Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Mayfuck
Banned

Thumbs up public transportation

I took the train to work today because I was gonna need it after work. I arrived to work pretty much in the same time I'd use by automobile. Only it was completely hassle free, got to read todays news, mingle with the townsfolk (an attractive girl asked me for the time. wow!), and take a nice stroll through the hood from the station to my work, got some fresh morning air (it rained last night while i was asleep http://forums.hipinion.com/images/smiles/icon_shock.gif. i think i'm going to invest in a monthly metro pass this week and see how it goes.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

you got lucky

Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

tinwop

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

tinwop a bop a boobop a tinwop a bop a lam boom!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

starting with next thursday i'll take the train to get to work most days as well

right now i rely mostly on buses, which aren't nearly as comfortable

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

transit is awesome but unfortunately my city's transit is underfunded and fares go up all the time. montly passes are $98.75 right now and they're going up to something, like, $106.
i never have extra money at the beginning of the month so i buy weekly passes. they're $30/wk (going up to $32.25), and i know i spend more in the long run, but i gotta do what i gotta do.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
transit is awesome but unfortunately my city's transit is underfunded and fares go up all the time. montly passes are $98.75 right now and they're going up to something, like, $106.
i never have extra money at the beginning of the month so i buy weekly passes. they're $30/wk (going up to $32.25), and i know i spend more in the long run, but i gotta do what i gotta do.

Do they still shut down the subway at like 11:30 pm?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

Quote:
that's prtty crazy money

Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

nah it's like 2am. i take cabs by then anyway.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
nah it's like 2am. i take cabs by then anyway.

I remember being up there for a concert like 10 years ago and they had to have it over by 11 because the trains stoped running at 11:30. Even 2 am seems insane to me, but I'm from NYC so.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

lol Rider in public transport thread.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

coral gables has a free trolley that is pretty cool for us. there's a stop just about every block through the downtown area and a stop at the end of our street. hours are limited though

Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

yeah we've got something like that. good shit

Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I remember being up there for a concert like 10 years ago and they had to have it over by 11 because the trains stoped running at 11:30. Even 2 am seems insane to me, but I'm from NYC so.
that's effed. the only reason i know of shows needing to be done by 11 is cuz of curfew.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #16
Mayfuck
Banned

i think monthly passes here are 60 bucks. they hiked the daily fare from $3 to $5 in july. i know these are exceptionally low, and not only that our metro system is run on honesty policy, meaning there's no turnstile or anything like that at all at light rail and subway platforms. ive taken it 2 or 3 times a month this year and i've only been asked to show my pass once. they want to hike daily pass to 8 bucks by 2009 which is on par with other american transit systems but i dont think its a good way to get people out of their cars which is a very difficult task in l.a.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
Mayfuck
Banned

i hope today's show doesn't end to late or else its the ngiht owl for me ;_;

Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
Porceliamone
Demi-God

Public transport is full of window lickers.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
KrazeeStacee
Immortal

The CTA is fucked right now, although they just got some extension to their budget problem...but they're also starting construction on the north end of the expressway and they have already been working on (and will continue to until 2009) the south end of the expressway...so traffic's going to be the worst it's ever been. On top of that the CTA fares will eventually go up because they're never going to have a permanent solution to this problem...and routes are going to be cut.

Basically, Chicago is screwed in terms of transportation for the next few years at least.

I like taking the CTA when I can, it's just a pain in the ass most of the time because you never know how long it's going to take.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
Mayfuck
Banned

hiya stace face.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

i take the train every day, about an hour and half from my place to work in total. I like the train, i jsut read the paper every morning and sleep. Too bad its $250/mth.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #22
null123
Minion of Satan

they're updating part of our train system right now and in the mean time it's pretty much impossible to navigate SW Portland. it'll be nice when it's done in two years I suppose. owning a car is expensive and obviously not as socially responsible as riding the train. and long train rides are really lovely. I'd love to take Amtrak to BC or Los Angeles sometime.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #23
bardy
Immortal

Why is BART so much scarier than the subway in NYC? Like why does it make horrible screeching noises that are so loud I want to plug my ears.

