Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
patrick
Minion of Satan

Exclamation as of early next month, i will be a starbucks barista

my first job ever. i'm sort of excited.

is there anyone here who has done this before? anything i should know/be warned about?

Old 01-15-2003, 01:12 AM   #2
FearFactory
Socialphobic

Be ready for thousands of trendy people with nothing better to do than spend their money on over-priced coffee just for the image that will snap at you when you don't get their double latte with peppermint shavings just right.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
patrick
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by FearFactory
Be ready for thousands of trendy people with nothing better to do than spend their money on over-priced coffee just for the image that will snap at you when you don't get their double latte with peppermint shavings just right.
well i already assumed thaaaaaat.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
patrick
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Delta
thats a cool job. if i had any people skills at all i think id enjoy doing something like that
i have loads of people skills, but they are reserved for when i actually need them. hopefully i won't become jaded too quickly :erm

Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 AM   #5
My lgloo
Pledge

Starbucks is the Gap of Coffee Shops.

Yay 4 Monoculture.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #6
patrick
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by My lgloo
Starbucks is the Gap of Coffee Shops.

Yay 4 Monoculture.
i bet you love sitting outfront of monoculture, sipping on your 10-cent-less coffee while smoking clove cigarettes and writing in a journal with pages made of hemp paper, pondering existence whilst sipping to the bottom of the cup. fuck you.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

i was interviewed by them before. they did a stupid group interview and it was for a summer job. i don't even like their coffee or any of their coffee creations, but i lied through my teeth. i got hired by Godiva instead winnar umm they have machines that make the foam for you and you'll get jaded pretty quickly. don't turn into a yuppie that is all

Old 01-15-2003, 01:26 AM   #8
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by failure

i bet you love sitting outfront of monoculture, sipping on your 10-cent-less coffee while smoking clove cigarettes and writing in a journal with pages made of hemp paper, pondering existence whilst sipping to the bottom of the cup. fuck you.
i think starbucks is gross and so are the monkeys who drive SUV's with "save tibet" bumperstickers, but dude, that was a good comeback. you other brothers just can't deny.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 AM   #9
Ihaman
Sometimes, though.

starbucks has good chai

Old 01-15-2003, 01:34 AM   #10
My lgloo
Pledge

Quote:

that sounds about right!

except the coffee would COST 10cents and I don't smoke :erm

Old 01-15-2003, 01:36 AM   #11
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Second Cup isn't as.. stomach-lining destroying as Starbuck's. it makes your tummy happy

Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 AM   #12
Ihaman
Sometimes, though.

argh, i hate the hipsters who hate the hipsters who go to starbucks.

WHO FUCKING CARES WHO GOES TO STARBUCKS!

it's like complaining about the people who primarily go to dunkin' doughnuts, because they all drive cop cars.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:41 AM   #13
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ihaman
argh, i hate the hipsters who hate the hipsters who go to starbucks.

WHO FUCKING CARES WHO GOES TO STARBUCKS!

it's like complaining about the people who primarily go to dunkin' doughnuts, because they all drive cop cars.
BUT TIM HORTON'S IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DUNKIN' DOUGHNUTS JESUS CHRIST

Old 01-15-2003, 01:43 AM   #14
My lgloo
Pledge

Starbucks strategy is to subsidise new stores in order to under cut and close down local competition, stores will be run at a loss purely in order to wipe out others. This destroys any local character an area may have, and bulldozes the way for even more bland multinationals

Oh, and Ihaman, I don't want to be hip, or associated with any notion that being hip is a valid social preoccupation.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:45 AM   #15
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

Quote:
Starbucks strategy is to subsidise new stores in order to under cut and close down local competition, stores will be run at a loss purely in order to wipe out others. This destroys any local character an area may have, and bulldozes the way for even more bland multinationals

Oh, and Ihaman, I don't want to be hip, or associated with any notion that being hip is a valid social preoccupation.
that's why big businesses and the obession with expansion and BIG! BIG! BIG! is killing things like small businesses, and national businesses.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:48 AM   #16
My lgloo
Pledge

that's right Smiley33.

and by working or buying from Starbucks, you are
supporting and condoning their behaviour.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:50 AM   #17
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

but you also do that when you go grocery shopping from a big grocer company, buy most electronics, shop at a mall, eat at a fast food restaurant or a well known chain restaurant, etc. where do you draw the line?

