Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2019, 03:00 AM   #511
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
what happened?

>>>

Old 06-15-2019, 04:07 AM   #512
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Having to hit a festival stage visually naked when you have a crowd like Nova Rock (drunk and drugged and generally abysmal) is unfortunate.
crowd at Nova Rock and a sad looking SP stage

Quote:
Ein leider nur müder Abklatsch vergangener Glanzzeiten waren die Smashing Pumpkins: Die US-Alternative-Gruppe, die in den 1990ern zu den prägendsten Acts des Genres zählte, lieferte eine Darbietung, die die Bezeichnung "Show" kaum verdiente. Zwar gab es dank legendärer Nummern wie dem Schnellschuss "Zero", dem mächtigen "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" oder dem melancholischen "Disarm" einige schöne Momente zu erleben. Aber bei Billy Corgan und Co war an diesem Abend lediglich Dienst nach Vorschrift angesagt - abgedroschene Publikumsanimation und ein deplatziertes "Vienna!" inklusive. War schon die aktuelle Platte "Shiny and Oh So Bright" eine Enttäuschung, so entschädigten diese 90 Minuten leider nicht wirklich dafür.
https://www.vol.at/the-cure-und-slay...a-rock/6251084

ouch. Rock im Park reviews weren't good either, no chanting to GLOW.
While I can imagine that they might not be full of energy every night on this tour and all, sterile routine even, I still don't understand how anyone can't hear how good they sound? Does it really matter in row 305 at a festival if the guys in the front smile at you?
Then again I did hear the Bambam years and after, the Euro crowds and reviewers haven't, maybe they expect to time travel straight back to 1996.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 AM   #513
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

They should have hired "The Naked Man" for 1996 nostalgia. And gutting the audience...

Old 06-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #514
Beta
Pledge

two fun facts about nova rock yesterday:

1) during one song billy asked james: "do you want to sing your favorite song?" and james then teased "friday i'm in love".

why did they do that? because after them the cure was headlining the day

2) after "just like heaven" robert said: "that sounded like billy, hu?"
see here at 10h11min43sec: https://youtu.be/oZe-Wx_86lw?t=36702

Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 AM   #515
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I still don't understand how anyone can't hear how good they sound?

Exactly >>>

[Nova Rock]

Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #516
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
At least they will show a still, announcing the Cure at 23:10...

Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #517
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Bloody hell JC. (the nova rock everlasting gaze clip)

I saw the End Times tour with JC too, he seems to be in a very different spot now. He is always good and all that, but he didn't sound like this a couple of years ago. I don't understand drumming well enough, is it because the rest of the band is tight enough now to allow him to go on a roll like this, or because he enjoys it more, or a bit of both?

Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #519
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #520
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Gotta say that James's whammy pedal stuff on Superchrist makes it sound very Machina-esque.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #521
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Exactly >>>

[Nova Rock]

fuck me those rolls are tight

Old 06-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #522
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Bloody hell JC. (the nova rock everlasting gaze clip)

I saw the End Times tour with JC too, he seems to be in a very different spot now. He is always good and all that, but he didn't sound like this a couple of years ago. I don't understand drumming well enough, is it because the rest of the band is tight enough now to allow him to go on a roll like this, or because he enjoys it more, or a bit of both?
1) he rediscovered coke, 2) they are paying him more, 3) the band is just in a better place - even BC is acting like he means it again, and not just acting like he is acting like he means it again

Old 06-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #523
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #524
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Mellon Collie Vol. 2 is in the making...

Old 06-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #525
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Fangclub (opening act) - LIVE IN PRAGUE 2019-06-06:

Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #526
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Who are these homers that send him these ass kissing questions? Lol

Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #527
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
1) he rediscovered coke, 2) they are paying him more, 3) the band is just in a better place - even BC is acting like he means it again, and not just acting like he is acting like he means it again
There is no way Jimmy is on drugs. I think he just forgot how to play rock drums after playing with jazz boffins for so long.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #528
paranoid
Minion of Satan

They were sounding pretty good last summer, and now that they’ve been doing shows for a year their cohesion and power has increased. It’s like they’ve tapped into their old fire and it’s returning.

This to me sounds as good as the band was sounding in the late machina your, and that’s pretty dang good imo.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:28 AM   #529
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #530
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I just saw the cure playing in Dublin. Just Mustard, The Twilight Sad and Ride played before them, and we could see Robert and the band watching their concerts from the side of the side as well. RS is a cool!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #531
Kahlo

I'm seeing the same line-up in Glasgow later in the summer + Mogwai. I may actually die of happiness.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #532
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

The Smashing Pumpkins feat. Amalie Bruun (Myrkur) :

Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #533
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I know it’s Download which is a metal fest but damn that set is all killer no filler
I love when Muse plays Download, it’s like nothing was released after Resistance

