Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #61
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy: "Ask yourself why a tee shirt costs $25.. blah blah blah"

Well tees cost 30 at your tee house!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #62
slunken
Virgo

i know i can't believe t-shirt prices haven't raised in 25 years god bless pearl jam!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #63
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

"the fans are taken advantage of at every turn"

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #64
slunken
Virgo

i know its like listening to insider baseball with your host supersleuth bill corgan

Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

don't believe the hype

Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #66
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

LOL @ the girl who asked if he was married and got all heart broken when he found it's true and Billy is all.. "James tell her how awful I am".

Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #67
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

kid: "I don't think any other drummer on earth could fit into your band (jimmy)"

Don't worry, it is cause byrne isn't born yet.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #68
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Some of these questions are just rude, "why don't you get your teeth capped?"

Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #69
slunken
Virgo

there's worse

much worse

Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #70
Ram27
dumb

US magazine sent us a questionnaire about the new album and I just made everything up

lol

Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #71
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
kid: "I don't think any other drummer on earth could fit into your band (jimmy)"

Don't worry, it is cause byrne isn't born yet.
4/4 in the pocket

__

holy shit that Geek USA is rocking

Is anything known about Billy's 5 tape Christmas present? has that been leaked?

Last edited by Ram27 : 01-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

mashed potatoes

Old 01-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #73
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
4/4 in the pocket

__

holy shit that Geek USA is rocking

Is anything known about Billy's 5 tape Christmas present?
you didn't get a copy of mashgarden by potatoscope?

i figured that was like the Songs of Innocence of the pumpkin-fan's harddrive

Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #74
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
so you listen to 100% of "the stuff out there" and Zeitgeist belongs in the 1% of most powerful music. what else is in that 1% category?

I mean good for you or anyone who enjoys Zeitgeist that much, I just don't get why people need to degrade 99% of other music in the same sentence.
it's hilarious, safe guess is nobody here has heard more than 1% of recent releases (including bandcamp and co), let alone 100% of the music "out there."
jesus christ shut up.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #75
Bread Regal
Banned

a big part of billy's success is attributable to the fact that he's a ruthless businessman, which is the case for just about anyone who enjoys financial success in that industry. it is (or was) a line of work where the people with the means of production routinely squeeze every cent they can out of the content creators, the talent.

while the figures in hippy bob's story might be exaggerated, i have no doubt that billy seriously underpaid him, because you don't get rich writing checks. it's also possible that hippy bob was a really crappy guitar tech and the band always had to rectify his mistakes.

in general, rock stars are dicks, but most are better than billy at cultivating a nice-guy image, in part by delegating the dirty work to agents and managers.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #76
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

What a load of bullshit. It's a fucking rock band not Apple vs Microsoft. Ruthless businessman my fucking ass.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #77
Bread Regal
Banned

oh.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #78
Bread Regal
Banned

You can be a ruthless businessman without running a multibillion dollar corporation.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #79
Bread Regal
Banned

should i write your substance-lacking, profanity-laden response for you, or do you want to take care of that.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #80
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
a big part of billy's success is attributable to the fact that he's a ruthless businessman, which is the case for just about anyone who enjoys financial success in that industry. it is (or was) a line of work where the people with the means of production routinely squeeze every cent they can out of the content creators, the talent.

while the figures in hippy bob's story might be exaggerated, i have no doubt that billy seriously underpaid him, because you don't get rich writing checks. it's also possible that hippy bob was a really crappy guitar tech and the band always had to rectify his mistakes.

in general, rock stars are dicks, but most are better than billy at cultivating a nice-guy image, in part by delegating the dirty work to agents and managers.

Rush have had the same crew since they began. Their sound techs are experts in how tonality and the vibrations effect consciousness. They're that good and Rush has always understood to treat them like family and the machine never stopped and their money pie only grows with every tour to this day.

They cut the checks and reaped the rewards of the positive loop.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:36 PM   #81
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You can be a ruthless businessman without running a multibillion dollar corporation.
Quote:
should i write your substance-lacking, profanity-laden response for you, or do you want to take care of that.
Stop being such a fucking baby, don't dish it if you can't fucking take it.

