Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #61
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
steve albini called SP, Liz Phair and Urge Overkill a bunch of posturing phonies I learned. He is spot on about the last two...
I just read that article like 6 months ago, found it very interesting.

One of the old-timers on another board I post at, he was kindofa scenester from Chicago in the late 80s & early 90s, and was around back when Smashing Pumpkins first started. And his view of the band is that they were a spoonfed privileged band, who made it not because of any great musical talent or creative invention, but who they knew. But on top of getting these great gigs because of who they knew instead of how or what they played (4th gig ever, opening for Jane's Addiction? gtfo), The Smashing Pumkins were total douchebags to everyone about it. They were like the stuck-up, snobbish rich-kids of the Chicago scene. Someone tapped them for "greatness" long ago, and they road the train without any piety whatsoever. That's fucked up. How Corgan is acting now, he's always been like that; it's just that only a few Chicago people saw it in the 80s, and then it was just really well hidden in the 90s. It's all out in the open now.

Albini is right.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #62
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Most of that sounds like a personal grudge rather than actual facts, so I won't comment. (Are you talking to Malkmus? Is it the Pavement board?)

Besides, the fact that nearly every opportunity in life is about who you know not what or how you do it. I know there are artistes out there that want to think otherwise, but I'm sorry it's just not true.

So what, they wanted to be big. Nearly everyone thinks/dreams about it a little.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #63
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post

One of the old-timers on another board I post at, he was kindofa scenester from Chicago in the late 80s & early 90s, and was around back when Smashing Pumpkins first started. And his view of the band is that they were a spoonfed privileged band, who made it not because of any great musical talent or creative invention, but who they knew. But on top of getting these great gigs because of who they knew instead of how or what they played (4th gig ever, opening for Jane's Addiction? gtfo), The Smashing Pumkins were total douchebags to everyone about it. They were like the stuck-up, snobbish rich-kids of the Chicago scene. Someone tapped them for "greatness" long ago, and they road the train without any piety whatsoever. That's fucked up. How Corgan is acting now, he's always been like that; it's just that only a few Chicago people saw it in the 80s, and then it was just really well hidden in the 90s. It's all out in the open now.

Albini is right.

You just basically quoted what Albinin said.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #64
vbshlofbvgos
Apocalyptic Poster

corgan was/still is an asshole and sp was very fortunate because of who they knew, sure. but to say that they got where they did without any talent just makes that person sound pretty bitter and jealous of them

Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #65
aomb1979
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post

Albini is right.
And this is a bad thing because...?
Fucking boring.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

seriously is that what albini said

that guy is a real jackoff.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Besides, the fact that nearly every opportunity in life is about who you know not what or how you do it. I know there are artistes out there that want to think otherwise, but I'm sorry it's just not true.
I should clarify also: getting the opprotunity to be popular band has a lot to do with who you know rather than how good you are but making a career of it takes talent. That's why Limp Bizkit is a punchline and [INSERT CULTURALLY ENORMOUS SUPERBAND THAT EVERYONE HERE HATES] continue to sell out shows.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #68
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomb1979 View Post
And this is a bad thing because...?
Fucking boring.
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You just basically quoted what Albinin said.
That's cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
(Are you talking to Malkmus? Is it the Pavement board?)
No and no.