Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Default Lets Talk About How One High-Profile Incident Totally Disproved Campus Rape...

...and disregard all the statistics from various independent studies that show that campus rape is a thing.

My favourite thing about this is how one shitty news source forgot basic journalism skills and didn't fact-check the details about a rape allegation, and then ten thousand news outlets pounce on this to tell us about how it clearly shows us that their is widespread and rampant media bias toward "political correctness" and not questioning allegations of rape, and how all the media sources are telling us that the media has become too sensitive to rape or something.

Or how they are trying to claim there is some sort of moral panic against good old hard-working, god-fearing boys, while themselves stirring a moral panic that women are just waiting in the wings to accuse random men of rape for fun, despite data showing us that false allegations are insignificant, and that rape is one of the most underreported crimes.

I mean, their sensationalization of the Rolling Stone fuck up is exactly the same as Rolling Stone's pursuit of a sensational story without doing basic research. And just as Rolling Stone surely caused damage to the reputations of the men in that UVA frat, the wider media is causing damage to, like, the reputations of rape victims, in general.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Eulogy
huh

Outside of MRA and ultra conservative groups I'm not totally sure this is happening allll that much.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Eulogy
huh

People who talk about the "problem" of false rape allegations are so creepy

Old 04-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

It is very much a thing though. Not false rape allegations (well they exist of course but whatever) but people who talk about it like that happens more than actual rape. The whole "well...was that REALLY legit rape?" mentality....

Old 04-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Mayfuck
Banned

Yeah, this attitude is kind of widespread in my opinion. Definitely beyond just MRAs and ultra conservatives. Especially when the accused is some beloved athlete or actor or politician.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Outside of MRA and ultra conservative groups I'm not totally sure this is happening allll that much.
I suppose it's usually not explicitly said, but I do see a lot of outlets insinuating that some culture of political correctness and dogmatic feminism is creating an atmosphere in which alleged rapists are considered "guilty until proven innocent" or something. I suppose you're right, the most egregious of it isn't the "centrist" news, but rather the outlets that lean right (Cathy Young at Reason Magazine and Christina Hoff Sommers get particularly on my nerves because they call themselves "feminists), but even other sources, I see a moaning about how leftist/feminist doctrines are strangling critical thinking and sending anyone who questions their beliefs to the gulags for reeducation or something.

Quote:
But why did Rolling Stone flagrantly disregard basic journalistic safeguards in this instance? It seems very likely that the magazine’s staff was operating within a social and ideological environment that made the story’s narrative appear to be self-evidently correct.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ster-bias.html
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ne-rape-thing/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sensati...vels-1.3008190

I obviously don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, but the headline of this one is just great:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/like-a-r...one-1417823962

A lot of those articles say things that I totally agree with, it's just the framing: making it about some sinister feminist bias, rather than sensationalism.

Quote:
People who talk about the "problem" of false rape allegations are so creepy

Tell me about it. Some weird guy I know once told me that he was skeptical of official rape statistics, and also didn't like how some of them count when women are pressured into sex. He was all like "WHY IS IT BAD IF I KEEP ON PESTERING A GIRL FOR SEX IF SHE KEEPS SAYING NO HOW IS THAT RAPE."

I'm pretty sure nobody has gone to prison for that, but that doesn't mean that it isn't scummy and doesn't warrant social-scientific inquiry into its prevalence.

This guy also shares MRA bullshit on Facebook several times a day and once complained that a woman found him creepy because he made some comment about the tightness of her pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
It is very much a thing though. Not false rape allegations (well they exist of course but whatever) but people who talk about it like that happens more than actual rape. The whole "well...was that REALLY legit rape?" mentality....
It's funny, because it's the only crime in which we talk about false claims so much.

When somebody gets mugged or their home broken into, nobody goes, "well, are you sure you didn't just give your watch to a friend as a gift, have a row with him, and then later regret it?"

Also, the whole "but innocent until proven guilty!" thing whenever one discusses a rape allegation. No shit. That's a principle used in the court of law meaning we don't send people to prison when there is reasonable doubt. It doesn't mean that nobody is even allowed to talk about these cases or "condemn" the alleged aggressor when there's good evidence.

Last edited by Disco King : 04-17-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
zbeast78
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I mean, their sensationalization of the Rolling Stone fuck up is exactly the same as Rolling Stone's pursuit of a sensational story without doing basic research. And just as Rolling Stone surely caused damage to the reputations of the men in that UVA frat, the wider media is causing damage to, like, the reputations of rape victims, in general.
No. Rolling Stone were the ones that caused damage to the reputation of rape victims by running a fake cover story. If you're going to run a big front page expose making such a serious accusation, make sure you did even the slightest bit of investigating to make sure you have the facts. They deserved to be destroyed.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeast78 View Post
No. Rolling Stone were the ones that caused damage to the reputation of rape victims by running a fake cover story. If you're going to run a big front page expose making such a serious accusation, make sure you did even the slightest bit of investigating to make sure you have the facts. They deserved to be destroyed.
I don't disagree with that.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
hnibos
Braindead

Look at the comment section for any of the Jameis Winston rape stories and yall will see how many people hate lying money grubbing hoes

Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

goes both ways and thats a fact imo

Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
id say its majority opinion amongst hetero males but i live in texas