Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Thumbs up public transportation

I took the train to work today because I was gonna need it after work. I arrived to work pretty much in the same time I'd use by automobile. Only it was completely hassle free, got to read todays news, mingle with the townsfolk (an attractive girl asked me for the time. wow!), and take a nice stroll through the hood from the station to my work, got some fresh morning air (it rained last night while i was asleep http://forums.hipinion.com/images/smiles/icon_shock.gif. i think i'm going to invest in a monthly metro pass this week and see how it goes.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan
 
celluloid_love's Avatar
 
Location: creepyu
Posts: 7,225
Default

you got lucky

 
celluloid_love is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead
 
Rockin' Cherub's Avatar
 
Location: the amazing year 400 million
Posts: 18,194
Default

tinwop

 
Rockin' Cherub is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,521
Default

tinwop a bop a boobop a tinwop a bop a lam boom!

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead
 
Rockin' Cherub's Avatar
 
Location: the amazing year 400 million
Posts: 18,194
Default

starting with next thursday i'll take the train to get to work most days as well

right now i rely mostly on buses, which aren't nearly as comfortable

 
Rockin' Cherub is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Posts: 3,128
Default


 
The Pashing Smumpkin is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa
 
pale_princess's Avatar
 
Location: the barrio
Posts: 10,073
Default

transit is awesome but unfortunately my city's transit is underfunded and fares go up all the time. montly passes are $98.75 right now and they're going up to something, like, $106.
i never have extra money at the beginning of the month so i buy weekly passes. they're $30/wk (going up to $32.25), and i know i spend more in the long run, but i gotta do what i gotta do.

 
pale_princess is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
transit is awesome but unfortunately my city's transit is underfunded and fares go up all the time. montly passes are $98.75 right now and they're going up to something, like, $106.
i never have extra money at the beginning of the month so i buy weekly passes. they're $30/wk (going up to $32.25), and i know i spend more in the long run, but i gotta do what i gotta do.

Do they still shut down the subway at like 11:30 pm?

 
Rider is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan
 
celluloid_love's Avatar
 
Location: creepyu
Posts: 7,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
transit is awesome but unfortunately my city's transit is underfunded and fares go up all the time. montly passes are $98.75 right now and they're going up to something, like, $106.
i never have extra money at the beginning of the month so i buy weekly passes. they're $30/wk (going up to $32.25), and i know i spend more in the long run, but i gotta do what i gotta do.
that's prtty crazy money

 
celluloid_love is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa
 
pale_princess's Avatar
 
Location: the barrio
Posts: 10,073
Default

nah it's like 2am. i take cabs by then anyway.

 
pale_princess is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Rider
Minion of Satan
 
Rider's Avatar
 
Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler
Posts: 9,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
nah it's like 2am. i take cabs by then anyway.

I remember being up there for a concert like 10 years ago and they had to have it over by 11 because the trains stoped running at 11:30. Even 2 am seems insane to me, but I'm from NYC so.

 
Rider is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,521
Default

lol Rider in public transport thread.

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
mxzombie
Braindead
 
mxzombie's Avatar
 
Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.
Posts: 15,460
Default

coral gables has a free trolley that is pretty cool for us. there's a stop just about every block through the downtown area and a stop at the end of our street. hours are limited though

 
mxzombie is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds
 
Sonic Johnny's Avatar
 
Location: Centralia
Posts: 16,521
Default

yeah we've got something like that. good shit

 
Sonic Johnny is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa
 
pale_princess's Avatar
 
Location: the barrio
Posts: 10,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I remember being up there for a concert like 10 years ago and they had to have it over by 11 because the trains stoped running at 11:30. Even 2 am seems insane to me, but I'm from NYC so.
that's effed. the only reason i know of shows needing to be done by 11 is cuz of curfew.

 
pale_princess is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #16
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

i think monthly passes here are 60 bucks. they hiked the daily fare from $3 to $5 in july. i know these are exceptionally low, and not only that our metro system is run on honesty policy, meaning there's no turnstile or anything like that at all at light rail and subway platforms. ive taken it 2 or 3 times a month this year and i've only been asked to show my pass once. they want to hike daily pass to 8 bucks by 2009 which is on par with other american transit systems but i dont think its a good way to get people out of their cars which is a very difficult task in l.a.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

i hope today's show doesn't end to late or else its the ngiht owl for me ;_;

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
Porceliamone
Demi-God
 
Porceliamone's Avatar
 
Location: Out of a (head)case
Posts: 407
Default

Public transport is full of window lickers.

 
Porceliamone is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
KrazeeStacee
Immortal
 
KrazeeStacee's Avatar
 
Location: Sherwood Forest
Posts: 21,296
Default

The CTA is fucked right now, although they just got some extension to their budget problem...but they're also starting construction on the north end of the expressway and they have already been working on (and will continue to until 2009) the south end of the expressway...so traffic's going to be the worst it's ever been. On top of that the CTA fares will eventually go up because they're never going to have a permanent solution to this problem...and routes are going to be cut.

Basically, Chicago is screwed in terms of transportation for the next few years at least.

I like taking the CTA when I can, it's just a pain in the ass most of the time because you never know how long it's going to take.

