Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #31
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Also, come on. You can't bring up Temple of the Dog and not mention the much better supergroup, Mad Season

Temple of the Dog is more like a tribute album than a super group I think. I know they played some shows but did they tour? And none of them were famous when the album was made

Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #32
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Good timing, today is Scott Weiland's birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Weiland

Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #33
myosis
Minion of Satan

he's dead take that to mean what you want

Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #34
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The fact that he's dead now doesn't mean he was never born, take that to mean what you want.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #35
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I forgot he died actually. I remember seeing Velvet Revolver in 2007, he was a talented guy.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #36
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Temple of the Dog is more like a tribute album than a super group I think. I know they played some shows but did they tour? And none of them were famous when the album was made
Well, to be fair, no supergroup thinks of themselves as a 'supergroup,' but the comparison between the two is apt.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #37
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Good timing, today is Scott Weiland's birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Weiland
Scott's death really bummed me out. Just watching someone who wasso talented and charismatic throw it all away. Not even sad as a fan, just as a fellow human.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #38
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I always liked that Mad Season album, whereas Temple of the Dog...

Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 PM   #39
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's a shame Weiland didnd't stick it out with STP. Maybe if he wasn't regulated to playing bowling alleys and shit he would have had his shit together more and not regressed back to his old ways.

That and musically when Weiland left it was a shit show for both acts. Everyone lost.

Love this last track on the comeback STP album

Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #40
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean how much does that shit they put out with the guy from Linkin Park suck? Just god-awful.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #41
fuzzyroes
Banned

And now they're trying to start up again with some guy they found on youtube... The dudes should just pack it in. They were good in their prime, but not good that it's justifiable to drag the legacy through the mud on the strength of their past catalog.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #42
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Yeah, I wonder what Brett thinks.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #43
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's a shame Weiland didnd't stick it out with STP. Maybe if he wasn't regulated to playing bowling alleys and shit he would have had his shit together more and not regressed back to his old ways.

That and musically when Weiland left it was a shit show for both acts. Everyone lost.

Love this last track on the comeback STP album

Always though Maver and First Kiss on Mars were a cut above the rest of that album.

You could throw away the ten other songs, those two were the keepers.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #44
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah that's a nice one, I love Deans little solo at the end. I liked a bunch of other songs when it first came out, but they don't really hold up or age too well.

I've always thought this was a banger. Apparently it's a super early song that they re-did

Old 10-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #45
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I liked a bunch of other songs when it first came out, but they don't really hold up or age too well.
Same. Between the Lines woulda been okay as a Velvet Revolver song and Cinnamon was a nice song, but I have no use for the rest of that album. I read a review where the writer said the guitars on that album sound like they were played on a K-Mart "First Act" guitar and since then I can't unhear it. But the last two (admittedly Weiland-heavy) songs are spot-on.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:58 AM   #46
october
Pledge

I just put on 'Shangri-Ladi-da' for the first time in about 9 years today and I'll be god danged if I didn't miss a great album. Some fantastic tunes on that one, those DeLeo bros really have a way with their strings. Scott was lucky to have met them to be honest, a lot of pure songwriting genius they put out there albeit slightly unoriginal at times. Always loved Deans guitar chord choices, so bizarre but pleasing to the ear.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #47
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Both parties were definitely better together than apart. Solo Weiland was kinda meh, whereas Army of Anyone, Talk Show etc. went nowhere for good reason.

Shangri-La *is* a great record.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #48
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Mad Season is great

I like STP from first to tiny music, can't really enjoy the rest

tiny music is the best

Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #49
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Tiny Music might be their best album, but Purple is a true, blue classic in my book. I also do love No. 4 a great deal more than most.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #50
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

no 4's got Sour Girl how bad could it be?

Old 11-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #51
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Hey, don't ask me. Sour Girl, Atlanta, I Got You, Down, No Way Out... that album is pretty stacked.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #52
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'm about 2/3rds of the way through my first listen of Tiny Music and honestly it's fuckin good
only album of theirs i've ever heard but it's pretty far from the "grunge by the numbers" shit i'd always pegged them for

Old 11-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #53
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
it's pretty far from the "grunge by the numbers" shit i'd always pegged them for
It's amazing how listening to something can change your perception of what a bunch of idiots say about something.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #54
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
Dean Deleo used a Demeter TGP-3 into a VHT power amp for all of the heavy tones on the first two albums. For all you guitar nerds. I still think it's a unique and distinctive overdriven guitar sound.
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...ynes_world.gif

Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #55
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

The guitars on Core do sound pretty massive though.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #56
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
It's amazing how listening to something can change your perception of what a bunch of idiots say about something.
yeah "wiseguy" it was based on the numerous (early, i'm guessing) singles i'd heard time & time again on the radio

Interstate Love Song, for instance, did not win me over take that to mean what you wad;ksntal;kdrj!

Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 AM   #57
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

also, knowing that their name at one point was "Shirley Temple's Pussy" makes me like them that much more

Old 11-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #58
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Just to keep things on topic

this song is gooood

Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #59
ButtHash
Demi-God

Yeah Tiny Music is dank as shit.

I bought Core at a thrift store because I sort of liked "Creep" even though I found it kinda dumb.
I heard the first minute of "Dead and Bloated" and cracked up and wrote them off.
But they're good solid rock and rollers. Good at what they did. Still don't like Core much doh.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #60
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
Mals left me neg rep for this comment so it must of hit home for him.

He must rely on the opinions of others to shape his beliefs. That's the only explanation I can think of.