Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #31
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Some of these have already been said, but:

Gish: The crescendo with that building riff and the drums when they come out of the quiet bridge is awesome every time.

SD: Silverfuck... Bang bang you're dead, hole in your head -> the first bit of the outro. Apparently I really love when the band explodes out of those quiet moments. any chunk in those last couple minutes is great.

MCIS: End of Jellybelly, All around Billy's sinnging in the final rendition of the chorus. I think there's some D'arcy quote about how he's singing in two keys at once, essentially, and it captures everything I love about Billy as a vocalist.

Pisces: Has to be something from Plume to me. "I just want to have some / little fun" and then the start of that solo is incredible, sexiest moment in all of Pumpkins history.

Adore: Outro of shame. "Hello, goodbye, you know, you made us cry" is a really powerful lyric for me.

Machina: Wound. "Last night I turned around and thought I saw myself turning / inside the strangest dream of life unloved and cities burning." Or "If you wait I will wait / Taste I will taste / If you love I will love / Run I will run / Till my last breath." This song is so beautiful and desperate, definitely some of my favorite Pumpkins lyrics.

ZG: Not super into this album at all (surprise, surprise) but the intro to Doomsday Clock comes to mind, and the solo from Neverlost, and bits of United States.

TBK: Whatever the quietest ten seconds are on the whole thing. Like, if one of those songs has a fade out outro with some silence tacked onto the end of it, that'd be awesome.

Oceania: The entrance of the group vocals on Pinwheels is pretty special. It's the moment I'm most fine thinking about that band as "The Smashing Pumpkins." There's something really sweet about it.

Monuments: The bridge in Tiberius fucking rules. It almost sounds like Tool to me. Literally the only bit of the album I really give a shit about.

Shiny: The song as a whole is nothing special, but the riffing at the very end of Seek and You Shall Destroy is super fun and unfortunately only lasts about 10 seconds. Chorus of Slivery Slumtimes is pretty good too.

Cyr: There are actually a lot of contenders here. Of course, none of them really compete with most of the above. But there's plenty of snippets that stand out and remind me of why I like the Pumpkins. I love Colour of Love's switch up in the second verse... "I gave it all as all was asked/ as pieces of eight fall from grasp / whomever asks for more than that / they cant behold you." The chorus or outro of Starrcraft. The chorus of Purple Blood. "if they say its not suicide..." bridge in Telegenix. The drums around the cheesy "October loves you / strawberries love you / who wouldn't love you" bit are really tastefully done and I like them a lot. Hell, i even get excited for that super synthy bridge in Ramona, even though I don't like that song. Cyr has lots of little moments that i love even if the surrounding contexts don't hold up as well.

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 02-07-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #32
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 02-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #33
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
The best part of TFE is ejecting it from the CD player
Nice

Old 02-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #34
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

SP.

ZG - the drums and guitar bit leading up to "every moment I misunderstood".
TBK - Intro to Astral Planes or the bit with Nicole vox on Lightning Strikes
Oceania - the bit in the title track where the drums and bass fade back in with some synth
Monuments - That bit in Tiberius or the that bit in Monuments
Shiny V1 - "In merry tiiiiiime.." from Alienation or the final bits of the solo on Silvery Sometimes going back into the verse or whatever where there's this little twinkly synth chimes sound fading out
Cyr - Can't narrow it down there's tonnes of good moments on it. Maybe the bit with the quiet, fading arpeggiated synth in Anno Satana. It doesn't really come together as a great record but is full of great moments.

Solo.

TFE - Intro to walking shade.
Ogilala - Great record. Maybe "I just get tired".
Cotillions - Great record. Maybe that bit in the title track or the bit in that one song where he sings really high

Couldn't care less about the old shit.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #35
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 02-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #36
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Don't know if these are strictly 10 seconds, but my favorite little moments on each album:

Gish: "She knows" in "Rhinoceros."

