Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #91
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

I listened to the interview. They said the first release was the one where Dave Navarro got his hand licked during the solo. Indeed that is the trip. But often times us "hardcore" fans know more about that shit than they do. They could be thinking it was Astral Planes. Which I hope is the case. The Trip is just a straight rocker live, they'll have to really spruce it up in the studio for it to be a good first release. Because imo...the first couple releases of this album are the most important.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #92
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually though...the way The Trip starts may make for a good album opener.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #93
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

he probably should have announced this then immediately released the first song. the announcement would have got a little more attention

Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #94
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

still not clear if he's recording all 44 songs now in the studio and releasing them piecemeal, or is he going to do one EP at a time?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #95
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i don't know if this has already been discussed -- but i was thinking that four CDs of 11 songs each makes a lot more sense to me than 11 CDs of 4 songs each.

he said the thing is in 4 parts, right? not 11 parts. if the concept really is something he's thought out, i can't imagine 11 CDs making sense.

"ok guys, the first two CDs and the first three songs on the third CD are part 1. the fourth song on the third CD, the fourth and fifth CDs, and the first two songs on the sixth CD are part 2. the second 2 songs on the sixth CD, the seventh and eighth CD, and the first song on the ninth CD are part 3, and the last 3 songs on the ninth CD, and the tenth and 11th CDs are part 4. simple, right?"

and he's complained in the past about the ADHD generation, etc. you really think people are going to pay attention for 11 flipping CDs with only 4 songs each on them? yeah right. i could probably manage 4, if i tried, but not a chance for 11.

why do i get the sense that there's not much real thought behind this concept at all...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #96
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

what you don't understand is that when the actual content on the cd's is less valuable you have to create value elsewhere. you could put the maximum amount of songs on a cd and it would still not be worth more than a cd with only two songs since all the audio content can be downloaded for free anyway. the more cd's the more artwork and the higher value for fans.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #97
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

you can burn all the songs to one cd anyway, this is about the presentation and how it looks on your bookshelf.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #98
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
you can burn all the songs to one cd anyway, this is about the presentation and how it looks on your bookshelf.

that's not really what i'm getting at. if they were all released at once, this would be a fine point. but that's not really how he's going to be releasing them, is it

Old 09-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #99
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

ok i misunderstood your point. I don't see why it would be worse to have a bunch of good looking ep's on the bookshelf that have been released over a period of 4 years instead of a bunch of ep's that were all released on the same day.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #100
wHATcOLOR

i see what you're saying, and good point about hving to create value elsewhere, when it's not in the music. what i was trying to say wasn't really about the physical presentation of the music. a bunch of good looking releases sounds pretty good, when all is said and done. i was getting at how many times he's going to have to break inertia and get people to pay attention.

Pay attention, new cd!
- ok, cool, let's check this out

Pay attention, new cd2 of 4!
- response varies based on how first cd was, but most people pay attention, probably some more

Pay attention, new cd3 our of 4!
- most people can do that

Pay attention, new cd4 out of 4!
- that's manageable. unless the first 3 were awful, people can pay attention

vs.

Pay attention! 4 new songs!
- ok cool, let's check this out

- regardless of first 4, people will probably still check this out

- if first 2 were great, even more people pay attention, if not, probably fewer

- uh.. ok

- hmm. can't you like.. consolidate or something?

- seriously man, you're like a spammer. granted, it's free music, and not a mortgage offer, but
still.. (and this is assuming the music is still worth paying attention to)

- you know what? fuck this. i'm not paying attention. you've officially worn out your welcome

- i don't even care of the songs were good. that's it, i'm tuning out

Pay attention!
- *no response*

Pay attention!
- *no response*

Pay attention!
*no response*

plus the fact that it seems so highly unlikely bill can stick with anything that's 11 installments. 4, maybe

Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #101
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...-giveaway.html

Paste Magazine article mentions all the songs will be out by Spring 2010 then there will be a world tour (?). Don't know where they're getting that.

Elaborating on the plan for Paste via e-mail, Corgan explained: "It is obvious that the system that was in place for many years no longer works to everyone's benefit. Artists still need to be paid for their work—I am not interested in subverting that fact. I am, however, interested in subverting a system that works against holistic thinking when it comes to how art is made and delivered to those who might want to hear it."

He continued by making a point that those of us on the other side of art's creation tend to forget — that fans and critics aren't always the most important part of the equation. Corgan's move to release his music for free, without label interaction, keeps the ball in his court. "What is most important to me is that I am free," he said.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #102
Raventhird
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian iha View Post
He will abandon the project halfway through though.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #103
Banana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i don't know if this has already been discussed -- but i was thinking that four CDs of 11 songs each makes a lot more sense to me than 11 CDs of 4 songs each.

he said the thing is in 4 parts, right? not 11 parts. if the concept really is something he's thought out, i can't imagine 11 CDs making sense.

