Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #61
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
ude, my point is that it help his career, not specifically his solo album. He went from selling ~70K with TFE to 500K with Zeitgeist by announcing he was putting the Pumpkins back together.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
OK, but you responded to a post that was sarcastically saying it helped his solo album by saying it did work. So when you follow that original statement with your statement, that might not have been what you meant but that is what you said

Also, he could have put out an ad about the reunion at any time between his solo album and Zeitgeist. Doing it on the day his album was released was not necessary. Announcing the reunion, per se, is not what caused the successful sales. Obviously there would be an announcement at some point, but that's not what caused the sales. Putting it out under the SP name is what caused the sales.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #62
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

So if your point is "reviving the SP name helped Zeitgeist sell" well no shit, think we all understood that 10 years ago

Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #63
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
OK, but you responded to a post that was sarcastically saying it helped his solo album by saying it did work. So when you follow that original statement with your statement, that might not have been what you meant but that is what you said
No, I've been very clear and consistent with my points. If you misunderstood anything that's not on me.

Quote:
Also, he could have put out an ad about the reunion at any time between his solo album and Zeitgeist. Doing it on the day his album was released was not necessary. Announcing the reunion, per se, is not what caused the successful sales. Obviously there would be an announcement at some point, but that's not what caused the sales.
It was no coincidence that the ad announcing his intention to "revive and renew" the Smashing Pumpkins came out on the day that TFE came out. I never said, nor did I claim that the act of announcing the reunion is what caused successful sales. That was never my point.

Quote:
Putting it [Zeitgeist] out under the SP name is what caused the sales.
This is exactly what I stated with one of my points.

Quote:
So if your point is "reviving the SP name helped Zeitgeist sell" well no shit, think we all understood that 10 years ago
One would be hard pressed to know that many posters understood that based on a lot of the replies in this thread.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #64
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Or maybe you are the one being confusing, if everyone else is confused at your point, when literally everyone understands why Billy brought back the SP name because it's obvious?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #65
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I mean someone basically said "lol i hope he doesn't put out another SP add over this solo album, that didn't help his solo album succeed last time" and you're like "oh yes it worked once" but you really meant "it worked to help zeitgeist succeed, that he brought the sp monkier back."

i mean what

Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
would you bet that BC is stupid enough to try a second time to promote his solo album with a SP reunion announcement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
It worked once didn't it...
I mean read it buddy

I don't know why this annoying me so much right now I just can't stand you doubling down on something this dumb

Old 06-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #67
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Or maybe you are the one being confusing, if everyone else is confused at your point, when literally everyone understands why Billy brought back the SP name because it's obvious?
No, I've been pretty clear with my points, as broken down in post #63 of this thread:
http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...8&postcount=63

And if it's so obvious why Billy brought back the SP name, then why is everyone confused as you put it?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #68
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
I mean read it buddy

I don't know why this annoying me so much right now I just can't stand you doubling down on something this dumb
Again, I broke this down before... Idk why you're keeping at it either. I haven't contradicted myself at all, yet you seem determined to try to prove that I have.

I mean, did he, or did he not promote TFE with an SP reunion announcement? And didn't that reunion announcement come with a plug that he had a new solo LP coming out?

I suppose since TFE didn't sell a billion copies you want to say that I'm wrong here, but that doesn't mean he didn't promote the solo album with the reunion announcement.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #69
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Yes he did promote it, but you're saying it worked when it clearly overshadowed the record

regardless, that apparently wasn't even your point, as you just explained that your point was that changing the name back to SP is what helped zeitgeist. but now it is your point again? you just agreed that this was your point

Quote:
I'm done dude. I'll try reading this again tomorrow and if this all somehow becomes clear to me I'll be sure to apologize

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #70
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
No, I've been pretty clear with my points, as broken down in post #63 of this thread:
http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...8&postcount=63

And if it's so obvious why Billy brought back the SP name, then why is everyone confused as you put it?
Your post #63 is coherent. The reason people were confused is because of what you originally said, which is that it worked once to promote TFE, or that it worked to increase sales of Zeitgeist two years later which is what you seemed to have said when asked to explain yourself originally.

Regardless, the ad itself was a dumb idea and it completely overshadowed the solo record, and people are right to think it'd be stupid to do the same thing again

Old 06-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #71
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Your post #63 is coherent. The reason people were confused is because of what you originally said, which is that it worked once to promote TFE, or that it worked to increase sales of Zeitgeist two years later which is what you seemed to have said when asked to explain yourself originally.

Regardless, the ad itself was a dumb idea and it completely overshadowed the solo record, and people are right to think it'd be stupid to do the same thing again
The way I see it is that getting your band/album into a highly read and circulated newspaper such as the Chicago Tribune is a great vehicle for advertising. It was always very clear to me, even back in 2005 when this news broke that Corgan was using the Pumpkin name to sell TFE.

I honestly had no idea that TFE had even come out (or was coming out) until I read the news regarding the SP reformation (or whatever Corgan wanted to call it).

Now idk if you're a musician or if you've ever been in a band or not, but I'd wager that damn-near every musician/band would love to have had that kind of exposure in a major newspaper on the day of an album's release... especially in 2005 when record sales and newspaper circulation were far greater than they are today.

I'm surprised that this conversation has gotten as out of control as it has. I felt I made a simple comment and it's completely escalated (not hostile thankfully) beyond what I ever thought it would have. I honestly try to be very clear and I know that's not always easy on msgboards for a multitude of reasons.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 AM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Yes it was not clear, but I don't think anyone disagrees that Billy was intending to promote TFE and that he ultimately needed the SP name to sell records.

Anyway have a good night, it's a dumb argument since we do agree on these things

I am a musician btw but just for pleasure

Old 06-26-2017, 06:53 AM   #73
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

In my opinion, revealing he was reuniting the pumpkins while releasing a new album just didn't do him any favours. Suddenly everybody was talking about the reunion, speculating who was in the band and shouting for pumpkins songs at his solo gigs.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #74
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

people were shouting for sp songs at his solo gigs before he announced the reunion.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #75
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
people were shouting for sp songs at his solo gigs before he announced the reunion.

...speaking of people shouting for SP songs >>>

Old 06-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #76
DaveKShape
Ownz

Guys. TFE sold less than 100k total albums or whatever. Who cares.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #77
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
I am a musician btw but just for pleasure
lewd.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #78
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
goddamn jelly blossom is annoying. in two sentences it can be explained why your response was not accurate.

guy pretty much has no point except the overtly obvious "putting out an ad = marketing"

Old 06-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #79
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

this whole thread is so 2017 smashing pumpkins

Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #80
fuzzyroes
Banned

Fact is that SP's mid 90's work is still highly regarded and it's enough to always carry some financial/ touring success for the brand.

I listen to this Stingray app/ TV feature and they have different radio stations and there's one called "Indie Classics" that kicks ass. Pixies, Smiths, Radiohead, Talking Heads, Pavement, Magazine, Morissey ETC... All the critical darlings pretty much and songs from Siamese Dream and MCIS are regularly played.

I guess my point is that SP is never going to fully be "washed-up" in the sense that a band like Live or Everclear are because SP has a chunk of songs that will continuously stand the test of time.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #81
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
goddamn jelly blossom is annoying. in two sentences it can be explained why your response was not accurate.
Dude, is there any reason to attack me long after the fact?

If you have a problem with me then private msg me and we'll talk about in private. If you're too chicken shit to do that then do everybody a favor and shut the fuck up.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #82
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post

guy pretty much has no point except the overtly obvious "putting out an ad = marketing"
And yet when I stated that people wanted to argue with me about it... and I'm considered annoying.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #83
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

dude i don't even care anymore but it's worth examining if you're being unclear when everyone misunderstood you, don't you think?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #84
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
And yet when I stated that people wanted to argue with me about it... and I'm considered annoying.
no one has argued against this. no one thinks you have a point and everyone agrees you're annoying in your pointless debating of nothing in particular.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #85
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
critical darlings
haha

Old 06-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #86
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I guess my point is that SP is never going to fully be "washed-up" in the sense that a band like Live or Everclear are because SP has a chunk of songs that will continuously stand the test of time.
Yep. Listen to SiriusXM's Lithium (90's Alt & Grunge) channel... a lot of the shite on there is from bands who are clearly washed up, like Live or Better than Ezra. The SP stuff stands out.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #87
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

I just thought that D'Arcy is gonna play a solo show in August >>>

http://i.imgur.com/xRUuhaq.png

That information is not correct. They mixed up the name D'Arcy Wretzky with the name of the band "d'arcy".

http://i.imgur.com/tBqt0NW.png

The funny thing is...I went to the Bandcamp page of that band:

https://darcytheband.bandcamp.com/album/body

Listen to their song "Body"...reminds you of a certain song?...LOL.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 AM   #88
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

It's like Nirvana covering Drown

Old 07-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #89
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I wonder if Boz will release his America-themed album on the 4th of July.