Siamese Dream: The little moment at the end of "Silverfuck" where you can hear the noise subside (but the amps still hissing) and Billy jokes "this take, don't give a fuck." It's the perfect moment of getting out of the labyrinth of that song (and the album in general) into the gentler and beautiful "Sweet, Sweet" and "Luna."

Mellon Collie: Outro of "Jellybelly" (first part) and outro of "Beautiful" (second part).

Adore: "Take a day, plant some trees..."

Machina: "I blow the dust of my guitaaaaars in the attic with the stars"

Machina II: "Love is everything I want" in "Home."

Zwan: Any 10 seconds in the quiet part of the song that links "Jesus, I" into "Mary Star of the Sea." The one moment on the album where the band completely lived up to its initial promise, and showed the ways that Zwan could perform in ways the original Smashing Pumpkins could not.

TFE: "Who needs pain to survive..." in "TheCameraEye"

Zeitgeist: The quiet portion of "Tarantula" into the outro: again, the one moment on the album wherein Billy made good on bringing back the Smashing Pumpkins name for reasons other than just cashing out.

TbK: Always been a sucker for that second guitar solo on "A Song for a Son."

Oceania: That guitar solo in "Inkless" where all the rhythm guitars completely drop out. It make such a difference to whole dynamic of a typical Billy Corgan solo.

Monuments: The breakdown in "Tiberius." I think Billy called it a "viking wizard part" or something to that effect on his blog when recording the album. It's typical Billy silliness, but actually works perfectly to describe that moment. I was genuinely excited to see the band play this in 2019.

Shiny 1: Iha backwards guitar solo in "Knights of Malta." I can understand having issues with the song as a whole, but that moment showcases the kind of Iha noodling missing on the 2007-2014 material.

CYR: Billy swinging "swoon" in "Save Your Tears" with that simple but effective synth pattern in the background. Again, a single moment on an album that probably sums up the vibe Billy wanted on the whole work.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #37
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Best ten seconds in Mellon collie is “and you can tell, it’s just as well”

Old 02-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #38
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I’d maybe go with the following:

Gish:
Bury me @ 3:26 — the “She waits... bury me” part.

Siamese Dream:
Geek USA @ 4:14 — Jimmy’s drum fill leading into the slowed-down wall of Big Muff.

Pisces Iscariot:
Blew Away @ 2:24 — Billy’s beautiful solo leading into the wall of Big Muff.

MCIS:
1979 @ 2:32 — that amazing bridge.

TAFH:
Dreaming @ 2:40 — “Imaging something of your very own,” with the Mellotron strings underneath.

Adore:
Blank Page @ 3:01 — “The rain falls, my friends call—leaking rain on the phone.”

Machina:
Stand Inside Your Love @ 2:58 — James’ e-bow solo.

Zeitgeist:
United States @ 8:06 — the “Let me be every moment I ever misunderstood” part.

And I don’t really care enough to have had a favorite 10 seconds of any album since 2007.

Last edited by Reyngel : 02-10-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
YES

Old 02-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
And once again
I'll pretend to know the way

Old 02-11-2021, 11:38 PM   #41
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Gish: the ascending open of Rhinoceros
Siamese Dream: when the guitars kick in on Soma
Mellon Collie: “I fear that I am ordinary, just like everyone”
Adore: “but for the grace of love” part of For Martha
MACHINA: the first ten seconds of TEG
MACHINA II: “you’ll never pull me OUUUUUUTT” in In My Body
Zeitgeist: the breakdown in Tarantula. The only time since MCIS Billy has grabbed the SP vibes again
Oceania: when Nicole comes in on Pinwheels
Monuments: when Billy busts out the SD vocoder in Tiberius
Shiny: the squealing SP1 solo in Marchin On
Cyr:

