Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #181
bobliefeld
Pledge

I reckon TGBK has no dignity at all.

The whole thing was about the groundbreaking business model. The actual music seemed like an after thought?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #182
bobliefeld
Pledge

Astral Planes coulda been good? I quite like the intro. It sounds like there's some cool guitar stuff going on. King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard or whatever they're calleds "I'm In Your Mind" album is that kinda thing but decent ???

Old 02-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #183
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm also still surprised that Oceania has such a big following. It's such a neutered, bland attempt at trying to "return to their roots". Theres a few highlights like Violet Rays and the title track, but overall it's just really plain and boring.
It's pretty proggy and grand in scope. It is a really good album that is held down by the Pumpkins moniker. It just doesn't feel like a Pumpkins album, and that's it's major problem. Still, it's one of my favorite Pumpkins albums.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #184
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
I'm also still surprised that Oceania has such a big following. It's such a neutered, bland attempt at trying to "return to their roots". Theres a few highlights like Violet Rays and the title track, but overall it's just really plain and boring.
Because Billy said it was a masterpiece weeks/months before it was even released. For some reason, the fans and the press swallowed it whole. I can't listen to "Oceania" in one sitting. Lame, lame album.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 AM   #185
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
It's pretty proggy and grand in scope. It is a really good album that is held down by the Pumpkins moniker. It just doesn't feel like a Pumpkins album, and that's it's major problem. Still, it's one of my favorite Pumpkins albums.
Theres just no cohesion in the musicianship. Byrne and Nicole never seem to lock in with each other and then theres just Billy doing his thing and it all sounds underwhelming. Whether it's Byrnes fault or not, Billy was never really able to dial it in with him.

Monuments sounds much more cohesive and tight. It's only too bad that the lyrical approach is so straightforward. But it's a lot more sonically pleasing. It blows Oceania outta the water as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #186
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
Because Billy said it was a masterpiece weeks/months before it was even released. For some reason, the fans and the press swallowed it whole. I can't listen to "Oceania" in one sitting. Lame, lame album.
Yeah, I heard all the hype and I really wanted to like it. In fact at first I was happy cause it was a clear upgrade from the total dog-shit of Teargarden... But I'd listen to it and it just fell flat... Even the couple of songs that I "liked" wore off in a hurry.

It just reeked of Corgan going through the motions with a bottom feeder backing band.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #187
fuzzyroes
Banned

I honestly think the Panopticon is one of the most embarrassing songs Corgans ever wrote. It was like he was determined to go back to the Siamese Dream vibe to prove that he could, but the result is something that's just so bland, sterile and boring. The hooks and melodies are so weak, no surprises, no peaks and valleys to keep the listener interested... Just a total fail as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:07 AM   #188
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Theres just no cohesion in the musicianship. Byrne and Nicole never seem to lock in with each other and then theres just Billy doing his thing and it all sounds underwhelming. Whether it's Byrnes fault or not, Billy was never really able to dial it in with him.

Monuments sounds much more cohesive and tight. It's only too bad that the lyrical approach is so straightforward. But it's a lot more sonically pleasing. It blows Oceania outta the water as far as I'm concerned.
The best thing about Oach is that it has that Pumpkins warmth about it. And there's a glimmer of integrity hidden in there

MTAE is cold heartless spreadsheets and synths and Jeff

Just look at the album covers

Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 AM   #189
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Idk about "really" good, but I enjoyed it

Old 02-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #190
chuckhagel
Pledge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
MTAE is cold heartless spreadsheets and synths and Jeff

Just look at the album covers
This is the most accurate and concise description I've heard someone do about MTAE.