Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #31
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3
I've interacted with a lot of different fans, but SP fans (maybe just Netphorians in particular) have to be the worst. And this is really saying something, since Tool and NIN fans are pretty stupid.

I'm not talking about having to constantly suck Billy's cock. There's plenty I don't like about SP: songs, albums, tours, etc. Yeah, it's easy to see how people can think the robes are stupid and be disappointed about not having old members.

However, stuff like all this posting of old band pictures and moaning over times past in the PARIS show discussion thread is sickening. It reeks of an obsession with IMAGE over MUSIC. This is how emo kids and mainstream pop fans act.

We get a HUGE fucking rock show, and an ensuing tour where millions of people will get to hear songs that might not have EVER even been played live again. PLUS, Billy is even allowing all this open bootlegging! How many mainstream rock bands do that?!

I don't give a fuck about how the current situation compares with your idealized nostalgia. I've been a huge fan since 1995, I remember Billy with hair and cute D'arcy and all that shit. YOU GET TO SEE SP AGAIN, you get to hear Cherub Rock and Silverfuck and Tonight, Tonight, etc. slamming you in the face from huge speakerss and Billy ripping out solos on stage. You get a whole new album of hard rocking songs.

If you can't enjoy this without James standing a certain way or making the occasional wisecrack, or without thinking about beating off to D'arcy later that night, then you're really not into the music at all, you're into an idealized memory.

I hate censorship, and think people should be able to post whatever they want, but I'm just sharing my reaction to what I see. Feel free to flame away.
I agree with everything you said. But you know, I was all over the internet trying to find out about the show yesterday, every message board (at least while they were up), the live photo blog, youtube, myspace...and from what I've read, the MAJORITY of fans feel the way you and i do. It seems to be a small group of people, mainly here on netphoria, who like to take every opportunity to bash the band and billy. I have no idea why people who appear to dislike billy so much want to waste all of their time on netphoria, but I don't think they represent the majority of us. And yeah, I miss the old days too, I miss the whole band being together, I miss seeing them in normal clothes, hell i just miss being 20. But I'll accept the fact that I'm 33 and this band has changed since 1994. Like you, I'm just glad to have them back. And most importantly, they're still REALLY FUCKING GOOD. that's all that really matters.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #32
steelfaerie
Ownz

Thanks for posting this. I feel exactly the same. I don't know if it's just Netphorians, since I hear much of the same from SP fans I know in real life, too. But it disappoints me that so many fans of what is at heart an avant-garde rock band would be so desperately unwilling to accept change.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #33
TuralyonW3
Immortal

http://forums.netphoria.org/photoalb...hatephoria.jpg

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #34
TuralyonW3
Immortal

pavement is awesome

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #35
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo
I think it's just Netphoria. The Australian and UK sites don't have the same 15-year-olds whining about 'pumpkins without James and D'Arcy is Zwan 2.0' and such illogical nonsense.

Also, the Zomb site is full of Pumpkins fans and they are all friendly and helpful.

Some of the clowns here do talk nonsense. I can't understand why someone would post to a Smashing Pumpkins website when they seem to HATE 90% of everything about the band and Billy.

I say if you hate Billy Corgan, go and spend your time on something other than a web forum devoted to Billy Corgan.

I love the new song, can't wait to hear the album, and am very hopeful that they will tour in Australia.

looks like i just said exactly the same thing you said....well this post wasn't up yet when i was typing mine...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #36
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaerie
Thanks for posting this. I feel exactly the same. I don't know if it's just Netphorians, since I hear much of the same from SP fans I know in real life, too. But it disappoints me that so many fans of what is at heart an avant-garde rock band would be so desperately unwilling to accept change.
Nobody would care about change if it was done with finesse. Billy and his methods are the laughing stock of the music industry. You never caught Bowie being a histrionic 3 year old.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #37
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Bowie defines histrionic craig. and his 80s output was just awful (huge fan btw)

Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #38
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

