Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #91
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

You are thinking in terms of the finished record though. What He originally envisioned was quite different and would've been built around that track.

But yes it probably wouldn't have worked very well.. which is why Flood gets paid the big bux.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #92
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Are you saying the best track list of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is sitting in a can at his house?

Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #93
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
insane? not i. for i was inspired by van halens "show your love". all that fire and swagger building up and up, climaxing in.. bop baaa da shooby doo wop!. that glorious, beautiful prayer to nonsense. my favorite moment on VH1. perhaps my favorite moment of VH period. nobody does that. "because it's stupid. it's a gimmick", said he. we recorded it but there was no way Flood was going to let it go on the record. tis a shame and something i should've fought for.
This would be a good idea for a band where literally any member was good at singing

Old 11-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #94
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

TAFH is the best reissue package

Old 11-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #95
Ram27
dumb

barbershop is in danger of growing stale. corgan's taking it to straaaange new places!

Old 11-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #96
trev
charm

lol at the clueless dipshits in this thread who think they can hear the difference between hi-res and red book audio.

best reissue moments:
daydream demo
soma instrumental
jesus loves his babies
blast
star song
blissed and gone crc

Old 11-15-2021, 11:28 PM   #97
Machinist
Ownz

Buying MCIS Vinyl on Canadian amazon for next to nothing due to an error. That was the best moment of all.

Last edited by Machinist : 11-16-2021 at 02:27 AM.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:11 AM   #98
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

The second disk of the Pisces reissue is probably as good as anything they've ever put out

Old 11-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #99
ilikeplanets
Braindead

High Tea

Old 11-16-2021, 01:24 AM   #100
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
TAFH is the best reissue package
Utterly insane to me that at this point, like 4 years out due to the CD/DVD reissue being out of print (and probably not that many produced) it is going for huge cash on eBay.

I thought the packaging was such shit on it that after ripping the CDs and DVD I decided to sell it back to recoup the cost of buying it.

I like the Pisces artwork, but the MCIS package wins.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #101
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Combed back thru the thread to make sure I didn't post years ago, and nope... I didn't.

Star Song is indeed great. Good pick there. Not sure I would have picked that before this thread, but yeah, it's up there.

Appreciate the Jupiter's Barbershop nods, it would come in 2nd or 3rd place for me.

Here is No Why Pumpkinland Demo is Top 5 for me.

Rick Rubin LMGTWTY is awesome. I know that many people didn't think it lived up to all of the hope/hype around it, but I freaking love that. It's Top 5 caliber for me.

But, my #1 vote is for this beast:

There's nowhere else in the recorded SP Canon where the ferocity of BC's vocal power comes through as it does in this recording. When you hear him inhale thru his teeth at the 4:17 mark then let loose, it's untouchable.

Strange that there's no standouts for me from the Siamese bonus disc. Need to go back and plumb those depths a bit.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #102
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

The SD bonus disc was underwhelming.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #103
Ram27
dumb

Moleasskiss
Never Let Me Down Again
Apathy's Last Kiss
USA
USSR

i know some of those were available on various b sides probably, but nice to have them on one thing

Old 11-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #104
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I can't recall if they did it for Apathy's, but they remixed Moleasskiss and I much preferred the original mix. They did the same with Glynis.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:28 AM   #105
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Siamese Dream heavy version I really loved on the SD reissue, that was probably my fave - just the four of them in a room rocking out with the Big Muffs cranked

Old 11-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #106
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
The SD bonus disc was underwhelming.
I really liked it, many of it was new to me, but maybe I'm not too well-versed in stuff that had leaked before

Old 11-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #107
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Let's see.

Pissant - not so different to the one on Pisces. Is it the exact same take? Sounds like it.
Siamese Dream - it's ok. There's an alternative version which is a bit different. The vox aren't that good.
STP - have had this song for years, always thought it was a Gish outtake. Anyway it's only ok.
Frail & Bedazzled - again, a better version is on Pisces.
Luna - demos like this are generally ok, but they usually make me want to listen to the real thing
Quiet - An ok run through of the song
Moleasskiss - prefer the original mix
Hello Kitty Kat - yet another inferior-to-Pisces take
Today - I quite like this, as they hadn't figured out the loud / quiet dynamic yet
Never Let Me Down Again - it's fine, but I had it for years on bootlegs
Apathy's Last Kiss - prefer the mad mix that was the original b-side, again have had it years
Ache - not a particularly great early version, in that it's not that different and is missing the magic of the record version
USA / USSR - don't think much of either of these, both instrumentals that don't really go anywhere
Spaceboy (acoustic) - why bother with this? The mellotron is what makes this tune
Rocket - another demo, see my point about demos above
Disarm (acoustic) - again, pointless
Soma (instrumental) - pointless

