Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #61
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
even jack black makes his first performance ever in cinema that didn't make me want to stab him in the throat with a screwdriver.
i have come to the conclusion that jack black is a phenomenal actor. he just has the misfortune of being jack black and associated with that low-brow fat loud guy personality.

i recently saw bernie with him and shirley maclaine and matthew connaughey based on the true store from a Texas Monthly article about an 80 year old millionaire widow who was killed by her 30-something year old boyfriend. Black played that role with panache and subtlety I didn't know he had.

3.5 out of 4 stars and that's just because nothing is perfect.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ilm_poster.jpg

Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #62
slunken
Virgo

word

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #63
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Being John Malkovich (1999)

lol i'm almost 20 years late to the party... again! bow wow.
i've been meaning to watch this for ages, but never got around to it. now that i have - it really is one of those gems. a truly creative, innovative, singular piece of work.

i would be friggin' horrified if i were john malkovich and i got a script like that. i read that he took (LOLOLO) some convincing to agree to play the part - but man, did he show up once he did agree. he really kicks his vanity down the stairs on this one. it's nonexistent. he somehow stays neutral in this vortex of self worshipping, self deprecating, and parodying, and he even manages to act out this profoundly strange scenario very convincingly.

it's also genuinely hilarious. i'd be hard pressed to remember the last time i lol'd at a movie that made me think about such profound things as this movie. i really love how it raises many different topics and sort of comments on them, without having it distract you from the main trajectory of the film. it talks about identity, imprisonment, fetishes, greed, exploitation, justice, relationships, love (mostly the darker side)... probably other stuff that may arise in a second viewing. it's packed with ideas, and just keeps branching out in unexpected ways.

i really wish there were more flat out bizarre films like this. i tremendously enjoy watching a film and having NO IDEA where it's going to go next. Charlie Kaufman's script is just brilliant, probably the first time that i ever really connected with something of his. yeah there's Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind but i thought it was probably a bit overrated. also wasn't a big fan of Adaptation back in the day. will try it again now though.

aaanyway, the casting, apart from john malkovich, is somewhat meh. john cusack sort of works, but i thought his performance was a bit tame. he needed to be more passionate, more creepy, more engaging. instead he just went fully for the 'boring geek puppeteer' angle. cameron diaz was ok, but she was never a fine actress. half the movie i was like, "is that even cameron diaz, or someone similar looking?". catherine keener was good i guess, she just played a very unlikable character. the light shines on john malkovich here, but as said - he does a fantastic job of balancing out all the nutty elements and remaining focused on performance, and not vanity.

why doesn't spike jonze have more films. this is upsetting.
ok then. *claps*. i gotta return some videotapes now. thanks for stoppin' by.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #64
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Anomalisa -

so, Charlie Kaufman. after that one, i decided to try his latest work from 2015, which he wrote and directed.

it's rather obscure (or at least it was for me), so, a short synopsis: a stop motion film about a lonely motivational speaker, who goes on a business trip and meets a woman that sweeps him off his feet. oh yeah, it's Charlie Kaufman so there has to be some big twist: every person the protagonist interacts with sounds the same, wether they're a child, woman, or whatever... except for that particular woman he falls for.

so yeah, regarding that... i once read a quote by animation filmmaker Don Herdzfeldt that goes:

Quote:
You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.
i kept thinking about it during this film, because everything Kaufman seems to do, always has to be very cerebral, clever, self-concious, and wildly inventive. he does have awesome moments for sure, and IS a great writer - but sometimes i find myself wishing he would lay off all those scriptual pyrotechnics, and just tell a great, simple story. display a bit more restraint.

it's kind of like the difference between a wanky, self indulgent Dream Theater song and a Paul Mccartney song.

with that said, the movie has lots of very interesting and moving moments. to me, it was most successful when describing what is accurately referred to in other reviews as "the human condition". just that same kind of commentary (as in Malkovich, that is) on all those little things in life that we all notice, but nobody ever really finds a reason to talk about: little strange moments in conversations, that isolating feeling you get when the door closes behind you in a hotel and you're standing alone in your room, what it's like to not even understand yourself sometimes.

all Kaufman films I've watched so far end on a sour, haunting note, and this one stays true to that tradition. it's funny how this whole movie, as a piece of work, goes in such a roundabout way in describing something fundamentally simple - being lonely, becoming infatuated with someone, and falling out of it just as quickly. but that's the whole idea of individual expression, right? everyone's got different ideas.

anyway, it's structurally very weird, and when it ended i was like "what?" - it sort of feels like a long introduction and establishing of characters, that suddenly ends rather abruptly. the stop motion work is fairly incredible, and the movie looks and feels very special and unique. interesting watch all in all - but not without its flaws. if i have one criticism, i guess it would be that it feels both under baked, and somehow, overworked. booya.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 06-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #65
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

adaptation is funnier if you watch it after being john malkovich, because there's that scene from the making of being john malkovich in adaptation.

adaptation is in my top five. i think I have a soft spot for nic cage. in the sense that if he plays an idiot, i buy in 100%.

