Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #301
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I like Pablo Honey too, I've defended it in the past, but it's way inferior to anything else they have done in terms of creativity. I don't think it's a bad album but there is literally zero reason for them to revisit an era which did virtually nothing to distinguish them from a billion other contemporary loud guitar bands. It's boring. Radiohead was growing so quickly that they were bored by the simpleness of Pablo Honey by the time they toured for it. To go back to a less developed sound from a previous era is just about the most antithetical thing I can think of to what Radiohead is. So no, they will never return to 90s style guitar music, you can extinguish your torch.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #302
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i honestly don't know if you are trolling anymore fuzzy but if you do i really feel incredibly sorry for you for having such horrific opinions

you're basically saying lollipops are better than a burger.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #303
redbreegull

btw there is tons of guitar on the new album. have you considered the problem is that your tastes are constraining you?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #304
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #305
redbreegull

my dad has the same opinion about radiohead, or pretty much any other thing I am into where the guitars are not loud or excessive enough. Black Sabbath for life, man.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 PM   #306
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
i honestly don't know if you are trolling anymore fuzzy but if you do i really feel incredibly sorry for you for having such horrific opinions

Not trolling. Was genuinely disappointed with the new album... Sounds like a lot of boring trite to be honest.

To be fair I've read a lot of mixed reviews though: seems the reaction is very "meh" or they really like it.

It just feels to me like they've grown really stagnant and don't really have much inspiration left... And I think the fact that they're dusting off really old songs backs up my impression.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #307
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I like Pablo Honey too, I've defended it in the past, but it's way inferior to anything else they have done in terms of creativity. I don't think it's a bad album but there is literally zero reason for them to revisit an era which did virtually nothing to distinguish them from a billion other contemporary loud guitar bands. It's boring. Radiohead was growing so quickly that they were bored by the simpleness of Pablo Honey by the time they toured for it. To go back to a less developed sound from a previous era is just about the most antithetical thing I can think of to what Radiohead is. So no, they will never return to 90s style guitar music, you can extinguish your torch.
I'm not saying rehash it. A song like Paranoid Android is a good example of what I think they could do going forward, you know being really creative and still having an edge or "bite" to it

Old 05-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #308
redbreegull

that was pretty much everyone's first impression of the album, but as at least 5 different people have said in this thread, it's really different than anything else they have done when you invest in it.

but if you are only listening for energetic guitar solos and drum rolls, no, you aren't going to hear what's good about it.

I mean you talk about the music having "edge" but abrasiveness has been a central part of their sound throughout their career. AMSP's move away from anything harsh or heavy hitting is a big shift for them

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #309
fuzzyroes
Banned

Maybe I'll give it a few more spins when I get a chance. But I'm really starting to feel like Thom Yokes turning into a one trick pony. It's getting sorta lame.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #310
redbreegull

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. This album is comparable to IR maybe, but it is totally, totally different than tkol, or httt

Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #311
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

https://media.giphy.com/media/13uaMxgBhGP9ba/giphy.gif

Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #312
fuzzyroes
Banned

but hey, nearly every 90's band who's still going is getting sorta lame.

Most good rock bands have a 5 year window of really great material before they fizzle out so what can you do? They had a great run.

I think die-hard Radiohead fans are sorta like die-hard Pearl Jam fans... They'll keep on enthusiastically digging the new material even when it's apparent that theres a constant regression

Old 05-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #313
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. This album is comparable to IR maybe, but it is totally, totally different than tkol, or httt
Just his whole vocal approach. Kinda seems like he's got his shtick or formula and just taking it to the bank at this point. But I mean I get that the bands nearly 25 years old. Gotta just enjoy the new stuff for what it is at this point and not hope for another OKC or Kid A.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:42 PM   #314
redbreegull

again, your constrain yourself by having narrow tastes mostly based in art forms which are decades out of style

Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #315
fuzzyroes
Banned

but fuck it, that's just one mans opinion... I don't mean to shit on the stuff if you guys are into it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #316
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

radiohead really ran their course man.

