Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #151
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Seeing as Corgan music these days either sounds like a pale retread of that sort of Siamese Dream-esque formula or just pop/adult contemporary shit in general, in an ideal world, it'd be cool if Jimmy rejoined proper, but instead of trying to assimilate into that arena rock sound again, actually drove the direction of the band into a sort of jazz-rock fusion combining Chamberlin's sensibilities with elements that sort of psyche/shoegaze/hard rock influence of the Pumpkins. I feel like the only thing that would really make me interested in Corgan's output again is if he tried something innovative and artistic, like when he changed gears for Adore, instead of just spinning his wheels trying to do boring pop rock in a sad attempt to "get back into the mainstream" or whatever.

I think this is exactly what was happening in those 2008 shows... it was becoming this psychedelic-jazz-metal thing and nobody got it. I fuckin loved it though. Seriously, people still shit on the 20 minute Set the Controls cover, and most won't even listen to it or attempt to see it in any serious way. I thought it was fucking brilliant.

I'm gonna have to go this tour now, I admit it. I'm sad about it being a 75 minute set list that'll be more greatest hitsy, but seeing JC behind the kit.... this is can't miss. It'll have the same issues the 07-08 tours had - namely that it's not really the Smashing Pumpkins - but will be a hell of a good time.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #152
Ram27
dumb

How does it work with Manson though?

Can I just go late and skip his part?

Last edited by Ram27 : 06-26-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #153
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
name one phenomenal song he's written since 2000
Is Machina II 2000 or '01? It's pretty brilliant. All of Mary Star of the Sea. "Ma Belle" and "Stellar." I like the 1-2-3 at the end of Oceania in "The Chimera," "Inkless," and "Glissandra." "Freak" is a really good song.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #154
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
I think this is exactly what was happening in those 2008 shows... it was becoming this psychedelic-jazz-metal thing and nobody got it. I fuckin loved it though. Seriously, people still shit on the 20 minute Set the Controls cover, and most won't even listen to it or attempt to see it in any serious way. I thought it was fucking brilliant.

I'm gonna have to go this tour now, I admit it. I'm sad about it being a 75 minute set list that'll be more greatest hitsy, but seeing JC behind the kit.... this is can't miss. It'll have the same issues the 07-08 tours had - namely that it's not really the Smashing Pumpkins - but will be a hell of a good time.
Holy shit man! I was going to say the same exact thing. They were really peaking as a unit then. They were experimenting and improvising, adding horns and messing with arrangements, progging out, and mixing crazy setlists with extended psychedelic jams and nobody got it. It was exactly what a fan of Billy's vision and a fan of the synergy between Billy and Jimmy would want and they got booed. That's when Billy became combative with the audience and got more press about being a dick.The irony is that when the new SP really began to gel and redefine themselves they imploded. I honestly thought they were going to become successful in the jam scene for a second after seeing them 6 or 7 times between 2007 and 2008

Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 AM   #155
KissesandNoise
Banned

Think of Zeitgeist if Jimmy wasn't on it. Give "Ma Belle" and "Stellar" a listen and picture how any other drummer would kill those songs instead of propelling them the way JC does.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #156
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
Is Machina II 2000 or '01? It's pretty brilliant. All of Mary Star of the Sea. "Ma Belle" and "Stellar." I like the 1-2-3 at the end of Oceania in "The Chimera," "Inkless," and "Glissandra." "Freak" is a really good song.
glass house shows

Old 06-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #157
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

You guys are whining about Manson? Seriously? His newest album is one of the best of his career, one of the best rock albums released this year, and was a far better album than MTAE. His set will be awesome.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #158
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

But yeah, I don't think Corgan wants to try anything artsy or progressive again, because the last two ambitious albums he tried (Adore and Machina) weren't that well received, and now he's forever trying to recapture that early-'90s fame by trying to be as accessible as possible, and making middling rock music as a consequence. Even things that were ambitious in format (Teargarden's intended four-year one-song-at-a-time project) were pallid in content, with pretty shitty bubblegum songs and arena ballads. If I want MOR rock, I can just listen to Counting Crows or Bryan Adams or Train or something.
It'll be interesting to hear the new album since there's no drummer and billy thinks its a "breakthru". itll probably just be really shitty EDM Imagine Dragons shit

Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 AM   #159
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
.The irony is that when the new SP really began to gel and redefine themselves they imploded. I honestly thought they were going to become successful in the jam scene for a second after seeing them 6 or 7 times between 2007 and 2008
Completely agree. I used to imagine the kind of album they could have made if they'd gone into the studio in late 08/early 09 as a 9-piece, with 10 minute songs and a finished Gossamer to top it off...

i actually think the first Teargarden EP was kind of in that same headspace, but done as a solo act. It's after that failed to connect that the material got more and more retrograde. Oceania was a step backwards in terms of "progressive music" but was at least heartfelt and sounded like a band. MTAE is so crass, so thin. Nothing SP2 has recorded can hold a candle to the old stuff

Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #160
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Marilyn Manson just did an AMA session on REDDIT:

Quote:
I'm quite excited if the rumors that Jimmy Chamberlain is back in the band are true. Hearing more of the original songs I first listened to for the Smashing Pumpkins, before I even had a band. Billy asked me if I knew any drummers, I guess he needed a replacement drummer, and on my flight home from France, i had a strange dream that I told him Jimmy Chamberlain, and then I woke up and saw that it was true.

So I don't know if that means that dreams come true, or if the flight was so long that something strange happened, and synchronicity brought it together.

It continues to be one of those years for me and a lot of people that are in my life that special synchronicity keeps happening, and I feel like it's going to continue to build.
Link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...yn_manson_ama/

Old 06-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #161
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Billy sounds like a bf who just got back together with his ex on a temporary basis and is "taking it slow" because that's the condition of them sleeping together again but everyone knows he's already planning the wedding
This is perfect.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #162
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

For all those wondering what kind of record Jimmy and Billy would've made together if Jimmy wasn't gone in 2009: the last song they recorded together was G.L.O.W.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #163
Eulogy
huh

The set the controls cover was a giant garbage pile and anyone who says otherwise is lying to him or herself

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #164
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
You guys are whining about Manson? Seriously? His newest album is one of the best of his career, one of the best rock albums released this year, and was a far better album than MTAE. His set will be awesome.
Yes. So many people are writing them off and I'm not sure why.

Listen to the pale emperor guys. Or at least third day of a seven day binge, killing strangers, and Cupid carries a gun

I love deep six but I can see how others may not. Whole album is pretty good. I'd probably say it's better than MTAE too.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 AM   #165
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #166
Eulogy
huh

What's your point

Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 AM   #167
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
For all those wondering what kind of record Jimmy and Billy would've made together if Jimmy wasn't gone in 2009: the last song they recorded together was G.L.O.W.
FOL came out after that

Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #168
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Whole album is pretty good. I'd probably say it's better than MTAE too.
If you're not really sure if the album is better than MTAE so it's not that good at all.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #169
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
FOL came out after that

But fol was recorded before that. It's a z b-side. Not a good song anyway.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #170
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

it's a terrific song

Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #171
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...0812170528.gif

Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #172
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

I dig this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hez7yAj51vk#t=42

Old 06-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #173
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Terrific

Old 06-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #174
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
If you're not really sure if the album is better than MTAE so it's not that good at all.
I enjoy both of them

Old 06-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #175
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it would be cool if jc left again after a show or two. IN A WHITE VAN.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #176
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
GLOW was a good song, and I loved the burned out hippy LSD acid trip binge Corgan was on.

Superchrist also ruled.

They were genuinely doing something new, and I liked that. shrug

Last edited by ninsp : 06-26-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #177
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...and he retweeted this:

Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #178
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
GLOW was a good song, and I loved the burned out hippy LSD acid trip binge Corgan was on.

Superchrist also ruled.

They were genuinely doing something new, and I liked that. shrug
Tell me how you do something new by using a riff from 1995 again?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #179
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
FOL came out after that

It's not a bad straightforward rock song, but it's missing the boost into the heavens that James tends to contribute

Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #180
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Whatever it is missing there, are FOL and GLOW good enough songs for all the excitement we got for Jimmy's comeback?

It happened before, and we got machina, Mary star of the sea, d.i.a. and Zeitgeist.

I'm not saying I'm not happy Jimmy's back. I'm just saying we won't get great albums if Billy, and only Billy, doesn't write brilliant music anymore.