Last edited by ninsp : 06-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #534
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
I'm seeing the same line-up in Glasgow later in the summer + Mogwai. I may actually die of happiness.
It was amazing, even though the bands played a very short setlist as the cure was playing a 2.30 hour concert. I've seen ride before and the Twilight sad is coming back to Dublin in October.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 06-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #535
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
half-relevant but i'm having this weird existential crisis where i'm remembering all the Weird Al bootlegs i used to collect and now they're just lost to time. should i find beauty or meaning in the fact that old footage is ephemeral? am i ever going to want to watch rock am ring 2019 again after downloading? the only reason we have footage of the 1955 world series is cause some guy set up a camera in front of his tv, and the whole game 5 is on youtube. and it's cool but like....would the world be meaningfully different if it weren't? 1994/05/23 pinkpop drum cam is one of the best things i've ever seen; it'd feel wrong to lose the footage now, but at the same time - it's totally accessible instantly and i haven't watched it in ages so like....why
more on this because i'm a crazy person:

i'm seeing two gigs[1] in NYC next week and am debating on recording them, or rather to what degree I should record them.

the last 4 gigs I went to, I just tried to be in the moment and record only a couple song clips on video for youtube/memories. the two before that, I got audio of the whole thing and took some photos. It seems like there's no correlation between archiving and enjoyment of the gig in retrospect.

Furthermore, listening back to bootlegs I made has the issue of evoking nostalgia; rather than just enjoying the recording for the recording, the music for the music, I think about where I was in my life at the time, miss the past, think about how annoying it was finding parking at the gig, how I felt after the gig emotionally [read: sadboi hours], meeting the singer and saying something dumb, etc. My life is too entwined in that recording.

If I listen to something like the SD record release show, there's none of that. Fuck, I wasn't even born. Some guy taped it and it sounds great yay! Not to mention the mystique of it being in the past, something I can only experience secondhand. It's almost ethereal - the perfection of the gig has been safely cemented in time, unencumbered by gritty reality.

fuck
_________

1: Hatchie and Alvvays. and cause i'm crazy and can't enjoy music unless I know how the songs go and/or I already like the band, I tried to brute-force obsess over the other bands on the bill [Japanese Breakfast (which went well cause they're great), the Courtneys (fucking every drum beat is kick/snare every song; great fuzz tones), Ellis (watched a radio session and I maybe should try harder)]

Old 06-19-2019, 02:30 AM   #536
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

The Rock Am Ring gig here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_6h...w?usp=drivesdk

Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #537
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Thank you, been waiting for weeks to watch that.

I try to like Jeff, I really do. I think it’s great to see Jeff and James get along, having both worlds of SP collide. I had no problems with Jeff before James came back, and even had my head up my ass thinking he was better than James. I’m a young SP fan so this is really the closest thing I got to experiencing the OG lineup, sans D’arcy. James quickly became probably my favorite guitarist and is a huge influence on me as I prefer to do subtle atmospheric/ambient touches and screw around with noise effects than wank all over my guitar. After seeing the magic James does live and even watching Billy shred all over the place, it just pisses me off how bad Jeff sounds. He’s not entirely useless. He works off of James pretty well on Eye and Ava Adore. My favorite performance from him was Knights of Malta. THAT’S what he should be doing. I know it must be boring as shit to play nothing but chords now instead of being Jeff “The Shredder” Schroeder but for fuck’s sake, SERVE THE SONG. His soloing on Siva was the most tasteless wankery I have ever heard of. He has his moments but what the hell was that? I’m horrible at guitar soloing but was he even trying there? I saw the Tiberius mistake Katie did at the beginning which was awkward and it was amusing that the crowd was chanting G.L.O.W. lyrics during Superchrist. You guys said Jeff came in early during Superchrist and Billy yelled at him. It was like one note so it wasn’t even that noticeable but Billy yelling at Jeff mid-song was amusing. I’m very glad James and Jimmy are back, they added so much life back into the band and even Billy seems to see that. Never seen the man so happy to play with his own band. It’s very refreshing. Was there this much banter back in SP’s prime? I know it sounds 25% forced but they all seem to be having a good time. It’s entertaining to watch James being funny and rockin’ out with everyone. Definitely the coolest guy on stage (along with Jimmy, of course).

Last edited by 4.40 : 06-19-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #538
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy yelling at Jeff for that is ironic, as Billy himself made at least 3 mistakes in Amsterdam. He forgot to turn on his guitar a few times... Looked at Jeff the third time and said "I fucked it up", both laughed.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #539
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Billy yelling at Jeff for that is ironic, as Billy himself made at least 3 mistakes in Amsterdam. He forgot to turn on his guitar a few times... Looked at Jeff the third time and said "I fucked it up", both laughed.
Billy overreacted over something that wasn’t even that bad of a mistake. Before watching the stream I thought Jeff was going to play the riff early while everyone scrambles to adapt. They laugh it off but then you see Billy lecturing him for a second during the Jimmy solo. Worth it for the meme posted earlier. If that was so bad then I’m surprised to see what Billy did to Katie after that Tiberius mishap.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #540
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.40 View Post
then I’m surprised to see what Billy did to Katie after that Tiberius mishap.

...reminded me of this: