Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #31
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
He's a shit person, so there's your motive.
But if Billy got that vibe during the interview, it might have led him to be more guarded about things like D'arcy.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #32
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
The interview has kind of a subtle anti-Billy vibe. There's some good stuff in there, but I think I could have gotten more out of him. He seemed very guarded.

It's pretty pathetic (but not a suprise) how the NYT desperately injected politics into the interview. They even tried the guilt by association tactic when they mentioned Alex Jones.

Even in an interview with a band they can't STFU about their political agenda.

Quote:
I think I could have gotten more out of him.
I think so too.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
Try Try Give Up
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
The interview has kind of a subtle anti-Billy vibe. There's some good stuff in there, but I think I could have gotten more out of him. He seemed very guarded.
True. You get people to reveal so much.

Anyway, the D’arcy situation wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t still want in, which she claims to. She napalmed that bridge.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #34
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
“I would say 80 percent of the things that I get sort of held up and mocked for, I’m doing intentionally,” Mr. Corgan said. “It’s sort of funny to me that they actually think I’m that stupid.”

LOL OK
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...d-facepalm.jpg

Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #35
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
Lmao at James hair. How is it so fucking thick. I've never even seen a chick with hair that thick.
I was just thinking he has fantastic hair

Old 03-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #36
Skradgee
Boardcaster

I wonder what Corgan's Bluff is going to think about all this!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #37
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Mr. Corgan pointed out that he had not even seen Ms. Wretzky in 19 years and he called the exposure of their correspondence “horrifying,” though he declined to get into the specifics of her accusations.

“I think what she did demonstrates why she couldn’t be involved,” Mr. Corgan said. “I was vulnerable and shared things and trusted that there was a reason to give it a chance, despite plenty of empirical evidence that that was not a wise decision.” That bridge is now burned “forever,” he added.

So that was all a "vulnerable pathetic" Billy Corgan wanted to say regarding the conflict with D'arcy? Still a crybaby...

Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #38
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Already, there had been some schadenfreude around reports of sluggish ticket sales in certain cities, but Mr. Corgan was defiant. “Are they all selling as well as I would like them to sell? No,” he said, but he added, with eyes toward the international market, that the band was still ahead of estimates and selling more tickets overall than it did in 1997.

New York City concerts 1997:
1997-01-09 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY, US
1997-02-17 Carnegie Hall New York City, NY, US
1997-02-25 NBC Studios, Studio 6A New York City, NY, US
1997-02-26 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY, US

New York City concert 2018:
2018-08-01 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY, US
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/the-sm...ab=efeat5763v1

Old 03-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #39
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Mr. Corgan insisted the tour would be a corrective after decades of hardheadedness. “We’re going to say, ‘Look, yes, we’re brats. Yes, we’ve tested your patience. But this is our absolute best effort,’ ” he explained. “We charted a very, very, very difficult path, and have rarely received the credit. This is our time to have a party — we deserve a party.”
That said, Mr. Corgan slipped in, it’s probably a one-time thing.

versus

This is a big tour with maximum pressure. And there is no room for error.
Show will be timed to minute and will run same set list every night due to production concerns, massive setlist, and need to be A level Broadway type show.
We have to prove to world we can compete at highest level or tour we’ll never get out of America.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #40
-derek-
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Already, there had been some schadenfreude around reports of sluggish ticket sales in certain cities, but Mr. Corgan was defiant. “Are they all selling as well as I would like them to sell? No,” he said, but he added, with eyes toward the international market, that the band was still ahead of estimates and selling more tickets overall than it did in 1997.

New York City concerts 1997:
1997-01-09 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY, US
1997-02-17 Carnegie Hall New York City, NY, US
1997-02-25 NBC Studios, Studio 6A New York City, NY, US
1997-02-26 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY, US
Not making any excuses for that dumb statement of Billy's, but none of those NYC shows in 1997 are full band shows; one was David Bowie's 50th, one was a Tibet House benefit, one was Saturday Night Live, and one was the Grammy Awards. So, technically no NYC shows in 1997.

That being said, 1997 is a weird year to use as an example, as the majority of shows were European festivals.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #41
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

1996-01-11 Academy New York City
1996-01-12 Academy New York City
1996-01-13 Academy New York City
1996-09-17 Madison Square Garden New York City
1996-09-18 Madison Square Garden New York City

Old 03-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #42
bigoltitties
Pledge

What a boring fucking interview.

