Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #31
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Maybe in the future, medical interventions along these lines will be suggested even for people who only need to lose twenty pounds.
god i hope they at least refer to a nutritionist first before going through such a radical procedure.
there are many aspects to one's relationship with food that can be addressed through therapy.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #32
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

best wishes...I'm excited for you, to think of the changes this might bring to your life. Medication side effects have robbed you of a lot in recent years but the meds are so necessary...this seems like a very practical solution. will be thinking of you, over the coming weeks!

Old 03-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Most people who try to diet and exercise fail to lose weight or gain it back. All the internet articles about how people did it, so we can do it to, are probably an example of survivor bias: they were all written by the minority of people who were successful.
I hate this repeated statistic about how many people gain back weight or fail at dieting. (I believe the most repeated is 95% of people gain it back within 5 years.) It's because people think they can diet for a month or two or even 6 months, then go back to eating like they did before.
A diet is a change of lifestyle. We can talk about how hard it is to make lifestyle changes or keep lifestyle changes but it is absolutely possible for more people than the internet would have one believe.

Quote:
So many things affect our willpower and motivation, from pre-frontal cortex metabolism, to hormones, to upbringing. There's even some research that says that your gut flora and intestinal microbiome has effects on your behaviour and appetite. It's really a gargantuan effort to act against those things. But physical interventions, like altering the hormones that affect hunger, or decreasing the maximum size of the stomach, can give people a fighting chance. Maybe in the future, medical interventions along these lines will be suggested even for people who only need to lose twenty pounds.
Slow/fast metabolism, while not a myth, is wildly misunderstood and blamed for much more than it should be. Same with "genetics" and weight. The info has been so diluted over the decades and obviously is not helped with the companies selling weight loss "quick fixes".
I personally feel that shrinking your stomach or any kind of physically interrupting changes like that still don't address the root of the issue which is overeating, whether it be because of emotional issues or boredom or what have you.

Quote:
People are much more likely to be successful when we put them in circumstances that facilitate that success. Even something like getting people to recycle, that behavioural change doesn't happen just through PSAs telling people how important it is to do so. It happens when we make recycling easy and convenient for them to do, so that doing it expends little cognitive and physical energy.
This is a nice idea; I'd be up to do some thought exercises about it. However, people aren't overeating or eating unhealthily because they aren't in the circumstances to. Sure, food deserts exist but I'd accept that if it was just poor people who were overweight.
The US is super food-centric. We use food as an identity. Overeating is often seen as normal, down to the casual jokes made about it ("I want abs but I want a Double cheeseburger more yuk yuk yuk", as if u can't eat your double cheeseburger in moderation). Even a whiff of trying to get the population to eat to their own benefit is ridiculed as "muh freedumz".

Last edited by D. : 03-28-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

Erica, I know you Reddit, and I would encourage you to subscribe to r/fatlogic and r/askfatlogic plus maybe even r/loseit.

Those three combined have really really helped me when I've been discouraged or questioning or just need some stress relief. They address a lot of common misconceptions about weight loss and the struggle/journey.

A lot of fat positive stuff online encourages diet myths, defeatism, and pseudoscience. I don't want to see you get too discouraged!!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Slow/fast metabolism, while not a myth, is wildly misunderstood and blamed for much more than it should be. Same with "genetics" and weight. The info has been so diluted over the decades and obviously is not helped with the companies selling weight loss "quick fixes".
I personally feel that shrinking your stomach or any kind of physically interrupting changes like that still don't address the root of the issue which is overeating, whether it be because of emotional issues or boredom or what have you.
I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. Most people's metabolisms, when weight is controlled for, are within a couple hundred calories of each other. People with "fast" or "slow" metabolisms are very rare. It's hard to conduct studies where we can precisely measure how much people are eating, because people suck at estimating their own caloric intake, but the most well-controlled studies that are based on experimenter measures of intake rather than self-reports tend to show that people's weights are based on how much they eat, not on different metabolisms. People who say "I don't eat a lot, but still keep on weight" or "I eat a lot, but can't put on weight" are mostly just poorly estimating how much they really eat. Maybe like 1% of people actually have a glandular problem that significantly affects their weight. For the rest of us, it's calories in, calories out.

