Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
StuckInVain
Pledge

Default Jon Stewart

I've been seeing a lot of him in the media over the last week, with his Rolling Stone cover article and a lot of media outlets jumping on his increasing criticism of Obama.

I haven't had a chance to read the RS article although it looks interesting. There's also this Esquire article that I guess is a critique of the Jon Stewart image, although I don't know if I've wrapped my head around it's overall point. Stewart's always struck me as self-serious and I don't think there's anything confusing or surprising about his "it's just comedy" defense. Comedy is the area where you can get away with anything, basically (So long as you don't come off as a raging racist)! He's giving himself carte blanche by saying that, simple as that, and it's an important part of what makes him successful.

I don't have a tv right now so I haven't really been following the Daily Show for a while. I've heard different people say he's not funny in the current political climate that's chilled to Obama, but I've heard the opposite too. Any fans? What're your thoughts?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

People who are Obama fans (most of TDS audience) don't think it's as funny to bash Obama as it was to bash Bush.

Hence the increased FOX News attacks.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Debaser
ghost

its funnier to attack the stunning, fact-less, unreality world of the right than to attack the stunning, disarray/incompetence of the left.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

of course the daily show has always had a bit of the hell yeah rants too so i think it's actually pretty fair criticism of the entire process

i don't really understand why he says it's just comedy it's obviously not at this point, he just doesn't want to be called a pundit because those guys are the enemy but you know life's a funny old thing

Old 09-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Debaser
ghost

Wow just read the esquire article. Deeply cynical and off-putting to an unabashed Stewart fan.

Short version: Jon Stewart is an egomaniac dick and the fact that he's so great at playing a nice likeable guy only proves how much of a dick he really is.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
MusicMan4

bring back kilborn

Old 09-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Mooney
Socialphobic

i don't watch the daily show, but watch real time with bill maher. he's pretty critical of obama, too.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I love Maher except for his head-scratching support of Israel.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I love Maher too, but I always forget to watch.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
StuckInVain
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
What about his irrational distrust of vaccination?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

and his islamophobia

Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Order 66
Socialphobic

i think it was around the 08 election i started thinking people are taking TDS/jon stewart too seriously. anecdotal evidence and all but everybody i talked to about the election, seemed like most of their info was from that

i don;t watch it much but when i do alot of his obama criticism feels kind of forced. like he's trying to be the smartest man in the room "hey, i criticize both sides" at the expense of good material. not saying he cant lampoon obama, just that it doesn't seem funny from any political purview

Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i think it was around the 08 election i started thinking people are taking TDS/jon stewart too seriously. anecdotal evidence and all but everybody i talked to about the election, seemed like most of their info was from that
people who get their political news from a comedy show are idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i don;t watch it much but when i do alot of his obama criticism feels kind of forced. like he's trying to be the smartest man in the room "hey, i criticize both sides" at the expense of good material. not saying he cant lampoon obama, just that it doesn't seem funny from any political purview
this is true. then again, it's harder to criticize something you agree with.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
And his germ-theory denialism.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
lala
Banned

steve carell, ed helms, s. colbert made jon stewart. without them he is not funny. oscars anyone?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
sleeper
Minion of Satan

stewart is sort of insufferable now, i fast forward through a lot of his show, if not just turn it off in annoyance. im not sure if hes changed all that much or if i have, but i dont find him very funny or smart.
what made the daily show great was always its smart satire. in its better moments it still has this, perfectly nailing some issue. but i cant stomach all the lame cheap shots and fart jokes, almost more so when theyre against republicans because there is no need to resort to that shit when there is much real stuff to criticize. some of the arguments he makes are embarrassingly bad.
his "its just comedy" thing is total cop out too and everyone knows it. he should just admit that he engages in serious political advocacy, through comedy. theres nothing wrong with that.

colbert is still a good time though. hes sharp as a tack, jesus.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
sleeper
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInVain View Post
What about his irrational distrust of vaccination?
ewww. i remember reading about this before and, with that alone, totally writing him off.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
Eulogy
huh

Colbert Report deserved the Emmy this year

And I do think TDS will improve as campaign season gets into full swing. But I guess we'll see. I think the downturn became a lot more noticeable post-rally. He sort of backed himself into a lame centrist corner where all he can criticize is extremism (and do it indiscriminately) instead of, you know, criticizing wrongness more generally. Which can be harder but also a lot more effective.

