Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #121
slayed23
Ownz

I actually still listen to Violet Rays on occasion. That was the best Oceania song imo.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #122
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
As much as I'd like to see Billy fall flat on his face for the way everything was handled, I'm actually predicting that this tour will be a major success.

I'm assuming they have someone like Live Nation backing it, and they go all out with the promotion and the production. They're focusing entirely on the nostalgia factor and they have 3/4ths of the original band back together, I think that's good enough to excite the general public.

Billy is actually lucky in a sense that the past 10 years were so under the radar. Most people don't even realize that he was still out and about making new music, so Live Nation or whomever can literally act is if those years didn't happen and that this is the first real reunion and the public will be none the wiser. Billy's Achilles heel was that he never fully embraced the nostalgia factor, he is now to the fullest extent and I think it'll get results. Sure, the hardcore fans know he's a sell-out wanker who's went back on his word, but most people couldn't care less.

All he's gotta do is throw another well known 90's band on the bill and this shit will sell like gangbusters. I think a lot of people are going to have to eat their hats on this one.

There is a little bit of importance on the new single... If he releases something again like Special K as a lead single it'll really stall any momentum. That's why I think that the new song will probably be pretty good. With all the money riding on the tour there was probably an agreement in place that the company backing the tour would have to make sure that the single is up to snuff. That's likely why they got Rubin in and the whole 9 yards for the 1 song alone.
I agree about a hit going a long way to help, the last time he had one was Tarantula. A reason Foo Fighters are able to maintain their status is they always have a hit or two every album.

The marketing has been great for the tour. That picture of the Siamese Dream girls all grown up is just incredible. I'm still looking forward to it. D'arcy being there would be the icing on the cake, but it's still a nice cake.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #123
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I feel like calling Tarantula a hit is a bit of a stretch. It got radio play mostly because it was the first single of the first "reunion"...I don't think most people remember that song the way they do any single off SD or MCIS. They were really the only two albums with proper "hits." I definitely hope the best for the new music. It'd kick ass if it sounded good and really blew up the airwaves. We'll see (lol).

Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 AM   #124
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I feel like calling Tarantula a hit is a bit of a stretch. It got radio play mostly because it was the first single of the first "reunion"...I don't think most people remember that song the way they do any single off SD or MCIS. They were really the only two albums with proper "hits." I definitely hope the best for the new music. It'd kick ass if it sounded good and really blew up the airwaves. We'll see (lol).
Yeah but so are Foo Fighters hits these days. I mean, yeah they chart. Tarantula charted. Fuck, GLOW charted. But, it's hard for rock songs to blow up these days. Atleast where I live. All people care about is crappy pop music.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 AM   #125
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

only kids and poor white people in the country listen to the radio anymore

Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 AM   #126
redbreegull

in the realm of streaming and youtube any genre of music can be a "hit" it's just no one but the niche audience gives a shit

Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #127
ilikeplanets
Braindead

that's true but tarantula was also released in 2007 and was still basically a flop. severely disliked by many fans and with zero staying power.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #128
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

lmao at tarantula being considered anything close to a 'hit'

Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #129
slayed23
Ownz

I would be next to impossible to release a rock song in todays age that has staying power and or crosses over genres.

Hypothetically, if 1979 never existed and was released tomorrow, do you really think it would be as successful?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #130
FoolofaTook

It would be successful with ME and that's all that matters.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 AM   #131
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't think Bill's had anything qualifying as a real 'hit' since Ava Adore, or maybe Perfect. I remember The Everlasting Gaze, Try, Try Try and SIYL doing the single rotation circuit, but none of them ever made any kind of an impact that I remember.

"Shiny and oh so bright". That's got to be from a lyric. Please tell me it's not a song or album title.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:21 AM   #132
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

It’s definitely the name of the song.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 AM   #133
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vn0wmt.png

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 AM   #134
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Honestly, that looks awesome as fuck.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #135
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaPhreak View Post
If there is a currently hot opener and massive promotion, then perhaps they can sell a lot of tickets given this period of 90s nostalgia.
Ok so who's your pick to open?

I say Garbage. I think that would work to bring back some nostalgia, they are still drawing a crowd and releasing new music. Opened for SP back in the day too.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:46 AM   #136
FoolofaTook

Boris (HEAVYROCKS!!!)

