Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
Lorenzo
Demi-God

Default That's The Way (How To Bomb)

Wow this single tanked!!! I think it even did worse than Try, Try, Try, which is a hideous song. As we all though Billy has destroyed the Pumpkins forever!!! LOL.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist debuted #1 on the worldwide charts, I believe. Tarantula hit #2 on the modern rock charts. Calm down with that "Billy has destroyed the Pumpkins forever!!!" crap, will ya? That's the way didn't do too good, I agree. It's still a good (yet harmless and slightly dull) pop song. Nothing to be ashamed about. Chart success isn't everything.

I really like Try, Try, Try by the way. One of my favourite post MCIS BC songs. I'm amazed how loathed it is amongst fans. That and "Perfect".

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
DougieZero
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Wow this single tanked!!! I think it even did worse than Try, Try, Try, which is a hideous song. As we all though Billy has destroyed the Pumpkins forever!!! LOL.
So did Tarantula in a way... I don't think the video got a single play on American TV.

Oh I have fond memories as a 7th grader watching Coolio videos and BWBW all day long and wishing I were at the MTV Summer Beach House...

Now we have something called YouTube.

EDIT: When you say "single"... its hard to explain how much the single has changed since the 90's. It's not like Tarantula was sold in US stores... nor does it matter if its played on FM radio. This is the internet generation... we just download it illegally and delete it off the desktop, very disposable (like the 80's!).

Last edited by DougieZero : 10-23-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
robertedge
Banned

i personally think this song is going to sound better live,

Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Lorenzo
Demi-God

Don't get me wrong I love the song in it's live incarnations but the production of the recorded version is embarrasing!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
You Said
Apocalyptic Poster

lol smashing pumpkins.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #7
soulofbass
Pledge

the other day i heard the song in a seven eleven here in bangkok, which is quite strange. i stopped in front of the speaker which was placed in front of the dairy products area to listen to SP in public. what were the chances? 1 in 2000 maybe?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 AM   #8
areyougaffney?
Demi-God

yeah well even in their pomp (bar a couple... tonight, tonight being best example) their singles didn't do that well (in England anyway).

Old 10-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
ChrisChiasson
Apocalyptic Poster

one problem is that big label promotion seemed to be more important to bolly than rolling his own promo and doing internet distribution. especially after the recent radiohead and nin announcements, it seems like the bollster actually had his aim behind the market rather than in front of it. it is interesting to juxtapose that with his approach to the music itself, where his stated goal is to make music that is ahead of its time.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 AM   #10
Lyric
To Be Continued...

i'm pretty happy with that radiohead thing. i gave them no cash, paid no processing fee and hate in rainbows. damn glad i didnt acually buy it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i sincerely hope billy falls right on his face with this album just so that he realizes he needs to get his shit together and be serious about his music again,
rather than releasing an batch of embarrassing material with stories like "yeah so i just played something and jimmy joined in and it all just happened in 5 minutes"behind them

Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
xezton
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1
i sincerely hope billy falls right on his face with this album just so that he realizes he needs to get his shit together and be serious about his music again, rather than releasing a batch of embarrassing material with stories like "yeah so i just played something and jimmy joined in and it all just happened in 5 minutes"behind them
Depressed people do tend to write the best music. So we can only hope.

j/k

I think the next album will be better if only because Jeff and Ginger are (hopefully) going to have some input.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1
i sincerely hope billy falls right on his face with this album just so that he realizes he needs to get his shit together and be serious about his music again,
rather than releasing an batch of embarrassing material with stories like "yeah so i just played something and jimmy joined in and it all just happened in 5 minutes"behind them
either that or he'll give up on music altogether and attempt to cultivate his poetry career.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by xezton
I think the next album will be better if only because Jeff and Ginger are (hopefully) going to have some input.
the next album will be better. Jeff and Ginger will have nothing to do with it, Corgan will be unsatisfied with the lack of attention for Zeitgeist and he will kick back into Pretentious Wanker mode (AKA the mode where he makes his best music). He'll hole himself up somewhere and forge something obsessively detailed.

or he'll just pump out something mediocre every 2 years until nobody will sign him anymore.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
smashkin33
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
either that or he'll give up on music altogether and attempt to cultivate his poetry career.
this would anger me.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
theghostchild
Demi-God

Quote:

shut up

Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
skipgo
Minion of Satan

this is a man who does not handle rejection/failure/criticism well at all.
But is Zeitgeist really a failure? The problem comes from the success of mellon collie; if we'd all come to terms with the fact that this band will NEVER top the success of mcis, maybe we'd stop thinking of everything post mcis as a "failure". I think Billy's as hard on himself as netphoria is, so he probably considers it a failure too. So I'm interested to see what he's going to do with that disappointment.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

didn't someone already do "That's The Way(My Single Fails)"?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo
cue fertilizer quip

Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Aphrodisiac
Oblivious Virgin

I think it's hilarious how he can write songs like That's The Way and then put it on an album with songs like 7SOB and US. Is he desperately trying to make a new "1979"?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love the song in it's live incarnations but the production of the recorded version is embarrasing!!!
not compared to the rest of Zeitgeist

Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodisiac
I think it's hilarious how he can write songs like That's The Way and then put it on an album with songs like 7SOB and US. Is he desperately trying to make a new "1979"?
?????

1979 was on the same disc of MCIS as XYU and Tales of a Scorched Earth

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #23
Aphrodisiac
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower
?????

1979 was on the same disc of MCIS as XYU and Tales of a Scorched Earth
That's my point. 1979 was the poppy/appeal-to-the-masses song that worked. I think it's a good song too. But since then the pop songs have gotten worse with every new album.

And don't get me started on Zwan.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
wpc33
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Cheating on my wife with Kurt Cobain's wife. He'll live.

The problem with TTW, as well as most of Billy's new songs is that he's not giving us anything to relate with. If Billy writes a song that is clearly down to earth, people might remember it after the first listen

Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #25
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodisiac

And don't get me started on Zwan.
don't start on zwan

Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #26
WhiteHotSoul
Pledge

You never know, though. Who would have guessed in 2003 that Green Day would make another album as popular (if not moreso) than Dookie?

Maybe a future SP album will actually tap into the Zeitgeist like Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie, Dookie and American Idiot did.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #27
skipgo
Minion of Satan

nah

Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
<sp3

gets played a bunch around where i live.. and i even heard one radio DJ remark "i love that song" after playing it.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #29
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

skipgo has a good point there.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #30
skipgo
Minion of Satan

thanks for recognizing my good point joe. you're always on top of things. I like the drawings you made for the album elimination. you should make lots more.