"ok guys, the first two CDs and the first three songs on the third CD are part 1. the fourth song on the third CD, the fourth and fifth CDs, and the first two songs on the sixth CD are part 2. the second 2 songs on the sixth CD, the seventh and eighth CD, and the first song on the ninth CD are part 3, and the last 3 songs on the ninth CD, and the tenth and 11th CDs are part 4. simple, right?"

and he's complained in the past about the ADHD generation, etc. you really think people are going to pay attention for 11 flipping CDs with only 4 songs each on them? yeah right. i could probably manage 4, if i tried, but not a chance for 11.

why do i get the sense that there's not much real thought behind this concept at all...

selling 11 ep sets of 4 songs = more potential for profit than selling 4 ep sets of 11 songs.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #104
dustrock
debunked!

there's 44 different tarot cards, is that what he said?

it would be cool if they would ******* some jpg artwork, one tarot card for each song.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #105
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

the more i think about it the more i wish this was a bit more organized. he said in the interview he has no idea when he will finish, but that he has 55 songs.

he should release 1 4 song EP a month over the course of a year

Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #106
slowdawn
Pledge

Please don't let the first release be The Trip. It's all about Circular Change! If he wants a rocker then do Astral Planes or one of those 'A' songs he has waiting...

The first song he releases should be one of the best, and The Trip is quite generic from what we've seen from it so far. Regardless of the meaning of The Trip and the relation to starting the journey etc, no will care about that if the song is bland.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #107
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

it must be the trip

Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #108
jm9843
Ownz

He said during the call in to Navarro's radio show that the album would take longer than 12 months to complete because they'd tour during it. So I'd expect the album to be completed in 2011.

2011 = 11 EP's * 4 songs = 44 songs = Billy's age in 2011. Corgan logic.

Seriously though, I think the decision to go with 11 EP's of 4 songs each is to further distance himself from the LP-format. Despite releasing the songs digitally one at a time, they are planning to work on only 4 songs concurrently at any given time. In that way the EP's will be a unique collection, a snap-shot of that period in the studio.

I'd also have to say that The Trip was my least favorite from the Spirit's shows so I'm somewhat disappointed that it'll be the first release. But it does seem appropriate from a lyrical standpoint that it would be the first song of a 12+ month 44 song musical odyssey.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #109
dustrock
debunked!

Corgan correction on the Paste article (is he reading this thread?):

Smashing Pumpkins dot com | correction from billy regarding paste magazine article

I did a small interview via email with Paste magazine today. I thought the article itself was very positive, but unfortunately the information in it is somewhat misleading about the release schedule of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'.

I have no plans to release 44 songs by the spring of 2010. Because my intention is to only put out music of the highest caliber, I will be only be recording about 4 songs at a time and then releasing them one by one shortly after their completion. 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be a new kind of album, an album you can hear as its being made. That process will unfold over the next few years.

Well, that settles that.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #110
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

sounds like something that can be abandoned

Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #111
threetwooneZERO
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes it does.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #112
Trotskilicious
Banned

i love the fact that there's no actual release date

BILLY YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL BE ONE

Old 09-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #113
slunken
Virgo

I hope that no huge tours will be done until a significant body of work is released.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #114
wHATcOLOR

this is his new newage hippie thing coming into play. "i just wanna be like... free, maaan" "accountability is for suits!" "this is about soul mind body integration, maaan. let go of the old paradigm and like, free yourself, duuude"

Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #115
dustrock
debunked!

They've started in the studio and the first song isn't coming out for over a month.

A Five Year Plan?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #116
Trotskilicious
Banned

the toadies record albums faster than that

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #117
OwenWilsonsNose
Demi-God

In the interview, he says 3-4 weeks between each song. Id be willing to bet that the time will be shorter on a few choice occasions. We may get a 2 week span between songs sometimes. Im sure it'll be rare, but it may happen.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #118
dustrock
debunked!

unless he gets really excited about the new material and decides to release 11 bunches of 4 songs.

the way he's doing this, he really does have to release one of his best songs first, otherwise no one will care. except us.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #119
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

also, how is he going to notify everyone that the song is released if he doesn't ask for emails?

seriously if he already has 55 songs, that fit this story he should record 4 over a week and on like the 20th of every month release a 4 song ep and have it done over a year. if he takes too long interest will be lost

Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #120
paranoid
Minion of Satan

if he were REALLY committed to giving away this record for free, he'd give out the 11 hard copy EPs and final box set away for free of charge as well. If I were to buy all of these editions, I'd end up spending more money on this 'free' album than I have on any other smashing pumpkins record.