As I said, underwhelming. I think there just weren't many decent outtakes from the SD sessions that hadn't already been released on Pisces. I think they were fairly disciplined in terms of what material they were working on. Unlike say MCIS, when there was TONNES of material around.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #108
Ram27
dumb

should've had the spaceboy with slide guitar from mashed potatoes. so good

Old 11-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #109
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I was also disappointed with the Siamese Dream bonus material. I had extremely high hopes since that's my favorite album. Maybe I've just already devoured all content from that era, so I can't be impressed anymore. #numb

Old 11-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #110
Shallowed
Braindead

honestly there's a lot of wasted potential in most of the box set reissues. it's so scattershot.

they could have compiled all of the b-sides instead of just some of them

they could have done fresh professional transfers and remastered all of the stuff that's already widely circulating on bottlegs for decades, but they only did some of them

they could have given us more entirely unheard material, but instead we got alt takes and pit mixes and matt walker reimaginings and another three versions of blissed and gone

the best thing about the box sets has undoubtedly been the DVDs

tafh was pretty good, at least the extras on each disc had its own somewhat consistent theme, and the live compilation cd is cool as well

Old 11-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #111
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
honestly there's a lot of wasted potential in most of the box set reissues. it's so scattershot.

they could have compiled all of the b-sides instead of just some of them

they could have done fresh professional transfers and remastered all of the stuff that's already widely circulating on bottlegs for decades, but they only did some of them

they could have given us more entirely unheard material, but instead we got alt takes and pit mixes and matt walker reimaginings and another three versions of blissed and gone

the best thing about the box sets has undoubtedly been the DVDs

tafh was pretty good, at least the extras on each disc had its own somewhat consistent theme, and the live compilation cd is cool as well
The Adore bonus discs showed a cool chronological look at how it developed from this sparse acoustic album and got more gothy and electronic as it progressed

Old 11-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #112
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

My favorite of the reissue bonus discs is the Pisces one... thing flows really well and has a good mix of the whole Gish-Siamese era all blended together. I'm into it.

That said, and I know this is insane, but I wish he had titled the disc. All of the other reissue discs have titles, except for that one. Drives my obsessively organized iTunes Library Mindset crazy.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:38 AM   #113
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
The Adore bonus discs showed a cool chronological look at how it developed from this sparse acoustic album and got more gothy and electronic as it progressed
Think Billy listened to Ultra by Depeche Mode a ton during the recording, gave it a listen the other day and it's amazingly like the electronic aesthetic on Adore. Barrel Of A Gun is basically Ava Adore in terms of feel / production

Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #114
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Siamese Dream heavy version I really loved on the SD reissue, that was probably my fave - just the four of them in a room rocking out with the Big Muffs cranked
this quickly became one of my favorite pumpkin "rockers" of all time, tbh

the fact that it's just (allegedly) a rehearsal recording & not incredibly labored over just adds to the badassery of it, guitars & drums sound so, so fucking good

Old 11-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #115
smashedguava
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
this quickly became one of my favorite pumpkin "rockers" of all time, tbh

the fact that it's just (allegedly) a rehearsal recording & not incredibly labored over just adds to the badassery of it, guitars & drums sound so, so fucking good

What you said and Speed!!!!

Old 11-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #116
where is me
Demi-God

Lots of great stuff on these reissues.

To pick just one, I love the clean version of Methusela.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #117
Beta
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
nah, that was probably amazon canada offering the vinyl box set for $27, for some weird reason. a lot of people got one of those.
i don't think the cheap cd box set (i believe it was on an austrian webshop) ever got a lot of publicity.
i am from austria. why didnt you tell me?

Old 11-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #118
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

If I were to pick one from each bonus disc of the album:

Gish: Honeyspider

Siamese Dream: Rocket (Rehearsal Demo)

Pisces: There It Goes (always my favorite of the Pre-Gish songs)

Mellon Collie:

-Thru the Eyes of Ruby (Take 7): Somehow manages to be as dreamy as the album version while still sounding like you're sitting in the room with the band. D'arcy and Jimmy's groove is incredible.

-Speed

-Beautiful (Instrumental Middle-8)

The Aeroplane Flies High

-The Gravity demo of "Ugly"

-Zero (8 Track Demo): Not even that great of a demo, but shows how much the rest of the band takes a "good" idea and makes it great. The riff still sounds fundamentally badass, but the absence of D'arcy and Jimmy driving the song forward and James' guitar weaving with Billy's is sorely missed.

-By Starlight rehearsal (with Billy laughing in the middle)

-Live performance of "God" from the Double Door show

-That entire live bonus disc fucking rips

Adore:

-"What If" full band version (absolutely criminal of Billy to have replaced it with what we got on the final album)

-The alternate take of "Czarina" (possibly my favorite reissue moment)

-"Heaven" instrumental

Machina

-Heavy Metal Machine (Take 923: James Iha just stops caring version).