 
KrazeeStacee is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

hiya stace face.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan
 
alisonmonster's Avatar
 
Location: gasoline alley
Posts: 9,019
Default

i take the train every day, about an hour and half from my place to work in total. I like the train, i jsut read the paper every morning and sleep. Too bad its $250/mth.

 
alisonmonster is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #22
null123
Minion of Satan
 
Location: bye
Posts: 7,275
Default

they're updating part of our train system right now and in the mean time it's pretty much impossible to navigate SW Portland. it'll be nice when it's done in two years I suppose. owning a car is expensive and obviously not as socially responsible as riding the train. and long train rides are really lovely. I'd love to take Amtrak to BC or Los Angeles sometime.

 
null123 is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #23
bardy
Immortal
 
bardy's Avatar
 
Location: helllllloooooo!!
Posts: 20,830
Default

Why is BART so much scarier than the subway in NYC? Like why does it make horrible screeching noises that are so loud I want to plug my ears.

Sac has some sort of light rail system but I would never use it.... or take the buses...

Fresno has a bunch of buses and stuff but the people that use these are normally pretty scary. seriously. there also isnt much traffic here so it would take about 3x as long as just driving.

and I have a company truck that drives nicer than my car and I don't have to pay for gas. That's actually my real reason for not considering public transporation. suck on that, losers.

I used to take the bus in college though. and it would run until 3am for all the drunk people to get home.

 
bardy is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #24
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy
Why is BART so much scarier than the subway in NYC? Like why does it make horrible screeching noises that are so loud I want to plug my ears.

Sac has some sort of light rail system but I would never use it.... or take the buses...

Fresno has a bunch of buses and stuff but the people that use these are normally pretty scary. seriously. there also isnt much traffic here so it would take about 3x as long as just driving.

and I have a company truck that drives nicer than my car and I don't have to pay for gas. That's actually my real reason for not considering public transporation. suck on that, losers.

I used to take the bus in college though. and it would run until 3am for all the drunk people to get home.
I don't know what line you took but I always foudn the BART to be pretty convinient and clean and I've taken it between Oakland and SF. It wasn't any louder than any other municipal rail i've taken. The MUNI is a bit shoddy though. I don't know anything about Sac's lite rail. And Fresno scares me.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
bardy
Immortal
 
bardy's Avatar
 
Location: helllllloooooo!!
Posts: 20,830
Default

man maybe I just got a bad train and I am pretty neurotic... so I mean I get scared over dumb things.. but my boyfriend is happy go lucky and he started to get nervous.

 
bardy is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
ravenguy2000
NO FATS
 
ravenguy2000's Avatar
 
Location: NO FEMS
Posts: 29,008
Default

In one of my classes we had a group project where we mapped out our "ideal" city and we ended up more or less outlawing most forms of private transportation.

I mean everybody else in the groups seemed to be like...communists or something so I just kinda went with it.

It was more interesting to see what the other groups came up with. It seems like when you ask someone to outline what their "ideal" city is like they pretty much just describe stuff that's very similar to where they currently live. Which I guess is explainable for a lot of reasons. Like a lot of groups just had regular towns. Here's Wal-Mart, here's the mall, here's the highway, etc.

 
ravenguy2000 is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag
they're updating part of our train system right now and in the mean time it's pretty much impossible to navigate SW Portland. it'll be nice when it's done in two years I suppose. owning a car is expensive and obviously not as socially responsible as riding the train. and long train rides are really lovely. I'd love to take Amtrak to BC or Los Angeles sometime.

I take AMTRAK when I go to San Francsico sometimes. The 10 hour ride though just makes me more upset at the fact that the bill to fund the CHSR is nearly dead. CHSR would make a trip between SF and LA only 3 hours long. I love trains though, both municipal and national lines. I very much prefer them to planes becaues airports are a hassle and I love scenery whether its passing through coastal rangers or through the slums of baltimore. good luck though if you should ever arrive in LA. you'd be at the mercy of your transportation system which takes you practically nowhere.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy
man maybe I just got a bad train and I am pretty neurotic... so I mean I get scared over dumb things.. but my boyfriend is happy go lucky and he started to get nervous.

you do seem like the sheltered suburban type

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #29
Mayfuck
Banned
 
Location: i'm from japan also hollywood
Posts: 57,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000
In one of my classes we had a group project where we mapped out our "ideal" city and we ended up more or less outlawing most forms of private transportation.

I mean everybody else in the groups seemed to be like...communists or something so I just kinda went with it.

It was more interesting to see what the other groups came up with. It seems like when you ask someone to outline what their "ideal" city is like they pretty much just describe stuff that's very similar to where they currently live. Which I guess is explainable for a lot of reasons. Like a lot of groups just had regular towns. Here's Wal-Mart, here's the mall, here's the highway, etc.
what class is this? i'm gonna take urban planning after i graduate. whenever i'm bored in class i find myself sketching maps of fictional cities. incredibly dorky. and i like to work out possible rail routes over a map of L.A. that and playing lots of sim city.

 
Mayfuck is offline
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #30
spring
die 'til it doesn't hurt
 
spring's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,476
Default

what show are you going to tonight, Julio?

 
spring is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019