Red face

Quote:
Bowie defines histrionic craig. and his 80s output was just awful (huge fan btw)
I dont know jack shit about bowie tbh. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon10.gif

My point was more that he played the game well.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #39
Axis of Action

I find the hate refreshing.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #40
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowKiss
Nobody would care about change if it was done with finesse. Billy and his methods are the laughing stock of the music industry.
exactly.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #41
steelfaerie
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowKiss
Nobody would care about change if it was done with finesse. Billy and his methods are the laughing stock of the music industry. You never caught Bowie being a histrionic 3 year old.
You're 100% correct, but Billy's tantrum wankfests are one of the reasons I love him, tbh.

I'm still in it for the music, and if he wants to dress up like a clown next time, I still wouldn't much care as long as the music is there. Things don't stay the same forever, and I think a lot of people here are so caught up in 1993-nostalgia circle jerks that they don't see past what's actually going on.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #42
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah. Alot of Jaded Netphorians.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #43
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

billy's behaviour and empty promises make me embarrassed to say the pumpkins are/were my favourite band. billy's solo album/poetry/zwan album tracks also do the same. how can you not expect us to expect the worst after all this?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #44
paranoid
Minion of Satan

well, this band changes so much that it sets people up for dissapointment, and there are lots of people in this world who, for whatever reason, love to be dissapointed because it allows them to complain and sit on their high horse.

You see it in everyday life, netphoria is no different.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #45
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
billy's behaviour and empty promises make me embarrassed to say the pumpkins are/were my favourite band. billy's solo album/poetry/zwan album tracks also do the same. how can you not expect us to expect the worst after all this?
Try seperating past from present, musical endeavours from others and persona from songwriter. That should give you a pretty good start

Last edited by Deadeyes : 05-23-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #46
mellon_c0llie
Minion of Jesus

i hate the hatred.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #47
skipgo
Minion of Satan

but seriously no one ever answers the question; why are you still here if you're so disenchanted with everything billy's done in the past 7 years? There are plenty of bands I don't like, even some I used to like and don't like now, and I don't spend any time on message boards for those bands whining about how much i don't like them. What's the point?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #48
solacematt
Pledge

I agree 100% with you man. It's the main reason why i stopped posting around here for a good year, because I couldn't stand all the negativity. God forbid you had something positive to say, you got negative repped. If you love a band so much, why would you waste your time, and I do mean waste time considering may people have over a thousand posts here. I guess there's a reason why this place is referred to as 'hatephoria.'
Personally, I never really liked James. Going by song writing credits it's not like he was the most contributing member of the band. His humor sucked, personally I'd rather see someone up there who knows that it's a gift to be able to play music for a living, than someone who acts like it's a chore. The thing that people connect with the most are Billy's lyrics. Those of us who were around back when the band was still in there hey day and touring know they did a hell of a lot of touring and put out a lot of fuckin music for one band. Look at bands nowadays and you're lucky to get a new cd of at least 12 songs, forget about B-sides and rarities, you never get that anymore.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #49
Syco54645
Ownz

Quote:
I've interacted with a lot of different fans, but SP fans (maybe just Netphorians in particular) have to be the worst. And this is really saying something, since Tool and NIN fans are pretty stupid.

I'm not talking about having to constantly suck Billy's cock. There's plenty I don't like about SP: songs, albums, tours, etc. Yeah, it's easy to see how people can think the robes are stupid and be disappointed about not having old members.

However, stuff like all this posting of old band pictures and moaning over times past in the PARIS show discussion thread is sickening. It reeks of an obsession with IMAGE over MUSIC. This is how emo kids and mainstream pop fans act.

We get a HUGE fucking rock show, and an ensuing tour where millions of people will get to hear songs that might not have EVER even been played live again. PLUS, Billy is even allowing all this open bootlegging! How many mainstream rock bands do that?!