Old 02-12-2021, 12:51 AM   #42
Shallowed
Braindead

ok fuck it

Gish: Siva, "I just wanna get there faster", silent pause, explode back into the riff
Siamese Dream: Mayonaise, "I... just... want... to BEEEEEEEEEEE... ME!"
Pisces Iscariot: Obscured, "like a falling kite..." Billy's voice gradually fading into more and more reverb
Mellon Collie: Porcelina, That really high note held for a long ass time
TAFH: Pastichio Medley, the guitar solo in The Groover
Adore: For Martha, the build up into the guitar solo, and the guitar solo itself
Machina: This Time, "So cry these tears, we'll cry as all, we've held so long to fall apart, as the curtains fall, we bid you all goodnight"
Machina II: Home, "Love is everything I want"

Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 AM   #43
run2pee
Minion of Satan

This thred is fucken 5 star

Ram27, u are (fucken) all star

Thanks for keeping the sp board alive, u loveable Ram

Also, thanks to all the board members who took time of their only several lives to contribute their postings in here, u added enjoyment to my fri nite and for that, it’s likely that the All Mother may deign to grant u but 1 wish

Old 02-12-2021, 01:07 AM   #44
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Wait, shit, is it Thurs

Old 02-12-2021, 01:10 AM   #45
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Wait, shit, is it Thurs
yeah I was gonna say, it's gmt+12 here and and not even night time yet.

edit: i have inadvertedly discovered that the phrase gmt+12 is censored to gmt***2 on this board

or is it just ***

yes it's just +1

Old 02-12-2021, 04:00 AM   #46
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
ok fuck it

Gish: Siva, "I just wanna get there faster", silent pause, explode back into the riff
Siamese Dream: Mayonaise, "I... just... want... to BEEEEEEEEEEE... ME!"
Pisces Iscariot: Obscured, "like a falling kite..." Billy's voice gradually fading into more and more reverb
Mellon Collie: Porcelina, That really high note held for a long ass time
TAFH: Pastichio Medley, the guitar solo in The Groover
Adore: For Martha, the build up into the guitar solo, and the guitar solo itself
Machina: This Time, "So cry these tears, we'll cry as all, we've held so long to fall apart, as the curtains fall, we bid you all goodnight"
Machina II: Home, "Love is everything I want"
oh fuck, i never knew that line was 'like a falling kite'. how perfectly cozy and twee

think i agree on SD and the machinas

Old 02-12-2021, 04:02 AM   #47
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
This thred is fucken 5 star

Ram27, u are (fucken) all star

Thanks for keeping the sp board alive, u loveable Ram

Also, thanks to all the board members who took time of their only several lives to contribute their postings in here, u added enjoyment to my fri nite and for that, it’s likely that the All Mother may deign to grant u but 1 wish
awwwwww

must spread rep +++ thanks

Old 02-12-2021, 06:46 AM   #48
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't know if they last for 10 seconds or not, but:

Gish - Bury Me, when the guitar solo switches from minor to major key in the outro
SD - coming into the quiet outro of Hummer
PI - outro of Whir / ebow solo of Obscured
MCIS - the little quiet guitar breakdown in Galapagos / or when Porcelina kicks in
Adore - the very ambient quiet final verse of To Sheila
M1 - when the loud guitar kicks in in the first chorus of Stand Inside your Love
M2 - The broken up sound before verse 1 of White Spyder / the "woo" of the Dross intro
Zeitgeist - when Bring the Light breaks down at the end and it *almost* sounds like old SP
Oceania - Intro of Quasar / solo in My Love Is Winter
Monuments - hmm
Shiny 1 - when Alienation kicks in and it sounds a bit like MCIS
Cyr - "swoooon"

Last edited by eviltimeban : 02-14-2021 at 04:08 AM.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #49
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

It's kind of surprising to me that people like that "swoon" bit on cyr. That song strikes me as annoyingly lazy lyrically / vocally, but the music is pretty good.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #50
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

SD - when the distortion kicks in on Soma or " depend on me yeah until the bitter bitter end..."
MCIS - too many to count
Adore - For Martha solio obviously. In the context of the album it's not even close.
Machina - when the distortion comes in on I of the Mourning in the stanza before "I sit in the dark light"

Old 02-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #51
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

insert gif of that one dude from the Vieuphoria bonus going "distortion... DISTORTION!!!!"