I haven't seen Synedoche New York or Anomalisa yet though.

Also, Jack Black is a total virtuoso, he's been that way from the beginning, for me...but obviously nobody's gonna cast him in anything except short fat guy roles. It didn't help that his first dramatic-ish commercial role was in the King Kong remake, which was the worst film ever made.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #66
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yeah I got Synedoche New York on my list atm. i'll probably rewatch Adaptation too. sometime in the future though - i think i need a small break now. can't binge on overly cerebral jew screenwriter movies. Kaufman's a jew, right?

i want to download some Jim Jarmusch films but can't seem to find the right one

Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #67
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

i have stalked kaufman but I can't remember if he's a jew, strangely. But I mean come on, of course he is lol

last movie I watched was Being There with Peter Sellers. It was pretty funny...

Old 06-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #68
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Meaning that you can't find the file you're after or that you're not satisfied with what you've found so far?

Or something else.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #69
redbreegull

Jew or Not? – Charlie Kaufman

great site

Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 AM   #70
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Meaning that you can't find the file you're after or that you're not satisfied with what you've found so far?

Or something else.
well he has a fairly big filmography, but i set my eyes on Dead Man, and couldn't really find it for download on my torrent sitez.

you guys know any awesome Jim Jarmusch films? linkordie kthxbye

Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 AM   #71
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
yeah I got Synedoche New York on my list atm. i'll probably rewatch Adaptation too. sometime in the future though - i think i need a small break now. can't binge on overly cerebral jew screenwriter movies. Kaufman's a jew, right?

Synecdoche, New York is pretty good. One of those films where the themes speak to me and are things I identify with.

Haven't watched any Jarmusch films yet myself, but I downloaded a few of them a bit ago. Just kind of picked titles randomly without reading the premises.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #72
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Oh god Jarmusch is lord

Down by Law

Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #73
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i have come to the conclusion that jack black is a phenomenal actor. he just has the misfortune of being jack black and associated with that low-brow fat loud guy personality.

i recently saw bernie with him and shirley maclaine and matthew connaughey based on the true store from a Texas Monthly article about an 80 year old millionaire widow who was killed by her 30-something year old boyfriend. Black played that role with panache and subtlety I didn't know he had.

3.5 out of 4 stars and that's just because nothing is perfect.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ilm_poster.jpg
Must see film

Old 06-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #74
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Haven't watched any Jarmusch films yet myself, but I downloaded a few of them a bit ago.
Just kind of picked titles randomly without reading the premises.
lol i'm so anal just the thought of this makes my skin crawl

i'm working on letting go though, 4 real

Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #75
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
well he has a fairly big filmography, but i set my eyes on Dead Man, and couldn't really find it for download on my torrent sitez.

you guys know any awesome Jim Jarmusch films? linkordie kthxbye
It seems to be available enough, but we can probably assume it'd be grounds to Pakula the thread if links are shared within it.

Dead Man is definitely my favourite of his by quite a stretch and nothing else will cut it.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #76
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Harambe Muerto

:/

Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #77
TuralyonW3
Immortal

everything by Jarmusch is worth seeing.

only thing I haven't seen is his first (basically student) film.

Stranger than Paradise was a little weaker than I expected

The Roberto Begnini Section of Night on Earth is the only weak part of that film

Coffee and Cigarettes is just pretty good

Everything else is fucking love

Old 06-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #78
buzzard
Minion of Satan

His bit about how to smoke like a Nazi from Blue in the Face deserves an honorable mention, too.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #79
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Oh neat I hadn't even heard of that

Old 06-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #80
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Also a special shout out for his Neil Young and Crazy Horse doc YEAR OF THE HORSE

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #81
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Old 06-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #82
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i recently enthusiastically recommended Ghost Dog to a friend, praising the surreal elements in it and the odd juxtapositions, and his reaction was:

"yeah it was kinda cool, but why did they have to kill the guy at the end??"

Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #83
vixnix
Socialphobic

I haven't seen ghost dog but those kinds of people crack me up. My jock flat mate was trying to impress a girl who was into lit, and asked me what he should read. I said catcher in the rye, because it's short and the language isn't too heavy. He finished it and I said how did you find it and he said, it's just about a guy who is walking around, and then he has a weird dream, right?

At least he read it, I guess.

Back to jarmucsh, I loved coffee and cigarettes but at the time I was a smoker and you could smoke in cafes in New Zealand and I spent half my waking hours sitting in cafes, smoking and reading alone. Being that person.

I loved broken flowers, too.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #84
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i recently enthusiastically recommended Ghost Dog to a friend, praising the surreal elements in it and the odd juxtapositions, and his reaction was:

"yeah it was kinda cool, but why did they have to kill the guy at the end??"
This is the movie that came to mind when you mentioned that title, and I'm kind of disappointed that it's not the correct one.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/p_O2Xa0M1PQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Old 06-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #85
buzzard
Minion of Satan

http://i.imgur.com/Ub0VYyZ.jpg?1

Old 07-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #86
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Vicky Cristina Barcelona -

Woody Allen film from 2008. After really digging Match Point, and wanting to delve a bit further into the neurotic jewish rabbit hole, this seemed like a good prospect.

firstly, it's highly entertaining, and like match point, it's very smooth and easy to swallow. Allen sure likes his actresses young and devastatingly purty. this movie features three goddesses, god they're all so goddamn beautiful it's too much to take sometimes: my infinite love Scarlett Johanssen (write a memory on each petal, definitely), Rebecca Hall and Penelope Cruz. and as the ultra-charming mega-alpha male at the helm on all three, Javier Bardem. tbh he puts forth a good performance. they all do, especially Rebecca Hall.

much like Match Point, it provides sort of a peek into this ultra-burgeouis world, and allows you to both bask in the cleanly, lavish, limitless world of the filthy-rich & beautiful characters (Javier's character's way of hitting on the two protagonists, who are, incidentally, two of the hottest women on the planet: walking up to them and telling them to join him on his private plane to a beautiful small town in Spain), and simultaneously make fun of it so you don't exit the film feeling too bitter about your own small time mortal life. maybe i got a 2003 toyota instead of a private jet, but i'm not as vacant as these ppl!

it's not quite as crisp as Match Point but it's definitely got some nice peak points and commentary. the staleness of upper middle class life. or, how this generation's indecisiveness and fear of missing out are basically cancerous. or, the insufferable burden of small talk. lots of good stuff.
there is one particular shot with rebecca hall's character staring blankly into the void as her dreadfully boring husband stands far behind her with a towel wrapped around his waist, trying to talk on his cell phone but getting bad reception. "what? you're breaking up! i can't hear you! what?". just spot on.

another highlight for me: the way allen treats scenes in this movie, where people engage in useless small talk, or greet each other upon meeting. he dissolves to another shot a second too early, just as if to say "just fucking get on with it, i can't stand these charades", or turns down the dialogue just as somebody's making a punch line to a terrible joke at dinner. really nice touches. i know Disco King will relate to this.

to conclude, i wish i was an attractive, rich Spanish painter who gets to have sex with those incredibly beautiful and talented ladies and go to bohemian feasts. unfortunately though, i'm a grossly unglamorous soon to be 32 year old, buried in his parents' basement and incapable of deciding where to go or what to do. would not watch again because it might make me kill myself once and for all and end this endless suffering, A-!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #87
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Oxyana -

a buzzard rec from yesterday in the chat thread. it downloaded really quickly, so i just went ahead and watched it right then and there. BAM. wait, should this thread include documentaries? is this in line with the vision, the backbone of this thread? does anybody even remotely care? i sincerely doubt it, so gentlemen, let's get to it.

for those who don't know (i sure never heard of it up until yesterday), Oxyana is a documentary about the city, Oceana, a small town in west Virginia, which is suffering a major prescription drug epidemic (Oxycodone painkillers).

nice camera work and photography all around. i had a hard time making out a lot of what was being said, because ppl are high out of their minds and mumble in a heaaaavy southern drawl (namely one big ass bald guy who looks like Nimrod's Son and always sports a bandana or a backwards cap).