Old 02-15-2018, 02:46 AM   #137
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Someone tried to argue with me that JC wasn't on the Manson tour..that's how much attention people pay at shows now.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 AM   #138
FoolofaTook

Yeah that poster is pretty bitchin. Too bad the music will suck ass.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 AM   #139
vajohna
Ownz

Shiny and Oh So Bright (Starz Part II)

Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 AM   #140
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
They need an opener with a current or recent hit. Halsey or 21 Pilots would do the job.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #141
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stereo View Post
Yep. The smart play would be to do a smaller tour of smaller venues, that way every night is sold out, and build momentum. But ol' Belly has to go into CORPORATE ROCK mode, and thinks it's '96 again and he can sell out arenas (he can't)
He's made a ton of shitty decisions but this is definitely one of the worst. What in the hell was he thinking

Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #142
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonUnicorns View Post
Looks kinda Nazi-ish for some reason. Though still one of their most decent aesthetics lately

also that's actually the fucking name why why why

Old 02-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #143
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
only kids and poor white people in the country listen to the radio anymore
What about poor black people?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #144
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Agree with Fuzz. Promo makes or breaks everything these days, from radio play to download sales to concert tickets.

I'm probably alone here but I like "Shiny and oh so Bright" as a title for something. It gives me a 1993/4 vibe, something like "Hello Kitty Kat" or something. I mean, if we heard now that there was a new song coming called "Mayonnaise", we'd be like wtf??

Old 02-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #145
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

SP can open up for my band.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #146
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

I say Garbage.
Pretty fitting choice considering the reunion is also going to be garbage.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #147
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Agree with Fuzz. Promo makes or breaks everything these days, from radio play to download sales to concert tickets.

I'm probably alone here but I like "Shiny and oh so Bright" as a title for something. It gives me a 1993/4 vibe, something like "Hello Kitty Kat" or something. I mean, if we heard now that there was a new song coming called "Mayonnaise", we'd be like wtf??
what about mayonaise

I totally get your point. I think the only difference is now his quirky writing and assholeish behavior aren't saved by quality music

Old 02-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #148
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
As much as I'd like to see Billy fall flat on his face for the way everything was handled, I'm actually predicting that this tour will be a major success.

I'm assuming they have someone like Live Nation backing it, and they go all out with the promotion and the production. They're focusing entirely on the nostalgia factor and they have 3/4ths of the original band back together, I think that's good enough to excite the general public.

Billy is actually lucky in a sense that the past 10 years were so under the radar. Most people don't even realize that he was still out and about making new music, so Live Nation or whomever can literally act is if those years didn't happen and that this is the first real reunion and the public will be none the wiser. Billy's Achilles heel was that he never fully embraced the nostalgia factor, he is now to the fullest extent and I think it'll get results. Sure, the hardcore fans know he's a sell-out wanker who's went back on his word, but most people couldn't care less.

All he's gotta do is throw another well known 90's band on the bill and this shit will sell like gangbusters. I think a lot of people are going to have to eat their hats on this one.

There is a little bit of importance on the new single... If he releases something again like Special K as a lead single it'll really stall any momentum. That's why I think that the new song will probably be pretty good. With all the money riding on the tour there was probably an agreement in place that the company backing the tour would have to make sure that the single is up to snuff. That's likely why they got Rubin in and the whole 9 yards for the 1 song alone.
Understand where you are coming from and I disagree totally. Bill was on every talk show, Stern, podcasts, YT shows, his social media, a freaking Manson tour, local radio, countless websites covered all his tours. He already did an arena tour 5 years ago and it was a MASSIVE dud. James coming on for some songs will move them from 3000 seat shows to 22000?

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #149
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Looks kinda Nazi-ish for some reason.
it does because it is. It's Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia (on steroids.)

the background emblem isn't even subtle. fucking Reichsadler.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #150
in stereo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
Understand where you are coming from and I disagree totally. Bill was on every talk show, Stern, podcasts, YT shows, his social media, a freaking Manson tour, local radio, countless websites covered all his tours. He already did an arena tour 5 years ago and it was a MASSIVE dud. James coming on for some songs will move them from 3000 seat shows to 22000?
This is exactly right. The chances of success are very low.

Honestly if the band was ONLY the original 4 and the set was 95% siamese dream and MCIS, then he would have a chance... but as it stands there's literally no chance this will succeed. He should have done that in 2008 and the SP brand would probably be pretty good by now. Instead, he decided to put out terrible albums, go on INFOWARS, etc. There isn't 25k seat demand for SP anywhere. Not even in chicago. Just reality.