I don't give a fuck about how the current situation compares with your idealized nostalgia. I've been a huge fan since 1995, I remember Billy with hair and cute D'arcy and all that shit. YOU GET TO SEE SP AGAIN, you get to hear Cherub Rock and Silverfuck and Tonight, Tonight, etc. slamming you in the face from huge speakerss and Billy ripping out solos on stage. You get a whole new album of hard rocking songs.

If you can't enjoy this without James standing a certain way or making the occasional wisecrack, or without thinking about beating off to D'arcy later that night, then you're really not into the music at all, you're into an idealized memory.

I hate censorship, and think people should be able to post whatever they want, but I'm just sharing my reaction to what I see. Feel free to flame away.
seconded. watching the youtube today sent a chill down my fucking spine. cherub rock made me really happy. the pumpkins are fucking back. it is all part of the machina mystery anyways. i for one am really happy with the current pumpkins.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #50
myosis
Minion of Satan

SP has always been more than just music for me. sorry, guy.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #51
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Maybe some of us would rather hear the pumpkins with james in it then some dumbfuck that bill wouldn't even bother introducing to the audience. Its not that it I must see james there, its that I would rather listen to the pumpkins with him, if possible. Billy took that option from us. We had no say so in the band makeup of the band, and after 10+ years of buying his bullshit, I wasn't going to buy it anymore. I could care less if I get to hear the songs again, its not the best representation of the band. I won't even mention darcy since no one even knows where the hell the bitch is, or what condition she is in.

Also, if you have the balls to just leave the past behind, and not even bother asking an original and integral part of the band back, then have the balls to introduce the new yesmen you brought into the band.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #52
candycane
Demi-God

Soulution for the haters:

James and Darcy reform the pumkins. They fire Billy like Van Halen and Iron Maiden did. Seemed to work out for those guys anyway.

Anyone getting a vivid mental picture of a reformed Pumpkins without Billy? Even if they had Jimmy it would be laughable. Point is, I think every case is different and In this case Billy really is, and always has been SP.

So be happy, relax, and quit bitchin!

Besides Bill has been being pretty cool recently. Recording shows? I can't even tell you how stoked I am about that. It never happens.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #53
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

The thing is James/darcy wouldn't continue without billy. Not that they couldn't get another singer, there are plenty of shit singers out there, they just wouldn't.

Oh, and you're a stupid fuck.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #54
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

They wouldn't continue without billy because they couldn't, are you having a bit of a retard moment today or something esty? How do you keep a band going without the man who wrote all the songs and the voice that sold them all to the world? it's not like billy corgan's voice is that of any dime-a-dozen vocalist or something. Some of your arguments against billy are pretty good but come on guy, you have to admit that last one is laughable.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #55
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Everybody here is hating on billy for being "such an asshole" but nobody has mentioned that the band didn't play any of the James-cowritten SP tunes at their reunion show yesterday. Two of which are huge hits and fan favorites (I Am One, Mayonaise).

Seems pretty respectful, if you ask me.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #56
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncrashesdown
Everybody here is hating on billy for being "such an asshole" but nobody has mentioned that the band didn't play any of the James-cowritten SP tunes at their reunion show yesterday. .
it's not a fucking reunion

Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #57
pyrocus
Demi-God

James and D'arcy couldn't continue without Billy simply because they didn't write the songs. Now that would definitely be a Smashing Pumpkins cover band if they tried to continue with a different singer and still play SP songs.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #58
pyrocus
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncrashesdown
Everybody here is hating on billy for being "such an asshole" but nobody has mentioned that the band didn't play any of the James-cowritten SP tunes at their reunion show yesterday. Two of which are huge hits and fan favorites (I Am One, Mayonaise).

Seems pretty respectful, if you ask me.
Aren't those like the only two? There are a few more, but those songs weren't hits or very powerful Smashing Pumpkins songs.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #59
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocus
Aren't those like the only two? There are a few more, but those songs weren't hits or very powerful Smashing Pumpkins songs.
you're a fucking idiot.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #60
pyrocus
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess
you're a fucking idiot.
Fuck you, bitch. What I said was the truth.