Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Default listen to the new sun kil moon album

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/commonaslight/

Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Elphenor
Braindead

No.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Elphenor
Braindead

OK maybe later

Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that is the reason i quite like it so far
is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through

Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

is this a command?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Are you questioning my orders?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
is it actually any good? his last few releases have been quite a slog to get through
Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Marco Kozaleki dropped the ball

Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #10
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Exclamation

Quote:
Are you questioning my orders?
Sir, no sir!

Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
redbreegull

Quote:
Afraid not. I liked parts of universal themes but he really seems to have lost all his quality control this time. Almost very song is overlong, hardly memorable and downright boring. The whole thing is something like two hours too.
Since he started his own label, he has just been continuously ramping up his rate of releases. Now it seems he puts out at least 1 album a year plus a live LP or two and a disc of covers or a collaboration... I would love to be inundated with this amount of work from him, except his last five releases seem like as much work went into them combined as April.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Elphenor
Braindead

My online friend with good tastes (who's 22 named Chris and 6'3 no joke) says this album was pretty good for Sun Kills Moon better than whatever they did last

Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3

Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
redbreegull

Quote:
it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3
to me, there is a big dividing line between Admiral Fell and everything that has come out after. Every single album of originals up through Admiral Fell is solid through and through, but starting with Among the Leaves, he really changed and his songs began to seem like a lot less work went into them. I liked parts of Leaves, parts of Benji (a few songs are very very good), parts of Perils from the Sea, parts of Universal Themes. But overall his newer style really doesn't do it for me. It's hard for me to appreciate a really gifted singer purposely singing like he just woke up with a cold, and a really gifted lyricist penning prosaic errand lists as lyrics

Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
redbreegull

Quote:
i get that. that 'rambling' phase he seems to have fully embraced now started about there, on Leaves. I remember really not liking that album at first. It has slowly turned into one of my favourites though. I think Benji is perfect. There was a lot of that rambling (i'm just calling it that to refer to what he does now) but it really worked for me on that album. Lyrics were painfully personal and it was kind of a musical revelation to me.

Have you heard the Desertshore albums? this one is really really good. It kind of sounds exactly like a regular Sun Kil Moon album from that phase, but I think the guys from that band also played with SKM live.
Yeah I like that one quite a lot. Sounds a bit like Red House Painters actually, I think at least one of the other musicians is from the RHP days.

at this point I'm just a bit tired of hearing about lying in bed with his cat watching wrestling and how annoying touring is and eating crab cakes with ben gibbard.

but even his guitar parts have undergone this minimalist transformation. Many of the songs off the last few albums are just classical guitar loops that go on for like 8 fuckin minutes

Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yep.

and even that part hasn't improved - which is a big understatement

that fake tinder picture scotty posted about SKM being a 'dad rap project' is painfully true