i mean, i know ya'll agree with me even though you say you don't. they just don't rip on those guitar solo's anymore. i think if johnny greenwood would let on a bit more of his 6-string prowess we'd have a rockin' band on our hands. but ce la vie.

i mean come on fellas, you can't deny radiohead would be much better if thom yorke started rockin' a bandana

Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 PM   #317
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
again, your constrain yourself by having narrow tastes mostly based in art forms which are decades out of style
Let's be honest with ourselves here: You don't honestly have a feeling that Radioheads already peaked?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 PM   #318
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
radiohead really ran their course man.

i mean, i know ya'll agree with me even though you say you don't. they just don't rip on those guitar solo's anymore. i think if johnny greenwood would let on a bit more of his 6-string prowess we'd have a rockin' band on our hands. but ce la vie.

i mean come on fellas, you can't deny radiohead would be much better if thom yorke started rockin' a bandana
You honestly haven't felt that there's been an artistic regression with the last few Radiohead albums?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #319
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Let's be honest with ourselves here: You don't honestly have a feeling that Radioheads already peaked?
totally nailed it

Quote:
i mean, i know ya'll agree with me even though you say you don't.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #320
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

Well the guy is a grown man who wears his hair in a pony-tail

Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 PM   #321
redbreegull

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...AR81130-02.jpg

Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #322
redbreegull

but no, I honestly don't think there is any overarching trend downwards in the quality of their music. In Rainbows is their best album to me, and although this was blasphemy when it came out, I see more and more people saying the same thing. tkol was underwhelming, but amsp is in a way even better than an album that is just good to me the first time because I had to work to understand how good it is.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #323
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah In Rainbows is definitely solid, but that was nearly 10 years ago. I haven't really been impressed with much since.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #324
redbreegull

they've only put out two albums since then though, you're making it seem like they have been declining for many consecutive records

I wasn't a fan way back when, but I imagine the release of HTTT and then the long wait for IR must have been the most frustrating time to be a fan

Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #325
fuzzyroes
Banned

from what you explain, it sorta sounds like you're trying hard to like it.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #326
redbreegull

lol look dude I'm sorry you don't get it because it's not in your face and obvious enough, ok? I do totally believe you have never had an experience where you didn't get music at first but found that by working at it, it becomes a more rewarding listen than one of instant gratification... which is why you prefer lollipops to burgers. you can always spin the same old albums ad infinitum if that's what you want to hear. for them to go backwards to pay homage to an older, less developed sound is the most hackneyed, boring, horrible classic rock thing imaginable, and I am deeply thankful they are not the kind of band that would ever do this

Old 06-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #327
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
they've only put out two albums since then though, you're making it seem like they have been declining for many consecutive records

I wasn't a fan way back when, but I imagine the release of HTTT and then the long wait for IR must have been the most frustrating time to be a fan
Yeah but to be honest I kind of felt that Amnesiac and HTTT were kinda spotty and regressions from OKC/KID A.

Who the hell knows though. They're still definitely one of the more creative 90's bands who've managed to stand the test of time by remaining relevant so you gotta respect that despite some of their hit and miss output.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #328
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
lol look dude I'm sorry you don't get it because it's not in your face and obvious enough, ok? I do totally believe you have never had an experience where you didn't get music at first but found that by working at it, it becomes a more rewarding listen than one of instant gratification... which is why you prefer lollipops to burgers. you can always spin the same old albums ad infinitum if that's what you want to hear. for them to go backwards to pay homage to an older, less developed sound is the most hackneyed, boring, horrible classic rock thing imaginable, and I am deeply thankful they are not the kind of band that would ever do this
You sound like Billy Corgan. Why purposely abandon a part of your sound just because it was done already? Why not try to build upon it instead of tearing it down and starting over?

Billy Corgans taken the exact same approach of "never repeating himself" and look where that's got us?

Old 06-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #329
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'd agree with that, but I'm talking about 3 album segments... You can only start again after 3 albums.
jesus christ, do you ever hear yourself talk sometimes?

Old 06-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #330
fuzzyroes
Banned

just proving a point about how so many radiohead fans unfairly snub up their noses at their first run of albums