Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Default NYT Interview Is Up

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/a...interview.html

Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

I helped hook up D'arcy with the writer, glad she gave him a comment.

Really surprised Billy and company barely said anything in response, I was expecting to maybe get a different side of the story.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://i67.tinypic.com/dm9s2s.jpg

Old 03-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
I helped hook up D'arcy with the writer, glad she gave him a comment.

Really surprised Billy and company barely said anything in response, I was expecting to maybe get a different side of the story.
That's pretty cool. Overall, I gotta say this article is a letdown. It's not that different from any other interview in the last decade. Really just Billy talking about how the band fits into the world today. I want to know more about story behind the reunion, like why Iha reached out first. That surprised me.

I do like that new group shot though.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
FoolofaTook

“I would say 80 percent of the things that I get sort of held up and mocked for, I’m doing intentionally,” Mr. Corgan said. “It’s sort of funny to me that they actually think I’m that stupid.”

LOL OK

Old 03-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

D'arcy's not coming back then. Ever.

So be it. I look forward to hearing the new music. And if they tour the UK / Ireland, I'll go.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

https://i.imgur.com/GNc1bEC.png

Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
Ram27
dumb

It's really well written, but not that interesting because I just don't have any reason to care what Billy says anymore. Anything positive is likely a lie

Quote:
The question now is whether fans — who have weathered years of diminishing returns from Mr. Corgan’s mercurial antics, broken promises and odd decisions — will allow themselves to trust the band enough to care.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop View Post
I do like that new group shot though.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Ram27
dumb

yeah, that's a great photo. would be better without jeff and with d'arcy though

Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Still, he referred obliquely to the “culture war,” “fake news,” “globalists,” “Maoists,” “purity tests,” “left-leaning groupthink,” “protected minority groups,” “mass hypnosis,” “social justice warriors” and other terms used in some conservative circles to dismiss leftist identity politics. And he defied any opportunity to coddle conflicted fans.
not sure how jimmy or james can stand being around this guy

Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #12
Ram27
dumb

And god Jimmy's just the best

Quote:
But with the exception of Mr. Chamberlin, 53, who seems to have fully evolved from a drug-addicted caricature of a rock drummer into a sober Midwestern dad who plays jazz, serves on school boards and does tech consultant work on the side
sorry to wank so much but that dude is...probably the most inspirational person I can think of. battling with addiction in the 90s while still playing the shit out of the drums, and being totally sober and positive and cool in the 2000s. the couple interactions i've had with him have been great. super classy guy, the polar opposite of corgan

Old 03-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

It would have been a great opportunity for Corgan to elaborate on what happened with D'arcy. No matter how flimsy his excuse would have been, just discussing it for a few sentences would have gone a long way towards rehabbing the situation. Instead, it just adds credence to all of D'arcy's (already credible) statements.

Also, my favorite quote in the whole interview

Quote:
“I would say this is the happiest time of the band,” Mr. Corgan said, flanked by Mr. Chamberlin, who was relentlessly positive, and Mr. Iha, who seemed content to go with the flow.
As much crap as we've given Billy, it has become clear James is probably in this just as much for money as Corgan.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

(He did, however, mention one grudge that lingered: After the band played its final shows together in 2000, Mr. Corgan proposed renting out the venue Metro in Chicago, “our sort of home temple,” and record a “Let It Be”-style farewell album; Mr. Iha refused.)

MACHINA III

Old 03-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
It's really well written, but not that interesting because I just don't have any reason to care what Billy says anymore. Anything positive is likely a lie
Agreed, the D'arcy thing really lifted the veil of complete bullshit he projects.

It's crazy, I would have been so excited to hear of a Billy/James/Jimmy reunion 5 years ago - instead the whole thing leaves me feeling very little thanks to the execution of it all

Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
“I’m a free-market libertarian capitalist,” he said, adding that he had not voted since 1992, when he cast a ballot for Bill Clinton. “I’m not anti-anything except establishment. I find institutions and systems suspicious.”

Still, he referred obliquely to the “culture war,” “fake news,” “globalists,” “Maoists,” “purity tests,” “left-leaning groupthink,” “protected minority groups,” “mass hypnosis,” “social justice warriors” and other terms used in some conservative circles to dismiss leftist identity politics. And he defied any opportunity to coddle conflicted fans.
Imagine meeting this guy at a party or some type of extended family get-together. What impression would you come away with?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
ButtHash
Demi-God

YeH I wish there was some more juice to this.

Personal highlights:

- Billy loves comparing himself to dead icons who can’t defend themselves.him and Kurt were the two great “scribes” of the 90s, and now him and Lou Reed are the two greatest heels??

- when he says “I could say I wrote all the songs and did all the work, but I wont” but you just did dude!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
(He did, however, mention one grudge that lingered: After the band played its final shows together in 2000, Mr. Corgan proposed renting out the venue Metro in Chicago, “our sort of home temple,” and record a “Let It Be”-style farewell album; Mr. Iha refused.)

MACHINA III
The project was similar to what they did on the Residency shows. They would write play and record a new song every night. James and Melissa didn't like the idea.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

https://i.imgflip.com/26xd9s.jpg

Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #20
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Agreed, the D'arcy thing really lifted the veil of complete bullshit he projects.

It's crazy, I would have been so excited to hear of a Billy/James/Jimmy reunion 5 years ago - instead the whole thing leaves me feeling very little thanks to the execution of it all
Exactly. Now that I think about it, I'm really pissed how badly Billy handled this. If you told me in 2015 I could see Jimmy and James play Pumpkins tunes 30 minutes from home, I'd be over the moon. But Billy just....ruined it. Just come out and say why she won't be back, even if it's drugs - be straight with your fanbase, please. And the photo leak thing was incredibly fucked up.

And I'm still a bit salty Jeff is involved. I know he's been tight with Billy since 2007, and he seems like a good guy, but Corgan's managed to burn bridges with so many other fucking people...why not the one guy who's been the hallmark of bad Pumpkins records?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Exactly. Now that I think about it, I'm really pissed how badly Billy handled this. If you told me in 2015 I could see Jimmy and James play Pumpkins tunes 30 minutes from home, I'd be over the moon. But Billy just....ruined it. Just come out and say why she won't be back, even if it's drugs - be straight with your fanbase, please. And the photo leak thing was incredibly fucked up.

And I'm still a bit salty Jeff is involved. I know he's been tight with Billy since 2007, and he seems like a good guy, but Corgan's managed to burn bridges with so many other fucking people...why not the one guy who's been the hallmark of bad Pumpkins records?
I'm reserving judgment on Jeff until we've heard the first show. If he persists with his usual wanking, I'll cop to his presence being another awful idea. However, when he first started playing with the band in 2007, during the first run of festivals and European shows, Jeff's main role was playing James/Billy's leads when Corgan played rhythm. At this point, he almost always played the parts as they sounded on the album. It was not until the residencies, when Jeff started adding parts to new sons and improvising more on older songs, that his playing became bland.

Point being, this tour seems to be about sticking to the oldies,and I would assume, playing them as closely to the album as possible. If Jeff "sticks to the script," I actually think we might have an opportunity to hear some really great live versions of old songs. If it ends up like the 2016 shows, where Jeff just plays scales over Billy and James to feel like he belongs, I'll be pissed.

Just re-read the NYT article. I would say this most interesting thing was that James was the one who reached to Billy.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

http://i63.tinypic.com/zyf5dw.jpghttp://i63.tinypic.com/zyf5dw.jpghttp://i63.tinypic.com/zyf5dw.jpg

Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #23
paranoid
Minion of Satan

all this article demonstrates is that the pumpkins were never quite as truly big as other rock arena bands, like guns and roses as an example. they were a strange alternative band that had a huge moment for a few years.. so a reunion without darcy stage is ultimately not going to get them anywhere.

and if we're being completely honest about darcy here, yeah, there was plenty of empircal evidence that it wasn't a wise idea to bring her out on the road. it's amazing and wonderful that she's finally calling Corgan out on his bullshit years later, but i don't think Corgan was wrong in his having doubts of her coming back after not being on stage since 1999. could he have handled it better? yes. could she have handled it better? yes.

bridge burned forever? i said 'asshole' out loud after reading that. but he's said the same about courtney love many times before and low and behold they're buds again.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

He'll rebuild that bridge when Reunion 2.0 is nice and marketable and absolutely unavoidable.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
“I was vulnerable and shared things and trusted that there was a reason to give it a chance, despite plenty of empirical evidence that that was not a wise decision.”

...and yet he didn't even meet her to see for himself how she was doing musically, physically and mentally.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Lmao at James hair. How is it so fucking thick. I've never even seen a chick with hair that thick.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #27
Crepe
Demi-God

Is it me or the interview kind of says nothing really.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #28
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

The interview has kind of a subtle anti-Billy vibe. There's some good stuff in there, but I think I could have gotten more out of him. He seemed very guarded.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #29
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
The interview has kind of a subtle anti-Billy vibe.
He's a shit person, so there's your motive.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Also Corgan started reciting lyrics from the new album during the interview? That seems compulsive.