Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Default when will the whig party resurface?

Anyone in here think the GOP or Dem parties will ever go away to make way for retro parties like the whigs? Or maybe the Green, Libertarian, whatever other party will start a serious rise and win elections?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
BlueStar
Newly independent

Not likely. The best chance any additional parties have of emerging/rising to the type of power the Repubs and Dems have is for states to adopt multi-party ticket systems. NY and one other state currently have this and an initiative for this is on the November ballot in MA. The way it works is that 3rd parties can choose to run one of the candidates from another party (i.e the Dem candidate) or a candidate of their own choosing that is not on any other party's ticket. For example, in 2000, I worked for the Working Families Party in NY and we ran Al Gore and Hillary Clinton on our ticket (as did a few other parties). What it does is enable 3rd parties to not have to compete against the Dem and Repub parties. For example, I didn't have to convince anyone to vote for my candidate over Gore, I just had to convince them to vote for Gore under my party instead of the Dem party or another party. And by receiving ___% of the votes under the Working Families Party, it is a bargaining power with candidates - you don't pass this legislation and you will not be on our ballot next time around and you will thus lose that ___% of the vote. Ultimately, over time, it allows 3rd parties to build membership and power so they can run a candidate of their very own more successfully. Eh, I'm not really explaining it very well.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

that's interesting, i think i'm following what you're trying to say...

Old 10-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
wally
cibohplaicos

yeah, what she said