Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #31
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead

I think making a big deal out of things like this is one of the distractions our overlords dangle before us to stop us from identifying the real enemy

Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #32
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #33
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
We should always think of others and treat them the way we'd like to be treated, even if we're not
that's a beautiful sentiment.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #34
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Lol yes

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #35
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead

don't know that you that you guys had this musical reminder in the 90s, to help you keep punctual. the whole of New Zealand remembered to ask themselves what time it was for a good month while this was in the local charts, causing unprecedented nationwide punctuality

Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #36
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

i don't think people have to be 5 minutes early, that's just what i like to do... and i don't think people have committed a wrong against me if they are late.

what made you bring this up, vix?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #37
vixnix
Socialphobic

Ah yeah, sorry about that - I didn't make it clear that I don't think people who make a point of being 5 minutes early and considering that to be "on time" make judgments about those who arrive later, or feel they've been wronged if other parties are late.

I have read vent-type articles written by people who do feel that way, and people have spoken to me previously in a pointed way to convey the judgments they made of me because of my repeated lateness.

I brought it up because a U.S. expat here said that in the U.S. that is the general rule - 5 minutes early is on time, 15 minutes late is don't bother.

She was specifically talking about kids sports - so if you are late to practice, you're the last one to get game time on game day, if you're late by 15 minutes or more, you won't play at all. If you're late to a game by 15 minutes, you miss that game and the one the week later, and if you're repeatedly 15 minutes late to practices and games you're off the team.

So I just wondered what the perception was here, given that there are a lot of U.S. people here

Things are more relaxed in New Zealand, where I'm from. Certainly with kids sports - there's no uniform culture. Each coach (who is a volunteer parent, usually) has their own thing going on with punctuality. Some care, some don't. Most parents just want their kids to have a run around on a Saturday morning and have a bit of fun with other kids. So they wouldn't kick a kid off because they're late - I mean, it's not usually the kid's fault anyway, so it seems kinda harsh to punish them...thought it depends on the lessons you're aiming for kids to learn, with organised sports. Learning that you can't participate in some things if you can't be in the right place at the right time, is definitely a valuable lesson.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #38
Bread Regal
Banned

because i know how hard it is to always be on time i avoid judging people unless it's a major inconvenience and causes like a cascading error.

i went to a school with a magnet program which took in kids from all over the county, but if you don't live near the school, you don't get dedicated school bus service. if you were rich enough, your parents drive you across the county. otherwise, you would take the city bus, which is extremely unreliable. and very frequently in the mornings there'd be an announcement to excuse these kids from being tardy because the city bus was late.

and there'd be a lot of judging, because the kids were usually black, and they'd come in late and have a lot of attention drawn to them. so i learned early on that people have legitimate reasons for being chronically late. so i don't judge.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #39
Bread Regal
Banned

and there are racial undertone to the judgement, for sure.

in miami there's something called "cuban time"

Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #40
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

i've heard it referred to both "cuban time" and "black people time"

it should just be called "miami time" because fuckers from miami are always late

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 PM   #41
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

How about Florida time? 2 hours in the future

Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #42
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i've heard it referred to both "cuban time" and "black people time"

it should just be called "miami time" because fuckers from miami are always late
oh yeah, "CPT". never heard it until hillary tried to make a joke.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #43
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #44
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal

ouch

Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #45
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal

and trump was all like hey bitch i'm orange don't make fun of me and my time