Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #151
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

brutal

Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #152
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

spoiler alert:

Those were some truly bizarre decisions they took for the characters. I could live with all the episodes thus far, although Dany's sudden madness didn't sit well for me. I could live with this one up to and including the moment Jon kills her, but everything after that is really not good.

Just Arya for example, not that that was even the worst one, but why did they feel need the need in the first place to decide that her future would be sailing west? Did her character ever show any interest in discovering what's there? They could have simply chosen to not tell anything about her future, save for maybe a subtle hint but instead they let all these characters end up in ways that seemed to have little to do with who they always were.

Too bad a great show has to end with the worst episode.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #153
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

or am I just being trolled? did they upload a fake finale?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #154
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

WILL THERE BE A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Old 05-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #155
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

the Jon storyline gave me some traumatic Dexter finale vibes

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #156
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I can’t make any sense of what happens to Jon. Who’s watching the Night’s Watchmen?!

Seriously what would the Watch even do? The wildlings are all either dead or on good terms and the Others are gone. So he gets to start it up, but what would they even do?! And how come Grey Worm was just totally fine with that?!

I don’t get it. There are just more questions. Making Arya forsake Gendry just read as a try-hard independent woman move to me. Ned foreshadowed her marrying him.

I imagine most of the events of the ending will be similar in the books, but I expect the characters’ directions afterward will actually make sense.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #157
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Also making Dany into Stalin was such a lame try-hard move so dumb viewers could understand things. I forgot these writers have to dumb everything down to the absolute lowest possible point. What the hell was that scene.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #158
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Also there is no way in hell all those other asshole lords would be like “Hell yeah, make the sorcerer boy king!” But they all go “Yup, okay!” Immediately. Dumb as hell.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #159
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I feel like people were speculating that they were all dead the whole time right from the first episode, so p disappointed here

Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #160
FoolofaTook

et tu topley?

Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #161
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I only made it like halfway through season 1 before deciding it wasn't for me so I'm doing my best to keep up here

Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #162
FoolofaTook

I actually read the first 30 pages of the first book and all the chapters containing dragons in like books six and seven or something.

In my defense, I was in jail and had read everything else there was to read, including western christian romances (yes, such abominations exist).

Old 05-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #163
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Old 05-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #164
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

https://imgur.com/gallery/KPIRqpX

Old 05-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #165
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

tbh the plot points were pretty clearly GRRM. If you thought Jon was gonna end up on the throne in the series about subverting fantasy tropes idk what to say. It's pretty hilarious that he goes right back where he started and was happiest.

In fact, the last 2 seasons have basically felt like a list of bullet points that GRRM came up with, the gaps between which were subsequently filled with ham-fisted nonsense. No pacing, 100% plot-advancing dialogue, zero logistics.

Like I could see Bran becoming king, but not as a result of an impromptu back-alley council where all of the most powerful people in the world nonchalantly aquiesce to Tyrion's feeble suggestion.

I can see Dany burning down King's Landing, but her reasons were all Anakin Skywalkerish.

I can see Bron scoundreling his way into lordship of Highgarden, but not the way it happened in the show.

I can see Arya killing the Night King as an agent of the many faced God, but not a single line of dialogue was given regarding this.

The plot points were mostly fine with me, but everything that makes the plot remotely interesting has been absent. And a lot of characters were just totally ruined by rushing from bullet point to bullet point.

Contrivances like Euron and the scorpions one-shotting dragons only to be inexplicably impotent in the following episode is very obviously manufactured drama for TV, since the writers couldn't figure out a way to make it seem like the dragons couldn't just steamroll the Lannisters, which of course is what happened anyway but they had to make it... "suspenseful".

Didn't love it didn't hate it. It was. unarguably anticlimactic.

Oh and Grey Worm is fucking worthless. There were at least 8 shots of Grey Worm just scowling at Jon or Tyrion because the writers couldn't think of anything for him to say that would justify letting either of them walk after murdering their queen.

There's good shit here, just needed about 15 more episodes to flesh it out. Such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Thanks for that, good read. The groundwork for the massacre was definitely there. I think it caught so many people off guard because of the lightning fast pace of the season and writing shortcuts.

Last edited by killtrocity : 05-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #166
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

good post

yeah it's a funny thing; when i flesh out in my mind's eye what turned out to be the full narrative arcs, i still quite enjoy some out that. i just horribly disagree with everything about D&D's interpretation of it, or whatever you'd like to call it. like, i just love the idea of creating a character like danaerys - the character you create to make the audience fall in love with it, only to essentially feel heartbreak when she finally departs into madness and becomes something that you can't respect anymore, even though it's kind of what she always has been. that's brilliant. and that's just one arc. many of the others have been about as satisfying

to leave you off like that, disillusioned with a character so previously strong Narratively, is ballsy and profoundly astute writing. GRRM really is an incredibly skilled artist.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 05-20-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #167
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

also, i kinda can't help but wonder how much of Bran's arc is the work of GRRM, and how much it is the work of power duo Shits&Giggles.

after establishing that Bran mostly lives in the past and cannot really see into the future per se, i thought it was ridiculous and dumb that they made him all smug like, "yeah, i meant it exactly like dat all along".

the whole impromptu counsel that feels like a weird exchange in some back alley when he is annointed after some feeble Tyrion speech. gimme a fucking break. lazy, incompetent writing at its best.

i could have been on board for the three eyed raven to end up king, but it would (and could) be much better than that.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #168
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
The plot points were mostly fine with me, but everything that makes the plot remotely interesting has been absent. And a lot of characters were just totally ruined by rushing from bullet point to bullet point.
Remember how Melisandre just killed herself after the NK was dead? Like her opposing god just gave up and said "Okay we're done now."

That was probably the lowest point of them trying to wrap up a plot point.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #169
FoolofaTook

Do you follow Game Of Thrones on television at all?

No.

-Ursula Le Guin

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-c...-troublemaking

Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #170
redbreegull

I am filled with joy that this has been such a miserable disappointment to you all

Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #171
Alice
Minion of Satan

*Brought to you by the Kindness Regime

Old 05-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #172
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

This show is absolutely inescapable on my damn twitter feed and I read some kind of speculation/interpretation

That this Bran guy has been possessed by some amoral or malevolent immortal manipulative entity and everybody got tricked into making it ruler for life, meaning forever

Is that true, because if so that's metal as fuck and I respect the hell out of it

Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #173
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord