Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face Old SMASHING PUMPKINS videos in 4K resolution!

A channel on YouTube, which promotes all sorts of video material in 4K resolution, has just published two video clips from the Smashing Pumpkins, directed by Jonas Åkerlund, in ultra high definition quality.

At least pretended. So lets compare them with the on the Smashing Pumpkins channel published VEVO versions...

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 11-11-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Razor Star
Pledge

All I can see is that's cocked up the aspect ratios rendering them annoyingly unwatchable.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

4K resolution...LOL...upconverted.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

I think most people know this, but videos of the 90s were typically edited in standard definition. To get 4K out of them one would have to scan the original negatives, and completely re-edit and color correct the video just like the original. The SD space videos were edited in only exist in a maximum resolution of 480. To this day I don’t think I have ever seen this happen. Three I’ve seen it almost done. That Pearl Jam documentary had HD footage from the Jeremy video, Montage Of Heck had HD Smells Lke Teen Spirit footage, and The Defiant Ones had HD Nothing But A G Thang footage.
In all of these cases the footage used was outtakes or alternate angels. Presumably because no film footage of these videos exists within the original footage anymore, it may have been snipped out of the reels to create the master reel, now lost, or the process to scan all the footage and somehow re-edit the footage is so time consuming and tedious nobody has ever attempted it. The only pumpkins video I’d imagine that exists in film form, fully edited, that could be remastered in HD, that could get the 4K treatment is Cherub Rock.
In short, your claim is bullshit and I hope you burn in Hell.

Last edited by Kumar Littlejeans : 11-11-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Piss Christ

Old 11-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

getta load of this nerd.

everyone knows that 4k is bigger than 480. so its obviously better.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
russticles
Demi-God

Anyone notice "Untitled" went up on the SP Vevo page recently?

Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

I’ve done some thinking about this. It’s probable Siva and Rhinoceros and the unreleased I Am One video exist in finished film form, so those could be upgraded. Can’t imagine others. Maybe Zero? That just looks like straight film with no video intermediate.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

One song video at least of the nineties made it not to UHD/4K, but HD resolution on Bluray:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

SD-version:

Old 11-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
DaveKShape
Ownz

Zoom. Enhance.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
panda show
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar Littlejeans View Post
To this day I don’t think I have ever seen this happen. Three I’ve seen it almost done. That Pearl Jam documentary had HD footage from the Jeremy video, Montage Of Heck had HD Smells Lke Teen Spirit footage, and The Defiant Ones had HD Nothing But A G Thang footage.
In all of these cases the footage used was outtakes or alternate angels. Presumably because no film footage of these videos exists within the original footage anymore, it may have been snipped out of the reels to create the master reel, now lost, or the process to scan all the footage and somehow re-edit the footage is so time consuming and tedious nobody has ever attempted it.
One specific case that comes to mind (and I can't think of another) is the Nirvana live at Paramount Theatre Blu-Ray that came out a cople of years back. It looks phenomenal, and it's because of the fact that it was recorded to 16mm film (the only Nirvana show to be recorded that way), and just like you said, they re-scaned the negatives to get the HD version. I mean, the result is incredible, you get an actual 1080p video concert from 1991, but that's about as far as it's going to get. That kind of work just doesn't pay off unless you're talking about a good cash grab like a concert DVD or something similair from a band as big as Nirvana.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
One song video at least of the nineties made it not to UHD/4K, but HD resolution on Bluray:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

SD-version:

man this song is so much better than anything on shiny

Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #12
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

I’ve got the blu-ray and those videos are the same standard def versions as the DVD

Old 11-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #13
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
One specific case that comes to mind (and I can't think of another) is the Nirvana live at Paramount Theatre Blu-Ray that came out a cople of years back. It looks phenomenal, and it's because of the fact that it was recorded to 16mm film (the only Nirvana show to be recorded that way), and just like you said, they re-scaned the negatives to get the HD version. I mean, the result is incredible, you get an actual 1080p video concert from 1991, but that's about as far as it's going to get. That kind of work just doesn't pay off unless you're talking about a good cash grab like a concert DVD or something similair from a band as big as Nirvana.
That disc rules so much. Lance Bangs spearheaded that effort and edited that thing too. He also made that great Pavement DVD and that Slint documentary. Kinda wish someone would do that with the footage from the I Am One video.