However, I think that genetics still play a role, just not in metabolism. Rather, I think it plays a role in appetite. Some people just feel the impulse to eat more than other people do, so resisting cravings is much harder for them. This is just my hypothesis, I haven't done a ton of research into it. But for some people I know, losing weight wasn't even difficult. They just snapped their fingers, said "I'll start eating less," and did it. Eating more than they should was more due to them not really making their diet a priority, or not paying attention, than feeling the compulsive need to eat. Other people, they try to eat less, and they just can't stop thinking about food 24/7. They start having dreams about food. I think these people are facing more of an uphill battle than the others.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #36
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
A lot of fat positive stuff online encourages diet myths, defeatism, and pseudoscience. I don't want to see you get too discouraged!!
Yeah, a lot of fat-positive stuff is literally insane, essentially on par with denialism of the link between smoking and cancer, or climate-change denialism. The difference is that it seems to be a rare form of pseudoscience and denialism that infects the left more so than the right.

I'm all for "fat acceptance" if we simply mean by that not discriminating against larger people, and treating them with dignity. A lot of research shows that there's rampant weightism in society. People often unconsciously associate negative behavioural traits with being larger. Larger people have more trouble getting jobs even when physicality is irrelevant to the performance of those jobs. One study even showed that larger women are often given less financial assistance than thinner women are from their parents (for some reason, this relationship wasn't found for larger men).

But if by "fat acceptance," we mean the conspiracy theory that there is no link between size and health, and that the medical community is just lying about it having negative health effects because they are biased and mean, and even that intentional weight loss is bad because making the decision for yourself to lose weight somehow marginalizes other larger people, that stuff drives me crazy.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #37
D.
Consume my pants.

Also, didn't want to seem.combative by quoting you haha. It just reminded me of a self righteous rant I wanted to go off on.

And upon reading what you're putting down, we definitely agree w each other.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #38
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

good luck, reprise! I have family members that have had the surgery and had great results.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #39
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
I absolutely agree that it's not addressing the root of the issue. However, it fundamentally changes your relationship with food and basically gives you a period of 6-12 months to 1) lose weight basically no matter what and 2) break bad habits thay exist out of laziness/complacency (as opposed to actual disorded eating in itself like binging or whatever) 3) figure out how to improve that relationship.

Quote:
Erica, I know you Reddit, and I would encourage you to subscribe to r/fatlogic and r/askfatlogic plus maybe even r/loseit.

Those three combined have really really helped me when I've been discouraged or questioning or just need some stress relief. They address a lot of common misconceptions about weight loss and the struggle/journey.

Yeah, I read r/fatlogic sometimes. Believe me, I'm not a healthy at any size etc person at all. I know I'm fat, and I know it's bad for me. I do have hypothyroidism and I did gain most of my weight after being on psych medications, and those things don't help. But the problem is just that I eat unhealthy things and eat too much. I have to learn how to change those things, and this will help. It's like a hoarder or something getting a fresh new place to live in where they have a free maid for 6 months. Will it go to shit again if they don't address their mental illness and issues? Sure. Does it have to ever get that bad again? Nope

Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #40
D.
Consume my pants.

Do you think this procedure will mentally help you? Obv your brain is your brain and meds help but is your view of your body yet another tax on your mental state? Will this procedure be getting a hurdle out of your way?

I don't even think I worded what I wanted to say very well. For a reader I sure can be at a loss for articulation.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 AM   #41
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Do you think this procedure will mentally help you? Obv your brain is your brain and meds help but is your view of your body yet another tax on your mental state? Will this procedure be getting a hurdle out of your way?

I don't even think I worded what I wanted to say very well. For a reader I sure can be at a loss for articulation.
I think it will, yes. There was point in my life where something clicked and I started eating really healthy. I lost about 50lbs. I also was not clinically depressed for a few months. I am hoping it clicks again. Losing so much weight so fast is good motivation to keep it going. I expect when my body starts to feel better (as in, less pain), that will be a huge catalyst to long term change. And I have a really good therapist to help me navigate everything.

It's hard to explain how much being this big affects your brain. I am always aware of how big I am, I think about it all the time. I'm preoccupied with it. Not with food, but with how embarrassing and gross my body is. I've been overweight my whole life, but when I was 200lbs or so it wasn't like this at all. I'm not trying to r/gatekeeping (lol) but being fat and even morbidly obese vs being super duper morbidly obese is a big change and it's hard to explain or probably understand (as someone not super duper morbidly obese) how it can get that way and/or continue that way.

sorry if that's not clear. it's 5:30am and i haven't eaten solid food in a while

Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 AM   #42
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Sometimes even going from seeing yourself in the mirror and feeling “Bleh, I don’t like this,” to “Hey, an improvement!” can be the beginning of a better day. And it’s little steps like that which add up. We try to be body positive and feel comfortable with who we are, but nobody wants to look at themselves and feel bad, and our society makes us all feel ugly and unworthy all the time.

Sometimes it’s also just nice to have something off your plate (ha!) like “Okay, now I don’t have to stress out over trying to eat less.” As dumb as it sounds, even mentally it’s a lot of weight to carry around all the time.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #43
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Any specific plans to document the progress?

Keeping statistics and maybe even photographs could be useful.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #44
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i've been thinking about that. i think i'll take photos the day before surgery. i know what my weight was on tuesday when i went there (which is the most i'll ever weight!) so yeah I'll keep stats from that. I'll be going to my regular doctor once a month for about 6 months so i'll keep track of that

Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #45
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Sometimes even going from seeing yourself in the mirror and feeling “Bleh, I don’t like this,” to “Hey, an improvement!” can be the beginning of a better day. And it’s little steps like that which add up. We try to be body positive and feel comfortable with who we are, but nobody wants to look at themselves and feel bad, and our society makes us all feel ugly and unworthy all the time.

Sometimes it’s also just nice to have something off your plate (ha!) like “Okay, now I don’t have to stress out over trying to eat less.” As dumb as it sounds, even mentally it’s a lot of weight to carry around all the time.
thanks and yeah. it's nice to not have to think and just follow a plan and know you have to or you'll get sick, and not really even wanting to eat anyway.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

today was day 3. i worked (at a grocery store). not really hungry but i do feel brain fog and if i move too quickly i get dizzy. i'm probably going to end up leaving early the next two days.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #47
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i did leave early both days. done with work until the 19th. i was sick today at work for real, the protein shake i drank didn't agree with me i think. went from fine to bad in about 5 minutes. i was also really hungry for the first time today, but it's passed now

Old 03-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #48
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

damn good job. it's no joke not to eat for days. you're almost there!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #49
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

tomorrow morning i get to the hospital at 5:30am. shit is now real.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #50
yo soy el mejor

who will drive you home from the hospital?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #51
ilikeplanets
Braindead

let us know how it goes!! excited for you!!

Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #52
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
hey so. yeah. i'm having bariatric surgery next week. i weigh a lot. probably more than the number that just came into your mind.

today i start the pre-op diet. i get to have 3 protein shakes and clear liquids (i got broth and sugar free popsicles). so far i'm ok. this until tuesday, where it's just clear liquids. and then surgery wednesday.

i got final clearance today from my doctor.

i would enjoy if other people posted also but i really just want a place to bitch when i get hungry
Best of luck to you! Are you getting a bypass or a sleeve? That two week liquid preop diet is brutal.
I had lapband surgery back in 2010 and lost almost 100lbs but after two kiddos 40 has creeped up and the band unfortunately isn't as effective and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've been considering going through bariatric revision but tbh, the bypass kind of scares me with how permanent it is - at least with the band I can have it removed and no harm/foul.

