Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #121
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far
Posts: 4,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I mean...are French people and kings also offended?
Yes. The Monarchical Anti-Defemation League for the Advancement of Hereditary Rulership put out a press statement condemning the joke. Kings have been historically marginalized and oppressed.

Peasants never have to acknowledge their privilege of never being under threat of deposition.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #122
The Omega Concern
Banned
 
Location: stay, far, away
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i don't think that's what triggered the thread, but it definitely bring the concern from the hypothetical to the concrete.

that said i think it's weird when white dudes complain of having to "walk on eggshells" when they're expected to be mindful of their speech.


Here's me being mindful of my speech: Fuck your racist thought control!


I don't use the terms being bandied about itt, but what's worse than people exercising free speech I don't agree with is the notion of banning said speech, for that will never stop. Being offended has become a currency among the religious left, with too many examples to cite, but its typically short-sighted, bereft of logic and riddled with hypocrisy.

"It's weird when white dudes complain..." you racist p.o.s. gtf over yourself.

 
The Omega Concern is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #123
Tyler
Ownz
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Location: Wonderland Ave.
Posts: 938
Default


 
Tyler is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #124
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 28,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
Here's me being mindful of my speech: Fuck your racist thought control!


I don't use the terms being bandied about itt, but what's worse than people exercising free speech I don't agree with is the notion of banning said speech, for that will never stop. Being offended has become a currency among the religious left, with too many examples to cite, but its typically short-sighted, bereft of logic and riddled with hypocrisy.

"It's weird when white dudes complain..." you racist p.o.s. gtf over yourself.

You think it's racist to point out that some white men feel like they are persecuted because they can't use racist slurs and not face consequences?

 
reprise85 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #125
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,621
Default

TOC, here's a simple binary choice question. Answer correctly and I will indulge you in further discussion of the topic. Otherwise, go fuck yourself.

Alice and Bob are private citizens. Alice says something that Bob disagrees with. Bob voices his criticism of what Alice has said and advocates a boycott of her business. What has occurred here?

a) Alice and Bob have both exercised their constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech
b) Bob has denied Alice's constitutionally guaranteed right right to free speech

Last edited by Bread Regal : 08-07-2017 at 02:37 PM.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #126
The Omega Concern
Banned
 
Location: stay, far, away
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
You think it's racist to point out that some white men feel like they are persecuted because they can't use racist slurs and not face consequences?

Street justice works real well here... You say the N word around the wrong crowd and you get your ass beat. If Pakula wants to get rid of the imoge in question, that's perfectly fine as well.

If the consequences ramp up to a statist dictate of what can be said or not, that's a line that should not be crossed.

 
The Omega Concern is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #127
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,621
Default

Mr. Marathon fixin' to deny some free speech up in this motherfucker


 
Bread Regal is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #128
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 28,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post

If the consequences ramp up to a statist dictate of what can be said or not, that's a line that should not be crossed.
but nobody mentioned that or thinks that is what should be done????????????? you're afraid of a reality that no one wants, and use that slippery slope fallacy so hard that you say people are racist for pointing out that white men sometimes whine about not being able to use slurs without walking on eggshells

 
reprise85 is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #129
Shallowed
Socialphobic
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: my parent's house in a shitty backwater country town
Posts: 14,990
Default

And even if they did,


 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #130
smashingjj
is very perspective
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: my mother, my anus, mayfuck, his mother, reverting and cunt amoebes; the story of my life as a fisherman's wife on mars. now in stores. if you get it before may 30, you'll receive a free coupon to hand it in and get your money back.
Posts: 28,698
Default

full disclosure:

prior to this thread, you can find two instances of myself using the word 'nigger' on this board. while it was used sarcastically (something that apparently felt like a way of excusing myself from any consequences) I feel like throwing up when I read it now. I apologize to all who rightfully take offence. I never meant to use it in a malicious way but the word itself definitely feels malicious, reading it now

also, suck my guilty white dick, TOC

that doesn't change earlier voiced opinions by myself in this thread though.

 
smashingjj is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #131
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far
Posts: 4,313
Default

Who else would like to confess before they get site-searched?

Cross-referencing a list of bigoted terms with every active username now.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #132
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned
 
ohnoitsbonnie's Avatar
 
Location: somerville, nj
Posts: 23,125
Default

Look I'm not racist but I heard that white people tend to burn in the sun.

 
ohnoitsbonnie is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #133
fuzzyroes
Braindead
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
god damn. talk about shutting me down. (i don't ever read the trump thread)

man fuzzy, what the fuck dude
Lmao. That was simply a case of the dumb Eminem analogy of "I am whatever you say I am". A little distasteful trolling without actually saying the word and simply using a Netphoria provided emoticon.

 
fuzzyroes is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #134
fuzzyroes
Braindead
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,056
Default

B0llys totally right though. PC culture in the United States is out of control. It's one of the main reasons why Trump won the election.

