Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #91
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Palmer has a foot firmly in the "art" scene in a way that more mainstream singer songwriters do not. Her work is stylistically more polarizing than mainstream musicians. If I were to compare her to other artists I'd ******* people like Lori Anderson and Peaches.

That being the case nothing vix has said in this thread supports the argument that palmer is a talentless hack.
You mean, apart from how the music video comparison between her and Joanna Newsom shows conclusively that Palmer's music brings a sum total of zero to humanity?

She has no foot in any scene except exhibitionism.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #92
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Vixnix, this is how you come across:

You are a reasonably skilled piano player, and you feel like you could write better songs than Amanda Palmer. You don't think you are good enough to write anything you'd be proud of, though, so you're resigned to spending the rest of your life in a miserable marriage. When you see someone like Amanda Palmer living a better life than you could ever hope for, you resent her. In your mind, Joanna Newsom deserves what she's got because she makes good music, but Amanda Palmer? She should just "shut up and go away like the rest of us".

This is just plain bitterness. It's clearly not true that Amanda Palmer doesn't make a difference in people's lives - she has a dedicated fan base, and people seem genuinely happy to be part of that community. Her music will probably not endure; her songs are probably fleeting things no one will remember once our generation is dead and gone. But so what? Is it not enough to live a full life? That's all most of us can aspire to. You have to ask yourself why a loud woman with weird eyebrows isn't deserving of happiness in your eyes. It's incredibly petty and makes you sound like a very small person.

What I find bizarre is that you'd have such strong feelings about a niche artist. Sure, you dislike her aesthetic choices, and that's fine - but she's not taking over the world. She's just there doing her own thing with like-minded people. Really, I know you are unhappy, and unlike some, I sympathize. I wish you no harm. But it'd be easier if you weren't such a judgmental asshole all the time.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #93
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I, personally, would like to read more about Vixnixes pegging escapades. A thread would be fine. A thread with pics would better.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #94
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
Vixnix, this is how you come across:

You are a reasonably skilled piano player, and you feel like you could write better songs than Amanda Palmer. You don't think you are good enough to write anything you'd be proud of, though, so you're resigned to spending the rest of your life in a miserable marriage. When you see someone like Amanda Palmer living a better life than you could ever hope for, you resent her. In your mind, Joanna Newsom deserves what she's got because she makes good music, but Amanda Palmer? She should just "shut up and go away like the rest of us".

This is just plain bitterness. It's clearly not true that Amanda Palmer doesn't make a difference in people's lives - she has a dedicated fan base, and people seem genuinely happy to be part of that community. Her music will probably not endure; her songs are probably fleeting things no one will remember once our generation is dead and gone. But so what? Is it not enough to live a full life? That's all most of us can aspire to. You have to ask yourself why a loud woman with weird eyebrows isn't deserving of happiness in your eyes. It's incredibly petty and makes you sound like a very small person.

What I find bizarre is that you'd have such strong feelings about a niche artist. Sure, you dislike her aesthetic choices, and that's fine - but she's not taking over the world. She's just there doing her own thing with like-minded people. Really, I know you are unhappy, and unlike some, I sympathize. I wish you no harm. But it'd be easier if you weren't such a judgmental asshole all the time.
The fact that she has a fan community is everything that is wrong with this world. Enjoying Amanda Palmer's music is the artistic equivalent of supporting Donald Trump. Just because people do it, doesn't make it right.

Also, thank you for this thoughtful message. But that's why I resent her. In the same way that I don't resent Trump for his hairpiece, though it's an easy thing to mock, Amanda Palmer's aesthetics don't bother me at all. But just as Trump should exit the political arena and renounce his views for the good of humankind, so should Amanda exit the musical arena and renounce her work.

For the good of humankind!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #95
vixnix
Socialphobic

I joked about pegging with my husband the other day and he said I might go to jail for touching him that way. So no pegging here. It made me laugh.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #96
FoolofaTook

what? if you do it right it ought to make you weep.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #97
FoolofaTook

with visceral pleasure.