Old 02-13-2021, 03:40 AM   #52
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
oh fuck, i never knew that line was 'like a falling kite'. how perfectly cozy and twee

It's actually "fallen kite"

calling the untr00 fan alert on myself

Old 02-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #53
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I also did not know this was the line, and I listen to this song constantly. I thought it was "fallen kind", which is not nearly as good!

It is weird that you can be so close to a song and still be blind to what the actual words are. I went my whole life without examining what the first line of Beck's "Loser" chorus was.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #54
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

you mean "soil a candied goat" ?

Old 02-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #55
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 02-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #56
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
I went my whole life without examining what the first line of Beck's "Loser" chorus was.
As if it even matter what Beck's lyrics are

Old 02-16-2021, 01:19 AM   #57
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Talking

this is an interesting and fun topic to think about. i'm going purely from what stands out in memory. if i were to actually put the albums on, i would surely have some different selections:

Gish - "like liquid peppermint" *floaty guitar, ascending bass line* "just taste the driiiiiink that sheeeeee seeeeent"

SD - "i shall be freeee! freee! freee of these voices inside meeee heee yeahhhh" *doo dunna doo, doo dunna dunnadoo, doo dunna doo, dunna do dunna do do*

Pisces Iscariot - "it's so unfair. when they can't see. that i'm the boy. who really needs. their loooove" then everything comes back in.. actually no! im going with plume, "oh yeah, another day, oh yeah, what a waste" with that dirty, dirty guitar sound and the intentionally not flashy drum fill following that

MCIS - "may the king of doom be forever dooooomed" or better yet the solo in this song. yeah, going with the climax of this song's solo. i wish i didn't have to limit myself to just one for this album

TAFH - jeez, this is a hard one.. i'm going with "you're the ageless seasons at rest, at last" *gentle strum*

Adore - the first time the soft, distant percussion comes in on to sheila, with an incredibly close second being the banjo part in this song.

Machina I - i really like the start of sacred and profane.. you're ensconced in that fuzz, and iha's line, and the drums sounding thick and syrupy.. pretty coll

Machina II - been so long since i've listened that it's hard to say, but i remember really liking the sounds of try, try, try alternate. that thin sounding palm-muted strumming, with the little repeating synth and the soft-ish sounding drums.. its a real nice sound

MSOTS - don't know, don't care

Zeitgeist - i really like that part in starz when jimbo keeps smashing the cymbal over and over and over

Oceania - ah jeez, i don't know. i could find one if i listened to it, but nothing stands out in memory like the above albums

now i will go read what everyone else posted and surely be reminded of many i wish i had remembered

Old 02-16-2021, 01:56 AM   #58
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Gish - Siva - daadaadaadaadada loud entrance near the end
SD - Rocket - intro with Big Muff guitar/band entrance
MCIS - Thru the Eyes of Ruby - "The night has come to hold us young" dat climax
Adore - For Martha - "but for the grace of love" chorus
Machina I - Everlasting Gaze - kickass drum outro + roll
Machina II - LMGTWTY - intro with lush guitar
MSOTS - MSOTS - JC fillz, 6:25
Zeitgeist - Doomsday Clock - intro, obviously
Oceania - Pinwheels - when the guitar comes in

#livinginthepass
i can't believe when i posted this i was still a child. i can't believe 7 years ago oceania was the last SP record and our best lads were out of the picture

i can't believe that from 2014->2021 is also the same period of time as 1993-2000

think about your favorite SP concerts. they all came between 2014 and 2021

Old 02-16-2021, 02:01 AM   #59
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
think about your favorite SP concerts. they all came between 2014 and 2021

what

Old 02-16-2021, 02:59 AM   #60
run2pee
Minion of Satan