Billy is not a businessman. You can't honestly attribute SP's success to him being a "ruthless businessman" unless you're also attributing that to his continued failures. There were a lot of people around SP that made them possible, including great managers and promoters throughout the 90-98 period. But all of that had nothing to do with Billy treating people like shit, he even treated his managers like shit and then fired all of them. Your justification for the way Billy treated people is misguided.

Billy didn't pay Bob because he's a self-admitted cheap bastard and a selfish prick. In this particular situation, they were decade long friends and that's how Billy chose to handle it. It doesn't need to be intellectualized beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern
They cut the checks and reaped the rewards of the positive loop.
The OC's right about this one. Great business are built on great relationships, fair and increasing wages, and positive reinforcement. I've been a partner in a business in the past and rarely have I ever come across a long running successful business that made a habit of pissing everyone off and not paying their employees. The most successful people in the industry tend to cultivate positive relationships with the people they work with, that's what good business people do. Billy chose to piss on everyone and now he is where he is.

Last edited by Araneae : 01-05-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #82
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

If you think what bill did was bad, check out what bowie did to the spiders from mars.

Also, billy is real shit at respecting and treating others fairly. He loves having people with little self respect around him.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #83
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Billy chose to piss on everyone and now he is where he is.
in one of his multiple mansions?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #84
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

He could pay people a fair fucking wage, especially in relation to how the band is doing.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #85
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

High turn over is not the sign of a good company or business. It costs a lot to train. Also, he probably had to hire someone at a higher price than bob.

Was bob guitar tech or manager?... i'm confused.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #86
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
in one of his multiple mansions?
O for the last fucking time, his "ruthless businessman" skills was certainly not what made the band famous or him rich. If anything it ended his career prematurely. That's what I've been saying this entire fucking time.

Also, I don't know what multiple mansions you're talking about, he just has the one in HP. Besides, almost everyone else who had a band in the 90s with a hit single has millions in their bank account, money was being thrown around like candy at the time. But unlike many of Billy's peers, they still sell shows and albums and don't have to resort to selling their songs to VISA.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #87
Ram27
dumb

how do i filter posts talking about the music industry

Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #88
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Was bob guitar tech or manager?... i'm confused.
Both. He worked as a manager in the pre-Gish years but stayed on as a guitar tech until he was dismissed.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #89
Bread Regal
Banned

the main point i was getting at is that it was always billy's ambition to make a fuckton of money being a rock star. even if you were a rockstar back then, getting heavy rotation on MTV, it was nearly impossible to make a fuckton of money without being a prick.

a record contract is basically a loan that the artist has to pay back whether they sell records or not. for every successful act on a label, there are a dozen others that owe the label a ton of money because they couldn't break even. when you get an advance for a record, it's a finite amount of money that you have to be shrewd with. the advance for a college rock act like the pre-gish pumpkins wouldn't be very much. you can't just make it rain for people because you're on a major label.

billy signed a 7 album deal when the pumpkins went from caroline to virgin. that's a huge commitment for such a volatile industry. even if you have tens of millions in the bank, you can't just make it rain for everybody on your staff. wages for roadies, techs, management, sound guys, lighting guys, production designers, auxiliary musicians etc. all comes out of the loan from the record company. and when your revenue is dependent on the fickle tastes of the music buying public, your revenue stream can slow to a trickle at any time, and billy was fully aware of that at all times, hence my assessment of him as a ruthless businessman. i repeat: you do not get rich writing checks. hippy bob's paycheck was just one of the many corners that were probably cut during that time.

billy is extremely lucky that he released five platinum albums with the pumpkins on virgin, otherwise he'd be in deep financial doo-doo like the bulk of major label artists. but he didn't know he would be that successful when he signed the deal with virgin.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #90
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Besides, almost everyone else who had a band in the 90s with a hit single has millions in their bank account.
Oh I get it now. You haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. Toodles.