Old 01-15-2003, 01:53 AM   #18
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

something that really bothered me the other day was stuff like brand names. like the nike swoop. while i was waiting for kypper today in the mall i looked at all the people walk by and teens are just walking advertisements. a few kids had the Nike swoosh from head to toe (the joke being that the swoosh thing is a checkmark, meaning "check! got that one!") and now i feel all yucky like i'm branded like a cow. but it's not enough to make me stop buying things that have brands on them. and if you try to take them off sometimes you ruin the garment. it's just enough to make me feel gross and kinda ashamed.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:53 AM   #19
patrick
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley33
but you also do that when you go grocery shopping from a big grocer company, buy most electronics, shop at a mall, eat at a fast food restaurant or a well known chain restaurant, etc. where do you draw the line?
FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FUCK STARBUCKS

Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 AM   #20
My lgloo
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley33
where do you draw the line?

that's for you to figure out. life ain't black and white and you can't fight every fight.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:55 AM   #21
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FREE TRADE FUCK STARBUCKS
no, the free trade deal just fucked Canada

Old 01-15-2003, 01:56 AM   #22
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Unhappy

Quote:

that's for you to figure out. life ain't black and white and you can't fight every fight.
argh the world is such a disgusting headache

TIME TO GET BEN AND JERRY'S CHUNKY MONKEY ICE CREAM.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #23
My lgloo
Pledge

there would be no problem if people grew up to be decent human beings
who didn't look outward for answers and satisfaction.

It's like everyone thinks life is a race to accumulate the most $$ and possessions,
and fuck anyone else anlong the way because they're just not playing as hard as you.

Fuck it all yo.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:12 AM   #24
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

Wink

Quote:
there would be no problem if people grew up to be decent human beings
who didn't look outward for answers and satisfaction.

It's like everyone thinks life is a race to accumulate the most $$ and possessions,
and fuck anyone else anlong the way because they're just not playing as hard as you.

Fuck it all yo.
Yeah. We should just listen to Nike and "just DO it."

I likey you.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #25
My lgloo
Pledge

I think the same can be applied to sex.

There's a culture of sex that basically states that you have to fuck
the hottest people you can find and be as virile as you can and it's
all about forfilling some sort of need to prove that you're the Alpha
Male/Female.

Sex isn't as important as it's made out to be. It's just an easy desire to manipulate.

Waaaay-hay-hay!!! STARBUCKS!

Old 01-15-2003, 02:18 AM   #26
tootsie
Minion of Satan

why is everyone waxing philosophic about getting a job at starbucks? i think it sounds fun. enjoy

Old 01-15-2003, 02:21 AM   #27
My lgloo
Pledge

Talking

yar, don't listen to me. i think i've passed into the iggy zone.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:28 AM   #28
Ihaman
Sometimes, though.

it's called good marketing, you cant have a product unless you have a target market, toys r us and kids, nike and athletes, kikwear at ravers, anarchy at goths etc etc etc.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:29 AM   #29
Red Wine Cage

Quote:

Sex isn't as important as it's made out to be. It's just an easy desire to manipulate.
can i use that quote?
that was nice.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #30
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally posted by Ihaman
it's called good marketing, you cant have a product unless you have a target market, toys r us and kids, nike and athletes, kikwear at ravers, anarchy at goths etc etc etc.
It's not just marketing though - it's also about buying power, and basically doing what you can to destroy all competition, even if it's just one store run by some guy who really likes what he does. The really weird thing is that kids now are growing up in a world where it's already happened, they haven't seen a change because it's already taken place, and they're much less aware that there's an alternative to these cookie-cutter stores. It's just kinda sad that you can walk around a city and see the same chain 5 times over, you can travel to other cities and see the same thing again, and eventually everywhere you go in the world you'll find they've got there first.