Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #31
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Exactly.

Remember how everyone lost their shit when James just all of a sudden turned up on stage with Billy back in 2016. There were no months and months of "Me and James are talking about and negotiating a situation in where he will be allowed on stage to perform several songs under the umbrella of The Smashing Pumpkins."
But that didn't create any hype either. I remember on the following days the press was talking about Billy playing a new song live instead of them getting together for the first time in 17 years.

I think that's because the band was still active, recording and touring, besides the all the line-up changes worked as a distraction.

Billy should've stopped under the pumpkins name after Oceania (or even before it, as soon as Jimmy quit the band), so that a reunion would have a way bigger impact.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #32
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
But that didn't create any hype either. I remember on the following days the press was talking about Billy playing a new song live instead of them getting together for the first time in 17 years.
I didn't mean that the super secret 2016 James Iha surprise appearance created more hype/publicity for the band, I'm saying that fans (even netphoria) were far more excited about that one night then the big grand drawn-out 2 years in the making shiny and oh so bright announcement.

Quote:
I think that's because the band was still active, recording and touring, besides the all the line-up changes worked as a distraction.

Billy should've stopped under the pumpkins name after Oceania (or even before it, as soon as Jimmy quit the band), so that a reunion would have a way bigger impact.
Well yeah, like I said, I'm sure there were plenty of people who read about this new tour and thought "The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting? Wait a minute, didn't I just see them 2 years ago "

Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #33
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Honestly... It's as if no one gives a shit.

it literally seems like no one cares.
almost there, fuzzy.
think! you can work this out.

also, i can't believe there's another thread about this stupid tour and d'arcy. thanks a lot, fuzzy. for fuck's sake. enough already. i can't wait for this tour to be over.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I didn't mean that the super secret 2016 James Iha surprise appearance created more hype/publicity for the band, I'm saying that fans (even netphoria) were far more excited about that one night then the big grand drawn-out 2 years in the making shiny and oh so bright announcement.

Well yeah, like I said, I'm sure there were plenty of people who read about this new tour and thought "The Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting? Wait a minute, didn't I just see them 2 years ago "
I’d agree with this as well. I think there was some excitement when the name was brought back in 2006/2007. You really only get one, “I’m Back” where the general public are going to give a shit. And back then he immediately came back with the attitude of playing all the new shit. If they had really been gone for 18 years it would be a much bigger deal. I do respect the fact he wants to create new music or what is the point of being a band, but once you become a legacy act you have to find that balance between old and new and he never really found that. Going to a pumpkins show since 2007 just seems to have the potential to be an adverse experience. The plainsong tour seemed to change that though.

anyway, I am sure they are getting a guaranteed amount of money from live nation to do do this. I know about 10 people going to the Louisville show. I’m looking forward to it.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #35
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

He blew it by faux reuniting, releasing a lot of bad music and by creating the narrative that it was always him behind the music and the other members were untalented, uninvolved, holding him back by being "negative" or "destructive".

Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Apparently they will be featuring in the Guitar World Magazine soon

Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #37
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Thats cool. I bet the 100 or so people who buy guitar magazines will appreciate reading an article that's not about Joe Bonamassa, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Slash.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #38
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Hopefully the Guitar World interview with James Iha will be as informative as the one he gave Premier Guitar during his tour with A Perfect Circle last year, where he appeared stoned out of his mind and unable to answer the most simple questions about his guitar strings, tunings, or how he holds his pick.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #39
Ram27
dumb

tbh I'd be disappointed if James acted any differently

Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #40
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Well I dropped by one day and they played me the songs and they were definitely, very much a collection of basic chord progressions with Billy singing something about strange lovers. A girl made me a cup of coffee and she was very nice. Jeff is really nice and maybe we'll do some music together one day.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #41
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Hopefully the Guitar World interview with James Iha will be as informative as the one he gave Premier Guitar during his tour with A Perfect Circle last year, where he appeared stoned out of his mind and unable to answer the most simple questions about his guitar strings, tunings, or how he holds his pick.

By the way, James contribution didn't make the new APC album

“James and I worked on a few things but none of which made the record. When we started getting ready for the tour, James and I talked about the possibility of him going back to the Smashing Pumpkins, and that scenario started to get more solid, so we found a temporary replacement with Greg Edwards. I can speak for Maynard and myself when I say that we find Greg’s two bands very influential to us and we respect what he’s done, plus he’s in the family and a friend, so it was an easy transition to make. I’m very happy for James that is happening.”

Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

James was a weird guy to interview, it was only 20 minutes but he was so awkward I had to edit the transcription big time. Seemed like a nice guy, but not very talkative at all.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #43
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
He talked about D'arcy for two years, as recently as November he said on Howard Stern and Joe Rogan he was getting along great with her, and constantly talked about wanting an original lineup reunion, dating back to those Facebook videos in 2016 about being 'happy I have my friend back.'
Something happened. Something transpired that we don't know about. The Billy's-a-dick narrative is easy to peddle because he's done plenty of things to support that, but something happened. If he's so two-faced, contrived, and self-serving he would bring her back just for the reasons you underscored and treat her like shit. This decision borders on self-sabotage. The unique appearance of all four of them is striking and would stir up a little more interest. And despite what people say about her playing, she always had a strong following - maybe stronger than James. In all of those old bootlegs there is always people screaming, "D'arcy!!!" I want to know A) what happened to keep her from being back full-time and B) When he first offered to be part of it whether it be 1 song or 7 songs if he really meant it. If she did come on tour and play 5 songs and proved she could hang it could have evolved into a full-time thing.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #44
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Its not just that D'arcy's missing. Its that "The Smashing Pumpkins" have been an active band for the last 10 years, so they don't have that mysterious/exciting "what is this going to be like, will billy bring his A game, will they pick up where they left off in the 90's, are we going to get another classic album?" aura about them anymore. All those hopes were flushed down the toilet years ago. The best fans can hope for is a competent live show of 90's songs, that's not very exciting. It's certainly no Twin Peaks revival.
IMHO this is why you don't see "the kids" wearing SP merch like they wear Nirvana merch. The Pumpkins' 90s icon status was traded in for a decade of Billy's bullshit.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #45
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
James was a weird guy to interview, it was only 20 minutes but he was so awkward I had to edit the transcription big time. Seemed like a nice guy, but not very talkative at all.
But he sort of epitomizes the 90s/Gen X "I don't give a fuck" thing and I don't think it's an act. He's just awkward and funny. That was a weird part of their dynamic too. James and Jimmy didn't really give a fuck, Billy was outspoken and angsty while D'arcy kind of hovered between them. To me their music is timeless, but aesthetically they are totally 90s.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #46
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
Something happened. Something transpired that we don't know about. The Billy's-a-dick narrative is easy to peddle because he's done plenty of things to support that, but something happened. If he's so two-faced, contrived, and self-serving he would bring her back just for the reasons you underscored and treat her like shit. This decision borders on self-sabotage. The unique appearance of all four of them is striking and would stir up a little more interest. And despite what people say about her playing, she always had a strong following - maybe stronger than James. In all of those old bootlegs there is always people screaming, "D'arcy!!!" I want to know A) what happened to keep her from being back full-time and B) When he first offered to be part of it whether it be 1 song or 7 songs if he really meant it. If she did come on tour and play 5 songs and proved she could hang it could have evolved into a full-time thing.
But like I've said, why wouldn't he talk about it then if 'something' happened? Unless he were to talk about it, we are simply guessing. All we have to go by when it comes to his side is what he has actually said. This is why I wish he would actually respond to the texts/what D'arcy said rather than tiptoe around it. D'arcy was about as transparent as you can get by posting those texts.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #47
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
But he sort of epitomizes the 90s/Gen X "I don't give a fuck" thing and I don't think it's an act. He's just awkward and funny. That was a weird part of their dynamic too. James and Jimmy didn't really give a fuck, Billy was outspoken and angsty while D'arcy kind of hovered between them. To me their music is timeless, but aesthetically they are totally 90s.
I actually think the reason Billy and James were able to bury the hatchet to the extent of being able to record and tour together again is because of their personalities being so vastly different. Billy and D'arcy are actually very similar in a lot of ways, very outspoken and headstrong.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #48
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

https://www.facebook.com/Darcy-Wretz...3305250114536/

Does Buttcannon know, if this Darcy Wretzky-Brown account on Facebook is our D'arcy or a fake account like the Fey Wutt's on Reddit and Twitter?

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5B9B848C

Old 05-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #49
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
https://www.facebook.com/Darcy-Wretz...3305250114536/

Does Buttcannon know, if this Darcy Wretzky-Brown account on Facebook is our D'arcy or a fake account like the Fey Wutt's on Reddit and Twitter?

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...12&oe=5B9B848C
Not sure, will try to remember to ask next time I talk to her.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You can't say that here. Unless you are a Corgan apologist.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

...says the Corgan apologist.

Corgan hasn't been in a room with D'arcy for 19 years and thinks that Jack Bates is a better bass player. Don't you take his arguments seriously...?

Old 05-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #52
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Technically Jack is better than Darcy hands down. If he's a better fit for the band is questionable tho.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #53
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Technically Jack is better than Darcy hands down. If he's a better fit for the band is questionable tho.
Eddie Vedder's technically a better singer than Billy. He should take over lead vocals.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #54
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
IMHO this is why you don't see "the kids" wearing SP merch like they wear Nirvana merch. The Pumpkins' 90s icon status was traded in for a decade of Billy's bullshit.
Absolutely.

Although, I did see one of the kidz from 5 Seconds of Summer (5sos if you will) wearing a Siamese Dream album cover shirt on the interwebs somewhere. Maybe that's why they're not around anymore...

Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #55
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

He was probably Trying to find a MTAE shirt but Hot Topic sold out so he had to settle with SD

Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #56
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Eddie Vedder's technically a better singer than Billy. He should take over lead vocals.
That's why I said we can question if Jack Bates is the best option for the band, but not if he's more skilled than D'Arcy.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #57
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Not sure, will try to remember to ask next time I talk to her.
58 people are following now that D'arcy Wretzky-Brown on Facebook.

34 people are following D'arcy on her much more valuable Disqus account.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #58
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
That needs further explanations!

Grumpy and old men shuffling "Ruby" over the stage...

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 05-09-2018 at 03:09 AM.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #59
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

So does realizing that D’Arcy is drugged out beyond repair and can’t play bass anymore make you a Corgan apologist?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #60
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Does realizing that lol wut-ninsp is f*cked out beyond repair and can’t play fair anymore make you a D'arcy apologist?