Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Default How would you respond to this? "I'm not racist, but.."

Just saw this in my Facebook feed. Some super Christian/tea party college kid speaking about how he feels it's important to recognize veterans day by having school off, because they fought for our freedom to have an education. So he's skipping school. Someone responds that the best way to acknowledge those freedoms is to actually use them, go to school, etc etc. here is his response to this..

"That's an interesting take on it Thomas, and I like the thought. You do raise some key points that I agree with completely. The issue for me lies with, and here comes so much internet flak, with the cancellation of classes on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and not Veteran's Day. It just makes it seem like in the eyes of the University, it's not as important. That's where the issue lies with me.

To be clear, that is not a racist comment, so please, don't think that."

Old 11-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Order 66
Socialphobic

seems pretty innocuous to me. not that i necessarily "agree" with him

Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Veterans Day was supposed to honor those who served in WWI. For decades it was called Armistice day. They changed it in the mid 40s.

Since WW2 there hasn't been a single war (Cold War excluded) the USA was involved in that had anything to do with the actual security of the United States.

Aside from a handful of military conflicts like the two great wars, IMO there's little reason to "honor" people just because they got paid to be in the military. I have friends who are firefighters, for instance who put themselves at greater risk every week at work than the majority of all military veterans since the 50s ever have. Plus, there was nothing honorable about blowing up half of Iraq. Or spraying Agent Orange all over Vietnam. Why honor people who did the bloody bidding of politicians? The generic holiday today seems to be used as yet another way to create civilian support for the military industrial complex and the propagation of a profession military.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 11-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Tootles
Demi-God

Race war!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Order 66
Socialphobic

why does scotty hate freedom

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

because I'm a commie and "a poster child for an uninformed and brainwashed American"

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Bread Regal
Banned

Hot opinion comin' through.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Bread Regal
Banned

Get your opinions here, half baked, but twice as hot.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Bread Regal
Banned

These are the opinions your mother warned you about.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

IMO, the cause of Civil Rights, starting with voting rights and the abolition of Jim Crow and continuing until now with gay rights, equal pay for equal work, etc. has done more to provide justice and liberty for Americans than the Military has in all of the 70 years after WW2 ended.

So yeah, give the kids MLK day off from school

Old 11-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Bread Regal
Banned

Anyway, when I get into discussions like these with people, I try to emphasize that while they might not necessarily be racist, their words are and then go from there. It's a good way of keeping it from turning into an ad hominem argument.

If you try to tell them they're racist, they'll be back on their heels and you definitely won't get anywhere.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Bread Regal
Banned

Jesus Christ Scotty are you trying to just derail this thread as fast as possible.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
Anyway, when I get into discussions like these with people, I try to emphasize that while they might not necessarily be racist, their words are and then go from there. It's a good way of keeping it from turning into an ad hominem argument.

If you try to tell them they're racist, they'll be back on their heels and you definitely won't get anywhere.
I think it's pointless to even bring it up online unless you simply want to argue with them. I've rarely if ever seen people react positively, even when the suggestion that their racist comment isn't intentional

Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i have both MLK Jr day and Veterans day off from school.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
Starla

Last edited by Starla : 11-10-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
These are the opinions your mother warned you about.
barrelfire strong takes

i think he's rite tho, when do we have days off for white men? reverst racism imo

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:

yeah it's like if you say someone is misogynist or maybe if you question the fact that they tend to believe garbage science on the internet

Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
How would you respond to this?

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...lh1io1_400.gif

Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 AM   #19
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Veterans Day was supposed to honor those who served in WWI. For decades it was called Armistice day. They changed it in the mid 40s.

Since WW2 there hasn't been a single war (Cold War excluded) the USA was involved in that had anything to do with the actual security of the United States.

Aside from a handful of military conflicts like the two great wars, IMO there's little reason to "honor" people just because they got paid to be in the military. I have friends who are firefighters, for instance who put themselves at greater risk every week at work than the majority of all military veterans since the 50s ever have. Plus, there was nothing honorable about blowing up half of Iraq. Or spraying Agent Orange all over Vietnam. Why honor people who did the bloody bidding of politicians? The generic holiday today seems to be used as yet another way to create civilian support for the military industrial complex and the propagation of a profession military.

You have a point up until you realize if you ever want justice for the war criminals, your going to need those Vets to overcome them.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

scott doesn't have any friends or family in the military because he's like some kind of rich guy apparently

scott i thought you came from rednecks

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

because i'll always respect anyone who goes into the service without the "i'm protecting freedom" shit because most of them don't

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #22
Order 66
Socialphobic

scotty one day hung out at planned parenthood with his imam and they were making fun of troops for believing god then marine todd showed up and punched him in the face and scotty cried like a girl and said i believe god now don't hurt me then marine todd said too bad god hates fags and the crowed shouted usa usa

Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean part of the reason you honor them is because their the sons of the poor sent to fight the wars for the rich

why is that so hard to understand

Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
scott doesn't have any friends or family in the military because he's like some kind of rich guy apparently

scott i thought you came from rednecks
my father was an MP. when I was a kid we lived off base in Germany. I had several uncles that served in Vietnam. And my grandfather served in the Navy (pacific) during WWII. I've also had several cousins that served in the Navy, Airforce and Army. One of my best friends was in the Marines. My freshman year of college I almost went Airforce ROTC

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 11-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
scotty one day hung out at planned parenthood with his imam and they were making fun of troops for believing god then marine todd showed up and punched him in the face and scotty cried like a girl and said i believe god now don't hurt me then marine todd said too bad god hates fags and the crowed shouted usa usa
all wrong

actually my friends from the Communist group and I like to hang out at airports and welcome the boys home by spitting on them

Old 11-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
my father was an MP. when I was a kid we lived off base in Germany. I had several uncles that served in Vietnam. And my grandfather served in the Navy (pacific) during WWII. I've also had several cousins that served in the Navy, Airforce and Army. One of my best friends was in the Marines. My freshman year of college I almost went Airforce ROTC

This makes your crude disrespect even more jarring and juvenile

Scot your political and social observations sound like a college fresmans, you are a grown ass man. Check yourself.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #27
jczeroman

Sat next to a guy on the plane who seemed totally normal for 30 minutes of conversation before he started talking about how everything wrong with America was due to 'the minorities'.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #28
Starla

I used to think that this country would be better off once the old white racists die off, but it'll never happen. They have conditioned their children and grandchildren to carry on with their same prejudice and sick "Merican values".

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

worst part is these people are now using political correctness to tell us how they aren't racist because they didn't say nigger

Old 12-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned

"i'm just telling it how it is"