How about Iha explains why he reached back out. How was that not a line of questioning? Iha and Chamberlain don't have anything to say because they don't have anything good to say. This is a money making endeavour for them, and that's it.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #43
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
It's pretty pathetic (but not a suprise) how the NYT desperately injected politics into the interview. They even tried the guilt by association tactic when they mentioned Alex Jones.

Even in an interview with a band they can't STFU about their political agenda.
Well, it’s pretty important in terms of a measuring stick for how out of touch Corgan is with what was once his fanbase (and most sane people).

The disillusioned teenagers and twenty-somethings that dug SD, and the rich, literary depth of MCIS & even Adore/Machina are not suckered by Alex Jones. They aren’t catered for by SP 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 or wherever we are. Those people are listening to other bands. Corgan has pretty openly derided them, talked of “computer geeks” taking over rock’n’roll, and isn’t direct or honest with the fanbase. But he needs them back now to sell these shows. Alex Jones is toxic to a lot of people - and it says a lot about Billy he associates with him - it may even have been a desperate business decision to tap into that audience, but you can’t blame NYT for mentioning to when Billy keeps appearing on Infowars, a propaganda machine for Trump and the alt right.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #44
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Yeah that's definitely worth mentioning at least, doesn't per se tell that much about their political agenda

Old 03-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #45
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Well, it’s pretty important in terms of a measuring stick for how out of touch Corgan is with what was once his fanbase (and most sane people).

The disillusioned teenagers and twenty-somethings that dug SD, and the rich, literary depth of MCIS & even Adore/Machina are not suckered by Alex Jones. They aren’t catered for by SP 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 or wherever we are. Those people are listening to other bands. Corgan has pretty openly derided them, talked of “computer geeks” taking over rock’n’roll, and isn’t direct or honest with the fanbase. But he needs them back now to sell these shows. Alex Jones is toxic to a lot of people - and it says a lot about Billy he associates with him - it may even have been a desperate business decision to tap into that audience, but you can’t blame NYT for mentioning to when Billy keeps appearing on Infowars, a propaganda machine for Trump and the alt right.
Trump was elected President and plenty of people who listen to rock music voted for him, just like plenty of them voted for Hillary, and plenty didn't vote for either or vote at all. Many artists express their political views and appear on political shows, most just happen to be Democrats. Corgan actually has expressed his political views far less than someone like Eddie Vedder, who actually does it during concerts. Corgan has never discussed politics at shows, outside of a couple of comments in 2008 about Obama and Sarah Palin. The only time he really talked in-depth about the current political climate was the 2016 Alex Jones appearance.

The way the political part of this article was put in was meant to try to take a shot at Corgan, and he probably sensed it during the interview. You are never going to get someone like Corgan to open up about other things like D'arcy if it's clear you're trying to mock him with his political views. If I was interviewing Eddie Vedder or Billy Corgan for an in-depth thing I would not pose any political subjects in a way that would deride their views.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #46
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't care about Darcy not being there at all. I just don't want Jeff. Total snoozer.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #47
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Jephobia

Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #48
T&T
Socialphobic

kind of a boring wheat paste beige article. these guys are dad rock.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #49
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
YeH I wish there was some more juice to this.

Personal highlights:

- Billy loves comparing himself to dead icons who can’t defend themselves.him and Kurt were the two great “scribes” of the 90s, and now him and Lou Reed are the two greatest heels??
srsly. Roger Waters was much more of a heel than Corgan and is still much more revered.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #50
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Omg, that article is complete shit. what an absolute bore these dweebs all turned out to be. b'arcy standing in the front of the photo, blaming d'arcy for his bs and calling it horrifying (whilst no mention of slipping the photo to mancow), saying i could say xyz, but i won't because it's irrelevant (after fucking saying it), talking 90% of the time, claiming it's the best place the band's ever been, ticket sales better than 1997, and intentionally being an absolute dickhead on purpose 80% of the time. does that mean 20% of the time he fucks up, it's accidental?

fuck you, billy. you fucked it all up and are continuing to fuck it all up. pissing all over your legacy. the only point in paying attention now is to see how low it goes.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #51
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

There's only one person, Corgan would answer on every question:

Old 03-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #52
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

and i gotta say, the article itself was not written well. iha reunited on stage last spring? try 2016

Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #53
fuzzyroes
Banned

Was hoping for a bit more of an in depth interview... Nothing really said here that we didn't already know.

I think it's telling that he had nothing to say regarding the D'arcy situation. I guess there's nothing he really can say considering she shared the actually text correspondence.... I still assumed he'd try and rationalize his decision of hiring Jack Bates over her. Also the first time that Jack is confirmed for sure. That definitely suckssssss . Jeff and Jack are like watching lumps on stage. He at least could have hired some players with a little stage presence.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #54
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
and i gotta say, the article itself was not written well. iha reunited on stage last spring? try 2016
oh my god that was two years ago. same time as those leaks.

time flies when you want to die

Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #55
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It was "horrifying" because he's a control freak and he wants to control the narrative (something he always accuses journalists of doing). When D'arcy leaked the texts and did that interview she took complete control away from him. It was beautiful to see him squirm like that for once. It was "horrifying" because it showed him for who he is behind the scenes and in business dealings.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 AM   #56
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

As i said: darcy is a complete waste. I am glad she isnt there in the band.
Ny interview proves that she isnt healthy at all. Byebye darcy . stay on your farm and feel happy milking cows . what a fucked up individuum she seems. Seems that the rockstar life didntdo her good

Old 03-23-2018, 03:04 AM   #57
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
As i said: darcy is a complete waste. I am glad she isnt there in the band.
Ny interview proves that she isnt healthy at all. Byebye darcy . stay on your farm and feel happy milking cows . what a fucked up individuum she seems. Seems that the rockstar life didntdo her good
petition to ban

Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #58
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Speaking about that Let it Be style album. Does anyone remember some of the song titles Billy spoke about on the official site circa 99/00? Supposedly post MACHINA titles.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #59
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Many artists express their political views and appear on political shows, most just happen to be Democrats.
Yeah except... the alternative to Democrat isn’t Alex Jones. It isn’t a legitimate political opinion to believe in chemtrails and pizzagate and whatever crazy shit Jones is spewing. It’s noteworthy for a celeb to not only endorse that view but appear on the show on multiple occasions, and it also falls into a pattern of behaviour for Corgan.

Quote:
Corgan actually has expressed his political views far less than someone like Eddie Vedder, who actually does it during concerts.
He has said enough for people to form an opinion. It’s incoherent, pseudo-intellectual garbage, portraying a lack of political understanding or social intelligence.

Quote:
Corgan has never discussed politics at shows, outside of a couple of comments in 2008 about Obama and Sarah Palin. The only time he really talked in-depth about the current political climate was the 2016 Alex Jones appearance.

The way the political part of this article was put in was meant to try to take a shot at Corgan, and he probably sensed it during the interview. You are never going to get someone like Corgan to open up about other things like D'arcy if it's clear you're trying to mock him with his political views. If I was interviewing Eddie Vedder or Billy Corgan for an in-depth thing I would not pose any political subjects in a way that would deride their views.
You may be able to get more out of him that way.

But Corgan is the problem here, not NYT.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #60
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...even in the introduction they already try to go with the guilt by association tactic.

Quote:
Mr. Corgan, 51, became a
Quote:
recurring guest on Alex Jones’s Infowars programming

This is the first subliminal message to their liberal readers >>> Billy is bad!!!

...from the middle of the article:

Quote:
Where Mr. Corgan remained most conflicted — and most contradictory — was in grappling with his outsize public persona (a reputation that includes, but is not limited to, authoritarian control-freak, trash-talker and conspiracy theorist) and how it has affected his band’s legacy.
Here they are at it again...subtly telling their readers 'remember what we told you about Billy in the introduction? Don't forget about it! He's guilty! He got interviewed by Alex Jones! And Billy is also a conspiracy theorist!'.

In the end of the article they are going full throttle...the readers mustn't forget what we told them in the introduction and the middle of the interview!!!

Guilt by association is activated to the max:

Quote:
The Pumpkins’ remaining baggage is less musical. While the band was never particularly political, it returns at a supercharged and divisive moment when Mr. Corgan’s associations with the right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who argues that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax and Sept. 11 was an inside job, are particularly loaded.

But they are not done yet >>>

Quote:
Some fans have wondered if the singer supports President Trump

We can't allow anyone having a different opinion, can we?

They hate any musician who's not a liberal. Who gives a shit who he voted for or who he supports? 62,984,825 people voted for Trump. Stop trying to make it controversial to support the President of the USA.

Quote:
and other terms used in some conservative circles to dismiss leftist identity politics. And he defied any opportunity to coddle conflicted fans.
Again...they just can't allow a musician to not have liberal views.
"defied any opportunity to coddle conflicted fans"???...who cares about some conflicted pussies who need a safe space?

In the end of their article they tell their readers that the tour isn't selling well.

Quote:
Already, there had been some schadenfreude around reports of sluggish ticket sales in certain cities, but Mr. Corgan was defiant.

The NYT had a clear agenda to write the article the way they did.

They just can't STFU about politics. They could have used that space to ask interesting questions related to music.