i usually didn't mind it though because i got the general idea, and the movie does such a good job at conveying the atmosphere of that place. it gets into your bones. profoundly depressing stuff. so sad to see real people that miserable and helpless. they all say pretty much the same thing: there's nothing to do around there, everyone's bored, and those drugs are literally everywhere. had we been in the same situation, a good percentage of us here at netpho would probably try it and get hooked before we even knew it. there is always so much to go by in the way of considering your luck in life both shitty, and fortunate. gah.

aaaanyway. some shots are just harrowing. people have no teeth there. i'm not sure whether that's the drug or not (why should painkillers addictions harm your teeth? ain't like smoking meth) but that's how it is. also - after speaking about the crazy death toll that the drug is responsible for (lots of kids around the age of 20), you see this drive by shot of the town's misty cemetery. really dark stuff.

the movie is centered around interviews with a lot of interesting characters, and completely broken vessels of human beings. i really liked how the director conducted joint interviews with a few couples, and just by focusing on their reactions to each other (usually the face onscreen is not the one you hear talking), it really makes you see past the interview itself. that was, also, depressing as fuck. there were at least two ladies there standing strong beside their man and supporting him, and he's a total fucking deadbeat loser and his disrespect consumes her, but she's still there.

it kinda bummed me out to read after watching the movie that the director said in some interview that it's "hillbilly culture" not to fear consequences for being depicted using drugs and engaging in illegal activities for his film. the movie itself appears sensitive and non judgmental, but that comment kind of rubbed me the wrong way and made it seem like this guy's all like "lol i made my movie, if they're gonna get booked it's cool cuz it's their own hillbilly fault".

anyway, the obvious conclusion is, seeing as i'm too old for NZ, i wouldn't mind fucking up my life with some oxy's. it's obviously great shit.

fairly recommended watch, if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 07-10-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #88
redbreegull

Quote:
Oxyana -
Sounds pretty interesting. West Virginia and poor rural America in general are kind of a morbidly fascinating subject to me. As for no teeth, unfortunately a lot of people in places like the sticks in West Virginia just never go or don't have access to the dentist or other kinds of medicine. I'm not really sure how to express it in a politically correct way, but if you go to rural America, people seem to age faster, earlier, and in a more extreme way than city dwellers.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #89
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Synedoche, New York

originally planned to be a Spike Jonze film (who eventually opted out in order to direct Where The Wild Things Are, unfortunately - could have been intersting), this is yet another Charlie Kaufman installment. prior to watching though, i forgot all about that, and basically wanted to watch it based on Philip Seymour Hoffman, and a comment disco king made on some movie thread a while back. plus i'm in a shit mood and this seemed like a good movie to get mopey to.

so, hmm. this one is a real curveball. on the one hand, it's the kind of movies i wish they made more of - completely idiosyncratic, artful, winded way up into its own universe, avant garde, well written and executed. as with other Kaufman features, it feels absolutely packed with profoundly intelligent ideas, creative and unpredictable storytelling devices, and an inner logic that you have to admire, if only for its persistence to be completely true to itself without worrying about audience response, acceptance, etc.

but the thing is, i feel like it's so smart and relentless in its progress that you can't help but feel like you never get a tight grasp on it. it introduces wild new ideas at every turn, and i'm the anal kind of guy who likes to revel a little bit more in every meaningful thing, rather than jump quickly from one to another. it's almost certainly a movie that really rewards multiple viewings, but i don't see myself mustering up the energy to go through it again anytime soon.

why? enter philip seymour hoffman. the guy delivers such a painfully awkward and emotionally shattered person that it makes you cringe. it's not his first time playing a withdrawn, damaged kind of character - but here it gets taken up several notches. his greatness is in making you see his vulnerability and project it on the character he's portraying, of course, but it often made me think about his own death six years later, and how much of that character was, perhaps, real to him.

Kaufman's script is, as always, undeniably brilliant and brainy. i really fucking love how surreal the entire film is. and i love how Kaufman breaks rules that are so elementary, i would never even consider breaking them. for example, one of the locations in this movie is an eternally burning house that one of the character buys. and they fully acknowledge it! you can see when she buys it, she tells the real estate agent or whatever, "oh, i don't know, i sure am very scared of dying in that fire." great stuff.

as i said on other films of his though, i do, however, always get the feeling with kaufman flicks that he could greatly benefit from some restraint in his work.

Disco King, if you're reading this, i'd love to hear what you thought about it.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 07-15-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #90
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead