Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #31
mojo

I think Billy will be dropped by this time next year and take up landscape gardening in a joint venture with James. James will drive the van, though

Old 07-23-2002, 12:26 AM   #32
JoaoMiguel

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly:
I think Billy singing has improved. its not as cool as it was in the Siamese Dream/MCIS tour shows. But I think its more melodic now.

But, if I had my way he'd still have that nasal whine cuz it sounds cooler. . .

I don't really think that YOU think his vocals has improved since you made it clear that you like the way he used to sing more http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif

Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 AM   #33
Cherub Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by Affectation:
The only people that listen to Zwan are old pumpkin fans. I bet that Zwan has two fans that are fans because of the music.

[/b]
Who else would be fans of Zwan except for Pumpkins fans? No one else really knows about them, and they really haven't made that huge of an effort to get their name out there. Yet the point is that they do have an audience. I've heard a lot of the songs, some are good and some aren't that good. If they choose the right songs, do them right and such, I still stand by my opinion that it could be good.

fuck off and good night http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 07-23-2002, 01:33 AM   #34
MisterLove

Quote:
Originally posted by JoaoMiguel:
I don't really think that YOU think his vocals has improved since you made it clear that you like the way he used to sing more http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif
Well, the vocals were better on Adore and Machina than previous albums so that bodes well for Zwan. But in terms of live performance, I agree that the vocals have taken a dive. As much as I didn't like Adore I though his voice actually did improve during that tour and carried some of the weaker songs. During the last tour on the other hand...

Old 07-23-2002, 03:33 AM   #35
ZackZ

From what I've heard of Zwan, I do not like them. But I have not heard their recent songs. Will they big huge? It's 100% dependant on the promotion. I'm sure if they promoted something like "Scott Stapp Farts the Classics of Mozart" it would be a huge success. Any band with moderately "good" songs can be pretty big if they have enough backing.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:22 AM   #36
Salena Child

i don't think it's going to sell real well.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:06 AM   #37
Cherub Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by Salena Child:
i don't think it's going to sell real well.
More likely to get critical acclaim if it's done well......wait and see if it sells well. It all does depend on promotion and stuff like that.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:07 AM   #38
Cherub Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by ZackZ:
From what I've heard of Zwan, I do not like them. But I have not heard their recent songs.
Their later stuff is better than their earlier stuff. that's just my opinion.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #39
Ugly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterLove:
Well, the vocals were better on Adore and Machina than previous albums so that bodes well for Zwan. But in terms of live performance, I agree that the vocals have taken a dive. As much as I didn't like Adore I though his voice actually did improve during that tour and carried some of the weaker songs. During the last tour on the other hand...
Well, studio wise vocal performance is a different story. Anybody can sound good in the studio. Listen to Billy's voice on Siamese Dream, very melodic, and the SD tour it was much more raw. Its like that Simpsons episode when Lt. L.T. Smash made the Party Posse by hitting the "Studio Magic" button. "Thank you NASA."

But speaking live-performance wise, I think Billy's vocals have improved tremendously since the Siamese Dream/MCIS shows. I make a distinction between "melodic" and "cool" though because Billy's snarl was awesome it wasn't exactly the prettiest thing to listen to in the world.

The Adore tour was actually quite good vocally, and Zwan keeps more in the spirit of that performance. Listen to "For Your Love" from the Grand Rapids, MI shows, or "And So I Died of A Broken Heart". Musically, I think the dude's singing has improved live.

As for the MACHINA tour - eh, the whole point of those shows were "I Am Corgan, I Shall Rock" Listen to TEG/BULLET/HMM from the UC show for a good example. The dude can still howl like a muthafucker.

------------------
I'm not gay.
I'm not gay.
But I dance around in a gay, gay way.

Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM   #40
Tatsuma

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody:
Errmmm...U guys have a really fucked up sense of what will work on radio...I mean, 'And so I died'? That is NO WAY airwave material.

There are however plenty of songs that would suit Radio play:

Whatever, Whenever
Cast a Stone
Endless Summer
Yeah
Rivers We Cant Cross
Glorious

Because, crazily enough, these are the most catchy songs!
If Zwan puts any kind of reliance on 'Jesus I' to attract new fans then they will fail miserably in my opinion...it is way too hardcore and repetitive for mainstream.

[This message has been edited by Woody (edited 07-22-2002).]
we could have said that about the white stripes a year ago... look what happened..

Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 PM   #41
JoaoMiguel

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterLove:
Have you ever listened to "Annie Dog"? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Old 07-23-2002, 04:47 PM   #42
Ensoul

Zwan will not be as successful as SP... I am not worried about Billy's voice, just give me a good song and I'll be happy.

I don't see Billy promoting Zwan as he did SP, and SP was not promoted that much.

Promotion is a key to success and so are radio hits. I'll still listen to Zwan whether other people like them or not though.

Old 07-23-2002, 06:45 PM   #43
stumpycat

I've heard several live performances from all eras which in which Billy's vocals sound pretty good/very close to that on the alblum.

However, the guy does seem to have a pretty weak/thin singing voice and you can tell during many live performances that he is really having to strain to give a decent delivery. Billy's voice seems prone to crapping out, and of course if this happens in the studio it really isn't a problem because you can just take a rest and re-record as many times as needed to achieve the desired sound.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #44
Affectation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensoul:
Zwan will not be as successful as SP...
Greatest understatement evar!

Old 07-23-2002, 11:12 PM   #45
joe joe

glorious is about the only song i heard that has radio potential... if they arent gonna pick up "let me give the world to you" after a few stations play it, i dont think zwan will be able to do any better then that unless the music scene and industry start trying to make indie the mainstream again.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:37 PM   #46
stumpycat

Realistically, how good is the track record for frontmen of bands which achieved great commercial success in their era achieving great commercial success again?

Of course, there are a number of examples which one could cite (Jefferson Starship, Ozzy Ozzbourne, Henry Rollins, etc.) but it generally seems the case that such resurrections happens either a number of years after their first run of popularity (which allows the for a natural distancing to occur), or that their former bands broke up fairly quickly or without a great decline in their popularity. In the case of the Pumpkins, the mainstream audience seemed to be of the opinion that they were really taking the piss after MCIS. That probably doesn't bode too well for any major career successes in the future.

[This message has been edited by stumpycat (edited 07-24-2002).]

Old 07-25-2002, 12:43 AM   #47
B0lly

Well, my children, it is time that I descend from the heavens and speak the truth of MY newest band, Zwan. I am a fan of the almight rapper knwon only as Naz. In tribute to him I was going to name MY band Naz, but that just wasn't weird enough for society. I decided that it needed a new, obscure letter such as "w". With the addition of the w, the new improved name became nawz. Fearing that one of you would find me out, I decided the turn the name backwards and pretend I'm really weird...The reason "poets" was added was to tie it all back to my god, Naz. Now stop questioning me, my children. You know you'll buy all of my albums and merchandise anyway. :is carried off in elegant chair by the O-boarders:: All hail!

Old 07-25-2002, 12:47 AM   #48
lily1only

Quote:
Originally posted by B0lly:
Well, my children, it is time that I descend from the heavens and speak the truth of MY newest band, Zwan. I am a fan of the almight rapper knwon only as Naz. In tribute to him I was going to name MY band Naz, but that just wasn't weird enough for society. I decided that it needed a new, obscure letter such as "w". With the addition of the w, the new improved name became nawz. Fearing that one of you would find me out, I decided the turn the name backwards and pretend I'm really weird...The reason "poets" was added was to tie it all back to my god, Naz. Now stop questioning me, my children. You know you'll buy all of my albums and merchandise anyway. :is carried off in elegant chair by the O-boarders:: All hail!

------------------
http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepics/vieu/vieu095.jpg