Old 05-01-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
hnibos
Braindead

Cool Bought a one way ticket to Alaska AMA

AMA

Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Mooney
Socialphobic

what's your favourite flavour of ice cream?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

What happened to Poots?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

How do I find true love?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Is Alaska your favourite drag queen?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

why

Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

You can go to Alaska but you can’t go on one little dome tour in ATL? Dead 2 me

Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

are you becoming an ice fisherman

Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

isn't it cold there

Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

does McDonald's serve a burger made from chunk of ice to suit the local palette there?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
Elphenor
Braindead

I've been there

it is lovely though I went during the summer so it's as if I didn't go at all I suppose

Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #12
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Do you think it's stupid that you have to travel across Canada to get to Alaska and then you're in the United States again?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #13
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Is Superorgansim the best new band of 2018?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 PM   #14
noyen
Immortal

can i go with you

Old 05-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #15
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
What happened to Poots?
Idk, hopefully dead. He was trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
How do I find true love?
Grindr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Is Alaska your favourite drag queen?
No, that's Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
why
Loaded question. I'm settled here. A job that pays the bills. A decent enough condo with my brother who is a permanent roommate and I never have to worry about him bailing. A car that's paid off. Parents close by that will always help. So I'm stagnant and always have been. No motivation to do better. So, maybe I'm crazy, but I feel I need to get close to rock bottom and be in a position where I have to try to survive or be a failure. There's no risk of me failing here so I just cruise. I'm also tired of living in a big city, and traffic, and all the transient population, and everything seems fake and manufactured. My closest friend lives there now too and I want to be close to him but with that said I'm not planning on telling him. He knows kn considering it but I want to do this alone without any help from anyone and not feel indebted or anything like that. I'm taking very few belongings and I guess my cat but I'm iffy on that because of the hassle. I probably will though, I have a plan for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
You can go to Alaska but you can’t go on one little dome tour in ATL? Dead 2 me
I'm in a different financial situation now and the money I'm putting into this is to improve my quality of life and put myself in a position where I need to do better. I'm cheap with money, I only want to make some kind of long term investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Maybe. I'm going there without a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
isn't it cold there
I'll probably die in the winter which honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
does McDonald's serve a burger made from chunk of ice to suit the local palette there?
Only fish burgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Do you think it's stupid that you have to travel across Canada to get to Alaska and then you're in the United States again?
Not if you fly. I'm not taking my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Is Superorgansim the best new band of 2018?
I don't listen to music anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
can i go with you
Honestly I'd love that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
what's your favourite flavour of ice cream?
Cookies and cream. Lame, I know.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

How do we achieve world communism?

Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #17
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
This.

And Hawaii too.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #18
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
You guys fish for ice up there? You know you can make it in freezers, right?

Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 AM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
This.

And Hawaii too.
Wait, you don't have to travel across Canada to get to Hawaii, do you?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #20
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Have you read Into The Wild and did it influence this decision in any way, shape or form?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #21
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

how do you feel about pandas?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post

Loaded question. I'm settled here. A job that pays the bills. A decent enough condo with my brother who is a permanent roommate and I never have to worry about him bailing. A car that's paid off. Parents close by that will always help. So I'm stagnant and always have been. No motivation to do better. So, maybe I'm crazy, but I feel I need to get close to rock bottom and be in a position where I have to try to survive or be a failure. There's no risk of me failing here so I just cruise. I'm also tired of living in a big city, and traffic, and all the transient population, and everything seems fake and manufactured. My closest friend lives there now too and I want to be close to him but with that said I'm not planning on telling him. He knows kn considering it but I want to do this alone without any help from anyone and not feel indebted or anything like that. I'm taking very few belongings and I guess my cat but I'm iffy on that because of the hassle. I probably will though, I have a plan for it.

Maybe. I'm going there without a job.

Not if you fly. I'm not taking my car.
Enrique! dang. It does not sound all that happy, but... it could be! Alaska, hell yes.

WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING?
WHICH PART?
CAN I COME VISIT??? (next year, that is.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
I don't listen to music anymore.
In retrospect the time I did not listen to any music (a couple of years ago) was maybe the time when I was the deadest inside (deadest inside is straight up Montese, isn't it.)
You will have to. When you stand in the woods in Alaska. You need headphones and music.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #23
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Enrique! dang. It does not sound all that happy, but... it could be! Alaska, hell yes.

WHEN ARE YOU LEAVING?
WHICH PART?
CAN I COME VISIT??? (next year, that is.)

In retrospect the time I did not listen to any music (a couple of years ago) was maybe the time when I was the deadest inside (deadest inside is straight up Montese, isn't it.)
You will have to. When you stand in the woods in Alaska. You need headphones and music.
I'm scared, especially of the first month or so, but I absolutely have to do it. I don't think there's any chance my depression will end or my life will improve here. My flight is on July 10th, I'm going to Anchorage. Everything is booked. And of course you can come visit! Going skiing and break our legs together!

Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #24
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Have you read Into The Wild and did it influence this decision in any way, shape or form?
No and given the name it sounds like something I shouldn't read because it will scare me away from this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
They should infest the world and kill all humans.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #25
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
enrique, you're beautiful and i love you. no sarcasm.
this is inspiring.

i don't want to come off as the guy who thinks he'd reached enlightenment or anything, but i've done pretty much what just you're talking about, only somewhat less cool. i moved to china. but, it was still wholly crazily uncharted territory, in the wake of brutal heartbreak, and it has been a skin-shedding complete mindfuck crazy progress of a process. if you need to, let yourself burn down to ashes when you go there. but keep going. embrace it and smell the flowers. i'm honestly excited for you and what you may find.

if it's worth anything, i honestly believe you are doing the right thing

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
How do we achieve world communism?
Arm ourselves and kill the elite. Yeah I know it's not gonna happen and I wouldn't partake because I'm a shit commie.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #27
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I really like what tb wrote. I'm excited for you, too.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
vixnix
Socialphobic

but I reckon pave is right and you should take headphones and listen to music...

Old 05-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #29
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
enrique, you're beautiful and i love you. no sarcasm.
this is inspiring.

i don't want to come off as the guy who thinks he'd reached enlightenment or anything, but i've done pretty much what just you're talking about, only somewhat less cool. i moved to china. but, it was still wholly crazily uncharted territory, in the wake of brutal heartbreak, and it has been a skin-shedding complete mindfuck crazy progress of a process. if you need to, let yourself burn down to ashes when you go there. but keep going. embrace it and smell the flowers. i'm honestly excited for you and what you may find.

Idk, moving to a different country where you don't know the language seems pretty rad. I'll be fine. I have enough money to last me through at least the end of the year so I don't think I'll burn down to ashes. But living with strangers, not knowing what gonna happen in the coming weeks after I land is scary and will be emotionally tough but I'm convinced it will drive me to constantly want to improve my life because I wont want to be scared forever.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll probably be lonely enough to come back here. I don't want to tell my friend until I'm well into being settled.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

so do I. not just because Alaska has been on my fantasy-life-list for a long time.

at some point, when you realize the life you live and the place you are in, are making you miserable, or keeping you miserable, AND you have the option to try something else - hell yes, go for it.