A better example could have been used by him though. For example, when the beloved Steve Martin got torn apart online for saying that the deceased actress who played Princess Leah was "beautiful"... The PC police called him a sexist piece of shit and he had to offer an apology.

It's insanity.

 
fuzzyroes is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #135
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far
Posts: 4,313
Default

Trump won the election because of party identification, economic voting, and the electoral college.

Pretty much every pundit-pushed explanation ("It was PC culture! No, it was globalisation!") lacks empirical support.

Humans think in simple cause-and-effect terms (the window broke because the baseball went through it), so it's easier to digest explanations with a simple connection between intentions and outcome, explanations that make narrative sense.

But when dealing with complex phenomena, the sorts of things that require statistics to disentangle, the simple "narrative logic" often doesn't explain the situation, and the real story tends to be comparatively mundane.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #136
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,272
Default

trump won because enough people finally stopped believing in vaccination.
their minds are free now. deep state lost a battle.
i wouldn't be surprise if we saw a lot more chemtrails from now on.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 AM   #137
Shallowed
Socialphobic
 
Shallowed's Avatar
 
Location: my parent's house in a shitty backwater country town
Posts: 14,990
Default

Trump won because of chemtrails

 
Shallowed is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #138
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,272
Default

those are simple cause-and-effect terms, but yes.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #139
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,272
Default

i mean, no, wait, no, that's not why.
you just don't get it, man.

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #140
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
qwerty sp's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,434
Default

Chris Christie would have made a great president

 
qwerty sp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #141
LaBelle
Minion of Satan
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: Culinary Futurist, Restaurateur, Resistance fighter, I love the 80's & cocaine.
Posts: 7,736
Default

Trump won because his voters are millionaires with temporary difficulties.

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #142
LaBelle
Minion of Satan
 
LaBelle's Avatar
 
Location: Culinary Futurist, Restaurateur, Resistance fighter, I love the 80's & cocaine.
Posts: 7,736
Default

Oh good conservo-dad is back

 
LaBelle is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #143
smashingjj
is very perspective
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: my mother, my anus, mayfuck, his mother, reverting and cunt amoebes; the story of my life as a fisherman's wife on mars. now in stores. if you get it before may 30, you'll receive a free coupon to hand it in and get your money back.
Posts: 28,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Oh good conservo-dad is back
Back and more mediocre than ever before!

 
smashingjj is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #144
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Lizzy Mercier Descloux
Posts: 13,172
Default

Why is not being ignorant confused with timidness

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #145
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Lizzy Mercier Descloux
Posts: 13,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Trump won the election because of party identification, economic voting, and the electoral college.

Pretty much every pundit-pushed explanation ("It was PC culture! No, it was globalisation!") lacks empirical support.

Humans think in simple cause-and-effect terms (the window broke because the baseball went through it), so it's easier to digest explanations with a simple connection between intentions and outcome, explanations that make narrative sense.

But when dealing with complex phenomena, the sorts of things that require statistics to disentangle, the simple "narrative logic" often doesn't explain the situation, and the real story tends to be comparatively mundane.
at the risk of being Trots parrot I think this is the end result of neoliberalism

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #146
Elphenor
Socialphobic
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Lizzy Mercier Descloux
Posts: 13,172
Default

you're not meek and timid if you have the basic intelligence it takes to be considerate, you just don't want to go around being a donkey

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #147
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal
 
Cool As Ice Cream's Avatar
 
Location: František! How's the foot of your turtle?
Posts: 29,272
Default

donkey shaming that is offensive to donkeys shame on you you donkey shamer and i already want to apologise in advance to all donkey shamers because i do realise i am donkey shamer shaming here i'm sorry

 
Cool As Ice Cream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #148
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far
Posts: 4,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Why are the modern liberal values timidness, weakness, and self-hatred? I don't think this is what John Locke had in mind:
Let me guess; you've "studied John Locke extensively."

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #149
smashingjj
is very perspective
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: my mother, my anus, mayfuck, his mother, reverting and cunt amoebes; the story of my life as a fisherman's wife on mars. now in stores. if you get it before may 30, you'll receive a free coupon to hand it in and get your money back.
Posts: 28,698
Default

I'm gonna delete all these trump posts later

there's a thread for that shit

edit: I moved them to the trump thread. have fun talking about your beloved president there, kids

Last edited by smashingjj : 08-09-2017 at 06:20 PM.

 
smashingjj is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #150
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 61,248
Default

I still can't understand why "hey maybe try not to be a dick to groups of marginalized people" is seen as some affront to free speech.

This thread has some bad takes

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this intentional MCIS start/end song synch Grox Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 32 04-12-2017 08:52 PM
gin-gif-ication The New Pumpkins Archive 14 06-15-2008 04:07 AM
Modern Shoegaze StillPluggedIn Music Board Archive 60 07-28-2007 09:41 AM
Help with Mix CD for my Dad? shannon General Chat Archive 34 03-01-2006 11:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014