The bit they threw together about Republicans saying "only $700 billion" when talking about a tiny increase in the top marginal tax rate and then saying "a whole $700 billion!!!" when talking about taking half of all poor people's money (THEY HAVE REFRIGERATORS FOR GOD'S SAKE) was pretty solid.

and yes that was taken almost exclusively from fox news but they can't really control the fact that that is where the vast majority of mainstream crazy is located.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
Debaser
ghost

I don't think Stewart has gotten worse, only his correspondents.

He doesn't "admit to serious political advocacy through comedy", rather he admits to social criticism via comedy. Same difference I suppose.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
Wow just read the esquire article. Deeply cynical and off-putting to an unabashed Stewart fan.

Short version: Jon Stewart is an egomaniac dick and the fact that he's so great at playing a nice likeable guy only proves how much of a dick he really is.
yeah, it's like the author forgot himself in the midst of being a rabid Daily Show fan and was suddenly slapped with the awful reality that Jon Stewart is, in fact, an ambitious showbiz guy with more than his share of self-belief. but nobody gets their own TV show without those traits.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

it's a very long hatchet job

Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Eulogy
huh

i searched for this thread just so i could voice my disgust over his treatment of nancy pelosi last night. my god. i've voiced my defense of her as a speaker before and don't feel like i need to reiterate it. but holy shit. i cannot fucking believe what i am watching.

he will coddle the everliving shit out of mike huckabee and ron paul, and then she comes on, and he condescends and covers his eyes and leans back in his chair and tries to blame her for every single problem that comes with having a 535-member body and a party full of obstructionists? fuck you, guy.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
The Omega Concern
Banned

what? that witch deserves everything she gets. the queen sheister that one.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #24
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

who did what now

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i searched for this thread just so i could voice my disgust over his treatment of nancy pelosi last night. my god. i've voiced my defense of her as a speaker before and don't feel like i need to reiterate it. but holy shit. i cannot fucking believe what i am watching.

he will coddle the everliving shit out of mike huckabee and ron paul, and then she comes on, and he condescends and covers his eyes and leans back in his chair and tries to blame her for every single problem that comes with having a 535-member body and a party full of obstructionists? fuck you, guy.
perhaps you forgot when he sucked obama's dick during the entire interview

Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
perhaps you forgot when he sucked obama's dick during the entire interview
I'm sure you won't forget it.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post

yeah, i watched that too and couldn't really believe it. she seemed taken aback by some of the questions. she was probably thinking about all the soft balls the right wingers get on the show and didn't realize that she'd get a dose of liberal self loathing.

with all the DINOs and obstructionist republiCons in congress I think she did a good job as speaker. If I was going to criticize I'd aim it at Reid and Obama before her.

I've thought for a long time that stewart goes out of his way to kiss right wing asses on the show so he'll get them as guests. while the liberals, progressives and moderates will show up anyway.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
Nimrod's Son

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
yeah, i watched that too and couldn't really believe it. she seemed taken aback by some of the questions. she was probably thinking about all the soft balls the right wingers get on the show and didn't realize that she'd get a dose of liberal self loathing.

with all the DINOs and obstructionist republiCons in congress I think she did a good job as speaker. If I was going to criticize I'd aim it at Reid and Obama before her.

I've thought for a long time that stewart goes out of his way to kiss right wing asses on the show so he'll get them as guests. while the liberals, progressives and moderates will show up anyway.
i do find it funny that if someone doesn't agree with the agenda you are trying to promote and vote against it, they are being "obstructionists"

Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

ob·struc·tion·ist (b-strksh-nst, b-)

One who systematically blocks or interrupts a process, especially one who attempts to impede passage of legislation by the use of delaying tactics, such as a filibuster.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #30
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
ob·struc·tion·ist (b-strksh-nst, b-)

One who systematically blocks or interrupts a process, especially one who attempts to impede passage of legislation by the use of delaying tactics, such as a filibuster.
The Democrats used the filibuster when the GOP was in control. Don't remember you making a big to-do about that.

Hell, the Dems filibustered themselves.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...own-debt-bill/