Sac has some sort of light rail system but I would never use it.... or take the buses...

Fresno has a bunch of buses and stuff but the people that use these are normally pretty scary. seriously. there also isnt much traffic here so it would take about 3x as long as just driving.

and I have a company truck that drives nicer than my car and I don't have to pay for gas. That's actually my real reason for not considering public transporation. suck on that, losers.

I used to take the bus in college though. and it would run until 3am for all the drunk people to get home.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #24
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy
Why is BART so much scarier than the subway in NYC? Like why does it make horrible screeching noises that are so loud I want to plug my ears.

Sac has some sort of light rail system but I would never use it.... or take the buses...

Fresno has a bunch of buses and stuff but the people that use these are normally pretty scary. seriously. there also isnt much traffic here so it would take about 3x as long as just driving.

and I have a company truck that drives nicer than my car and I don't have to pay for gas. That's actually my real reason for not considering public transporation. suck on that, losers.

I used to take the bus in college though. and it would run until 3am for all the drunk people to get home.
I don't know what line you took but I always foudn the BART to be pretty convinient and clean and I've taken it between Oakland and SF. It wasn't any louder than any other municipal rail i've taken. The MUNI is a bit shoddy though. I don't know anything about Sac's lite rail. And Fresno scares me.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
bardy
Immortal

man maybe I just got a bad train and I am pretty neurotic... so I mean I get scared over dumb things.. but my boyfriend is happy go lucky and he started to get nervous.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

In one of my classes we had a group project where we mapped out our "ideal" city and we ended up more or less outlawing most forms of private transportation.

I mean everybody else in the groups seemed to be like...communists or something so I just kinda went with it.

It was more interesting to see what the other groups came up with. It seems like when you ask someone to outline what their "ideal" city is like they pretty much just describe stuff that's very similar to where they currently live. Which I guess is explainable for a lot of reasons. Like a lot of groups just had regular towns. Here's Wal-Mart, here's the mall, here's the highway, etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag
they're updating part of our train system right now and in the mean time it's pretty much impossible to navigate SW Portland. it'll be nice when it's done in two years I suppose. owning a car is expensive and obviously not as socially responsible as riding the train. and long train rides are really lovely. I'd love to take Amtrak to BC or Los Angeles sometime.

I take AMTRAK when I go to San Francsico sometimes. The 10 hour ride though just makes me more upset at the fact that the bill to fund the CHSR is nearly dead. CHSR would make a trip between SF and LA only 3 hours long. I love trains though, both municipal and national lines. I very much prefer them to planes becaues airports are a hassle and I love scenery whether its passing through coastal rangers or through the slums of baltimore. good luck though if you should ever arrive in LA. you'd be at the mercy of your transportation system which takes you practically nowhere.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy
man maybe I just got a bad train and I am pretty neurotic... so I mean I get scared over dumb things.. but my boyfriend is happy go lucky and he started to get nervous.

you do seem like the sheltered suburban type

Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #29
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
In one of my classes we had a group project where we mapped out our "ideal" city and we ended up more or less outlawing most forms of private transportation.

I mean everybody else in the groups seemed to be like...communists or something so I just kinda went with it.

It was more interesting to see what the other groups came up with. It seems like when you ask someone to outline what their "ideal" city is like they pretty much just describe stuff that's very similar to where they currently live. Which I guess is explainable for a lot of reasons. Like a lot of groups just had regular towns. Here's Wal-Mart, here's the mall, here's the highway, etc.
what class is this? i'm gonna take urban planning after i graduate. whenever i'm bored in class i find myself sketching maps of fictional cities. incredibly dorky. and i like to work out possible rail routes over a map of L.A. that and playing lots of sim city.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #30
spring
die 'til it doesn't hurt

what show are you going to tonight, Julio?