Old 07-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

somebody gots to do something

http://66.media.tumblr.com/c7dd43101...qxggo1_500.gif

Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

man i wish i was on the bosphorus right now, smoking a "hookah" surreptitiously crammed full of golden Nepalese hash, watching the coup unfold.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
FoolofaTook

i dont know why i would be smoking nepalese hash in turky but o well

its all them AY-rab countries right?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

From what I'm hearing, it wasn't even the entire military that was attempting a coup, but some elite members of it. Many of the subordinates were under the impression that they were being mobilized because of a terrorist attack.

Regardless of the fact that opposition parties, civil society, and many in the military denounced the coup, Erdogan will still use it as an excuse to suspend liberties and tighten his grip even more, and will probably go after the opposition.

What I find interesting about media coverage of regime changes or attempted regime changes in foreign nations is that most outlets don't seem to place any emphasis on reporting where the populace stands on the issue. We hear about the military and the government, but few of the reports I looked at mentioned which side the citizens preferred, if either. Though it looks like most Turks did not support the coup, it seems most are also for secular liberal democracy, as opposed to Erdogan's bend toward Islamism and autocracy.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
redbreegull

Erdogan is staggeringly popular with older people and those living in rural areas. He is reviled by the younger generation and urban liberals in Ankara and Istanbul, but right now the breakdown, at least in terms of people who get out and voice political opinions, is in favor of Erdogan.

I don't think the media really knows the extent of the coup. Initial reports from EU officials were that it was massive in scale and very well organized, but it only took a few hours for the whole thing to unravel. It is most likely many people in the military had no idea what they were being deployed for, but I'm also not sure the coup was as limited as Erdogan says (his actions speak differently, the "purge" has claimed tens of thousands of people).

There is nothing positive from this outcome. The situation in Turkey will get worse (unless you love authoritarianism and right wing Islamism), the regional situation will get worse, and Turkey's relationship with the West will become more strained. Best case scenario is that Erdogan's crackdown and de-democratization will cause a serious backlash that presents a more serious challenge to his rule.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Last edited by Disco King : 07-22-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: I thought my post went missing but I guess I just didn't refresh the page

Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
Disco King
Minion of Satan

The disparity between the seemingly-small scale of the coup attempt and the purge of military officials makes me wonder if Erdogan is using this an an excuse to get rid of some inconvenient people by linking them to the coup.

Also, the U.S. seems to be chastising Erdogan for his heavy hand with the military, which is more than they did back when Erdogan was bombing civilians. I'm not very up to snuff with the politics of this country. Is the U.S.'s NATO relationship with Turkey primarily with the military itself, or Erdogan?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

NATO is a treaty organization. the Treaty is with the nation of Turkey, not the military