https://i.imgur.com/YD7EIOR.gif

Old 04-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #1652
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

n I r v a n A

Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #1653
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
what about ed
I'd put him up against Jonathan Melvoin so I guess one more point in Radiohead's favor

Old 04-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #1654
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post

I can't believe this song is only a b-side. The King Of Limbs ain't my favorite Radiohead album, but its b-sides are amazing...
It's a bside cause it's boring.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #1655
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post

Ok Computer was the last time they changed.
dafuq

Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #1656
redbreegull

I truly didn't think shit could get any stupider on the SP board, but then this thread came along

Old 04-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #1657
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

It was tho. After that they only experimented with electronica and dubstep. Exploring the same elements in different ways is not changing. It doesn't necessarily means it's bad tho - REM never really changed but managed to keep their music fresh.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #1658
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

...dubstep?

Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #1659
redbreegull

Quote:
It was tho. After that they only experimented with electronica and dubstep. Exploring the same elements in different ways is not changing. It doesn't necessarily means it's bad tho - REM never really changed but managed to keep their music fresh.
what the shit are you talking about

Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #1660
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Yep, specially after The Eraser was released, and the influence is very clear on TKoL. Read the reviews about that one, I'm pretty sure you gonna find people talking about the dubstep influences on it.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #1661
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Radiohead messing around with some ideas from the world of dubstep, the bass-mad, UK-bred dance subgenre. Abstract, loopy, throbbing.
- Rolling Stone

Quote:
Instrumental that maintains the late night post-dubstep ambient intimacy blended with a light almost jazz-African percussive groove.
- The Telegraph

Quote:
The most surprising thing about Limbs isn’t the slight touch of moody dubstep that courses throughout
- Spin

Quote:
But it’s also tricky to find (or feel) an emotional center here, and the obvious hazard of focusing on atmospherics — and deliberately referencing other, less accessible genres, like dubstep and house
- Stereogum

Know your shit, lads!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #1662
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc33 View Post
Billy fucked CL on the reg, even though they were both married at the time. Kurt's OD in Rome was right after a fight over CL having just finished touring Hole through Ireland, being in the same cities as SP. You must not know much about Nirvana, or Billy's cheating history with every long-term relationship of his life, including Chris, Yelena, Sierra, and now AirplaneMode.
If Cobain killed himself, the image of Billy banging his wife for years had to play a part in it. If I didn't believe in the murder theory, I'd be certain Billy killed Kurt on the inside, likely on jealous purpose. All the well-documented cheating would be a motive to kill Kurt off, as adultery would have left CL quickly divorced and penniless, with a public-rep to destroy her future. CL has made over $100M off Kurt since '94. However he died, Billy Corgan is a big player in the unraveling of Kurt's life.
This is spot on. I'm surprised it isn't more of a common narrative in pop-culture. Although Charles Cross did mention it in his Cobain biography that Kurt and Courtney were fighting over Corgan shortly before he killed himself and that it likely played a role.

Maybe it's why Billy had such a decrease in songwriting ability. It had to have been tough knowing that you had a hand in the suicide of one of the most beloved artists of the generation.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 04-06-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #1663
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm surprised it isn't more of a common narrative in pop-culture.
well it's 90% conjecture so

Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #1664
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
only radiohead song i ever hear on the radio is creep. very very rarely, karma police.

meanwhile i hear TT, 1979, bullet, today, and disarm all the time. frequently, but not as frequently, landslide and cherub rock. rarely, 33
Hmmm I always hear Karma Police out here. Not as much as Creep, but it's still a mainstay. I sometimes hear High and Dry too.

As for Pumpkins songs, 1979 is the main one, then sometimes Today and Disarm and Tonight Tonight rarely.

So it's not like there's a big difference in regards to SP getting all that more radio play.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #1665
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
well it's 90% conjecture so
Not really, it's a fact that Courthey's infidelity was one of the biggest strains on the marriage. Would he have killed himself if Courtney was faithful? I kind of doubt it.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 04-06-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #1666
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Pretty decent pull for such a little troll of a man while his partner of 25 years lay dying:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...0755813079.jpg
Damn! Nice score!

Way better than the youngen Billy's banging

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 04-06-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #1667
redbreegull

Quote:
Not really, it's a fact that Courthey's infidelity was one of the biggest strains on the marriage. Would he have killed himself if Courtney was faithful? I kind of doubt it.
you can doubt it all you want, everything you think is fact here is 90% conjecture

Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #1668
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Hmmm I always hear Karma Police out here. Not as much as Creep, but it's still a mainstay. I sometimes hear High and Dry too.

As for Pumpkins songs, 1979 is the main one, then sometimes Today and Disarm and Tonight Tonight rarely.

So it's not like there's a big difference in regards to SP getting all that more radio play.
there is in south florida. like i said, i hear creep once in a while. i spend perhaps 3-4 hours per week in my car and i usually hear 2 or 3 sp songs a week, and i hear creep maybe once a month. obviously this is anecdotal and i don't even care and i don't listen enough to have a good sample, maybe the DJs that tend to be on when i'm in the car play a relatively large amount of SP compared to the other ones. idk.

the radio doesn't really mean shit though

Old 04-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #1669
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Maybe it's why Billy had such a decrease in songwriting ability. It had to have been tough knowing that you had a hand in the suicide of one of the most beloved artists of the generation.
That's dumb. He had perhaps his greatest run of songwriting from 1994-1996 after Kurt was gone. Those two things have no correlation at all.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #1670
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Who wasn't Courtney banging back then? Yeah Billy and Kurt had a rivalry, but I seriously doubt he was thinking about Billy Corgan that much in the last days of his life and probably more about what a psychobitch his wife was. It's well documented that Kurt was going to begin divorce proceedings against her but that's a whole other story and this isn't a Nirvana forum (nor is it a Radiohead forum).

Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #1671
Eiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
... this isn't a Nirvana forum (nor is it a Radiohead forum).
Could've fooled me from the last 5 pages of this thread.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #1672
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
are you getting muse and radiohead mixed up

because this makes 0 sense

Old 04-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #1673
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
- Rolling Stone

- The Telegraph

- Spin

- Stereogum

Know your shit, lads!
Obviously these reviewers do not know theirs. Think they're listening to too much Mount Kimbie. This made me go back and relisten to TKOL. There was a time when everyone without a clue was just throwing the term dubstep around to describe anything electronic. Just because some shitty rags want to throw around the latest popular genre name at the time to sound hip and in the know doesn't make it so. The King Of Limbs has absolutely zero resemblance to dubstep whatsoever. TKOL is an atmospheric jazz album with syncopated beats and very minimal electronics. For the folks that actually listened to the album here, these so-called reviews are ridiculous. Sounds like a bunch of idiots parroting each other for relevancy. I don't hear anything relating to dubstep whatsoever on any of the tracks on TKOL and I listen to dubstep (Actual real proper dubstep, not that Skrillex shit that idiots went and stole an established genre name and gave it to the sound of A.D.D. robots fucking each other. If you listen to real dubstep, you will see that it is nothing like Skrillex at all). This sounds more like they are describing the TKOL remix album. Honestly, I have yet to hear Radiohead incorporate dubstep. I see Feral mention in these reviews, which is baffling as Feral feels like it could fit on Hail To The Thief... so I guess that means Hail To The Thief is dubstep as well going by these clueless reviewers logic. You want dubstep, go listen to Muse. Now that's a band that went downhill. The King Of Limbs and dubstep? Sorry, no.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 04-06-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:02 AM   #1674
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc33 View Post
You guys are still in love with Billy. You hate him also, but you're not ready to stop loving him, also. You're all full of shit, especially you, Corgan's Bluff & Oklahoma Sexual.
"Nuh-uh, not our Billy. Billy wouldn't do that. He couldn't."
Billy "killed" Kurt, deal with it.
Don't worry this is my last post. I was right not to share JC's reveal to me of the '07 reunion 3 months before Billy announced it, because I hate you all.
I only loved D'arcy. Until she botched her lips and became too self-destructive.

I hate Billy for not loving D'arcy, being so self-destructive to ruin the band reunion.

Billy killed his band's reputation in 2000. He should have never used the band name again.

Don't worry. This will be the last tour under the "Smashing Pumpkins" moniker. Corgan will retire from the music business this year blaming unfaithful fans for it who are now more interested in disbanded bands like Nirvana.
Yes, Nevermind still sold more copies than the whole Smashing Pumpkins catalogue. Fuck you, Billy Corgan!

Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #1675
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
- Rolling Stone

- The Telegraph

- Spin

- Stereogum

Know your shit, lads!
what's your favourite dubstep artist

Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 AM   #1676
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

also what's a better dubstep album; ok computer or the king of limbs

provided that they didn't change their sound in between albums

Old 04-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #1677
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

silly question, if your favorite dubstep isn't Kid A, you don't know good dubstep.

and with good dubstep I mean dubstep for asexual white English upper class men with no balls.

keep it as daft as possible, everyone, this thread won't end until September, that should be fun!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #1678
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes. let's have a contest to make this the most retarded thread ever. it's already well on its way.

winner gets the stupidest prize in history, which I haven't decided on yet. suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #1679
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Obviously these reviewers do not know theirs. Think they're listening to too much Mount Kimbie. This made me go back and relisten to TKOL. There was a time when everyone without a clue was just throwing the term dubstep around to describe anything electronic. Just because some shitty rags want to throw around the latest popular genre name at the time to sound hip and in the know doesn't make it so. The King Of Limbs has absolutely zero resemblance to dubstep whatsoever. TKOL is an atmospheric jazz album with syncopated beats and very minimal electronics. For the folks that actually listened to the album here, these so-called reviews are ridiculous. Sounds like a bunch of idiots parroting each other for relevancy. I don't hear anything relating to dubstep whatsoever on any of the tracks on TKOL and I listen to dubstep (Actual real proper dubstep, not that Skrillex shit that idiots went and stole an established genre name and gave it to the sound of A.D.D. robots fucking each other. If you listen to real dubstep, you will see that it is nothing like Skrillex at all). This sounds more like they are describing the TKOL remix album. Honestly, I have yet to hear Radiohead incorporate dubstep. I see Feral mention in these reviews, which is baffling as Feral feels like it could fit on Hail To The Thief... so I guess that means Hail To The Thief is dubstep as well going by these clueless reviewers logic. You want dubstep, go listen to Muse. Now that's a band that went downhill. The King Of Limbs and dubstep? Sorry, no.
I'm so sorry, I should've checked with you before reading the most important music magazines for their reviews. I left some of them out, let's have a look:

Quote:
The very orchestral “Bloom”, for instance, hints at the few genres they’re dabbling with – specifically that dubstep minimalism, no doubt influenced by Yorke’s time spent with Flying Lotus
- Consequence of Sound

Quote:
It feels like an English answer to Philip Glass’ teeming Koyaanisqatsi or Debussy gone dubstep
- Uncut

Quote:
While The King Of Limbs always sounds great, the actual songs prove elusive—perhaps too elusive at times. (The dubstep dalliance “Feral” is best appreciated as a showcase for Selway’s rapid-fire time-keeping.)
- AV Club

Quote:
Taking dubstep and electronic influences, whilst hearkening back to the earlier albums Yorke and co. have produced shows a tired, lack of energy within the group which cannot be understated
- Sputnik Music

Quote:
"Feral" has a much more commanding rhythm, like a vintage Fela Kuti beat grafted with dubstep, the subgenre of British dance music that shares Radiohead's penchant for the downcast melody and ethereal electronics.
- Washington Post

Quote:
The layered drumming is intense, while in the background an ear drum bursting bassline creeps in, probably earning the song the tagline: “Radiohead go dubstep.”
- Gigwise

I mean, they probably don't listen to real dubstep like you do, and that's probably why basically every review mentions the dubstep influences.

Shall we read further, just in case?

Quote:
Burial released the groundbreaking Untrue and sort of wrote the blueprint for the post-dubstep/future garage boom that would happen over the next few years. Thom Yorke noticed, and had Burial remix a song off his solo album The Eraser, as well as Four Tet, who was dipping his toes in a similar sound and would go on to collaborate with Burial. Around the same time Radiohead dropped TKOL, Thom Yorke, Burial, and Four Tet put out the collaborative “Ego” / “Mirror” single, and like with Kid A and UNKLE, it’s hard to imagine that “Ego” / “Mirror” and TKOL weren’t coming from a similar headspace.
I mean, they are probably all wrong.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #1680
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

forgotten child has all the reviewers on his side

you could argue with him but you'll have an army of reviewers against you in no time