I have several friends who have gone through the bypass and had awesome results and are so happy with their choice. - Congrats on your decision and I wish you the best!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
who will drive you home from the hospital?
my mom drove me home to her place. i may stay here for a few days or go home tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
let us know how it goes!! excited for you!!
it went pretty well... i had a bad reaction to anesthesia and was very very nauseated, they kept me in recovery for a few hours because i wasn't stable enough to go to the floor, had some O2 saturation issues. nothing major but super uncomfortable and stressful. i'm ok now though. have a fair amount of pain and really having problems drinking like i'm supposed to be but that's pretty normal for this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscured01 View Post
Best of luck to you! Are you getting a bypass or a sleeve? That two week liquid preop diet is brutal.
I had lapband surgery back in 2010 and lost almost 100lbs but after two kiddos 40 has creeped up and the band unfortunately isn't as effective and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've been considering going through bariatric revision but tbh, the bypass kind of scares me with how permanent it is - at least with the band I can have it removed and no harm/foul.

I have several friends who have gone through the bypass and had awesome results and are so happy with their choice. - Congrats on your decision and I wish you the best!
i had the sleeve. the bypass wasn't really an option for me because of the mal-absorption part of bypass with all of the meds i take and how they'd need to be revised. they will still have to be just because there will be less of me to medicate but it will be predictable at least.

i had my preop appointment on 3/26 and between then and my weigh in on 4/3 i lost 26 lbs lol

still on an all clear liquid diet for now, and then shakes + clear liquids until the 16th, and then i'll probably be cleared for full liquids

my stomach now holds 2oz. it will stretch a bit in the upcoming weeks but not all that much. i need to drink 56+ oz of water/clears per day plus 18oz+ of protein shakes. seems impossible tbh but i'll figure it out.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #54
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

were you nauseated come out of anesthesia? that shit always happens to me. and when i was younger i'd get disoriented and violent (lol).

sounds like you have some hardcore times ahead, but i am sure you will do well. and you've already lost so much weight!!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #55
yo soy el mejor

did you finish school or are you doing this on a break?

Old 04-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #56
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
were you nauseated come out of anesthesia? that shit always happens to me. and when i was younger i'd get disoriented and violent (lol).

sounds like you have some hardcore times ahead, but i am sure you will do well. and you've already lost so much weight!!
yes i was terribly nauseated, they kept me in recovery for a few hours because it was really bad and my oxygen was somewhat low. i remember them telling me i couldnt go to my room until i responded to them but i just couldn't do it apparently for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
did you finish school or are you doing this on a break?
yeah i finished quite a while ago now, dec 2017. i was trying to get into grad school but that didn't happen, then i tried to get a job in the field and that didn't happen, so i'm doing this now and waiting and then i'll figure out what i'm doing next. likely going back to school for social work.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #57
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

im supposed to drink 60oz a day plus 6 oz shake "meals" and i can't get anywhere close

still in pain but hydrocodone helps. took extra a couple times cuz addiction is a bitch (former addiction holla but still an addict) but honestly the dose they gave me helps enough so imma be a good girl and just take that

i was planning on going home friday but lol that was very optimistic, so instead we got my cat and brought her here. she won't come out if my mom's in the room but she will for me. my mom went to work today so she's been chillin on the bed all day. i did an hour of work but that's enough for now

Old 04-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #58
yo soy el mejor

stay up, y0.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #59
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i lost 35 lbs in two weeks lol. 27 in the fasting week before surgery (water weight? idk it's always the same scale) and 8 the second week

Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #60
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

im so hungry. i might get the ok to eat tomorrow. i bought some baby food meat in anticipation. i wish i was joking. im also gonna get some cottage cheese and some baby food sweet potatoes and some motherfuckin' scrambled egg substitute. also going to ask if i can have one of those little cans of v8 every day. and i bought some little 2.5oz plastic reusable containers on amazon. #ballin'