Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #211
DrHalscott
Pledge

Either way, whatever, I got it today, played it through my very standard car stereo and it sounded noticeably different (better) than all the web versions we've heard.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #212
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHalscott View Post
About hearing the CD or about how it sounds?
the latter

but i'm just messing with ya, man, i'm sure it does sound better than what's on the internet right now. but if it turns out you're BSing...

Old 11-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #213
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
The mix on the CD sounds significantly better. The vox on One and All are particularly old-school SP sounding in my opinion.

I got the sampler CD today when I pre-ordered at a record store. Anyone else have this, or heard it?

It really does sound much better.

No reason why the web, youtube, stream, whatever version should sound so damn bad but I agree that the mixing on the three songs released so far sounds pretty shitty via the internet.
You should upload it somewhere so we can hear
It's not illegal or anything since the songs are already on youtube. pumpkins camp don't care

Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #214
DrHalscott
Pledge

BS setting at 0%.

How long is this record, like 35 minutes? I think it might actually be pretty good all together. At least it won't be so grating to listen to.

Ugh I really hope this thing doesn't suck.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #215
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Writing is pretty much the only art where it applies though. Well creative art anyway. Not sure about lyricists though. Most of my favorites seem to have done best in their 20s and 30s.
Certainly in the creative arts. Take painting for instance, the great masters just kept building on their knowledge. Still, it can apply to other fields. Graphic designer Paula Scher designed the iconic Citi logo in seconds on a napkin and she famously quipped, "it's a second done in 34 years.”

Popular music lyrics can be a tough one, especially in modern music. I personally don't think it has anything to do with age. I think Leonard Cohen is a great lyricist. But he started off as more of a poet before becoming a singer/songwriter, same with Patti Smith. This is an overused example, but a song like Hallelujah is beautifully written and translates well to song. Good poets and writers take the time to really think about each line and each word that they use (including the overall structure, rhythm, symbolism, and imagery). Strange Fruit is another one that was originally written as a poem and then structured into lyrics, which was then beautifully sung by Billie Holiday.

Billy's change in lyrics is not from a lack of skill, I think, but he has admitted (in an old blog post somewhere) that the criticism he received from his foray into the world of poetry completely changed the way he wrote, he became really self-conscious and struggled with writing lyrics.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #216
DrHalscott
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
It's not illegal or anything since the songs are already on youtube. pumpkins camp don't care
It's in my car man and it's so fucking cold out.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #217
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

the more i listen to tiberius the more i like it, which was the case with both being beige and one and all. tiberius in particular is easy to get into. listening to these three in the context of the album is what interests me most, though. i wanna get my hands on all 9 tracks already

anybody think a 4th track will be released? that would be nearly half the album at that point, so i'm sort of hoping not. i'd like there to be some surprises remaining on december 9th

Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #218
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaroo View Post

Hush my love, don't fight
Never leave here this night
Words pray don't fade
What is love, love old ache
Let flee doves in flight
May we stray from my life
Never leave here softly

I've seen the world upon a thousand dreams
Your eyes are one that can't see what it means
Yet still I love you
Like everything, it goes and goes
It goes and goes
It goes

If you break, believe me
If you take, deceive me
to the sound of one clapping hand
Is your heart so lonely
that your honor's only
As good as can be had on demand

Hush my love, don't fight
Never leave here this night

I've seen the world upon a thousand dreams
Your eyes are one that can't see what it means
Yet still I love you
Like everything, it goes and goes
It goes and goes
It goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaroo View Post
BTW, this song bleeds nicely into Being Beige.

I don't love you
For what it's worth
So if leaving can you [hurt?/pause?]
Cherry blossom this is goodbye
Come here lately and you fly

So two opening songs about leaving, love lost, and a title that mentions elegy. Looks pretty thematic thus far. Not deep.
Burnt Orange-Black was originally in the same pile of songs, and it's quite obviously the same topic

There was a time I've laughed
Was a time I've cried
You didn't want me back
You didn't want me back

While the others burnt black

I'll need either an album booklet with the lyrics, or someone to spell them out for me, though. not sure why, but I'm having more trouble understanding them than usually. Burnt Orange-Black I heard live, and could have sworn it's "let the others turn back"

One and All isn't much different, thematically

I just say when you love him
'Cause you and me we are running
Baby sweet, are we arrest in cuff
I don't save for rainy days

Can't just care what you're doing
Me and you, we're just ruined
Just a cheat for the morning strong
Don't ya mind, if it's me at all

Last edited by pavementtune : 11-19-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #219
DrHalscott
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
HERE

MP3s. Deal with it.

I'm uploading this with the belief that the material contained within is freely available and therefor does not qualify as "unreleased". If I'm wrong then I apologize and mods should just delete it.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #220
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

that was fast

Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #221
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
I'm uploading this with the belief that the material contained within is freely available and therefor does not qualify as "unreleased". If I'm wrong then I apologize and mods should just delete it.
hm, I have no idea to be honest, the reissues were released material, too, but links to torrents and stuff were a no-go.
all three tracks are on SP's youtube channel, and likely a lot of people rip them there so... leave it until someone complains, I guess?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #222
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I'll need either an album booklet with the lyrics, or someone to spell them out for me, though. not sure why, but I'm having more trouble understanding them than usually. Burnt Orange-Black I heard live, and could have sworn it's "let the others turn back"
There's a lot of incomprehensible lines in there, but it seems very personal from the few that do make some sense…which may explain why the lyrics are so incomprehensible at times for these songs. Sometimes being vague and nonsensical is a means to protect oneself. It reminds me of that strange blog post where he talked about the lyrics, claiming that they're not about anyone in particular before we even knew what the lyrics were. He seems to avoid wanting to talk about the lyrics for this album in interviews as well. Very strange.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #223
DrHalscott
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfacedyouth View Post
that was fast
Lemme know whatcha think.

Update: they don't look so great in audacity...

Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #224
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
There's a lot of incomprehensible lines in there, but it seems very personal from the few that do make some sense…which may explain why the lyrics are so incomprehensible at times for these songs. Sometimes being vague and nonsensical is a means to protect oneself. It reminds me of that strange blog post where he talked about the lyrics, claiming that they're not about anyone in particular before we even knew what the lyrics were. He seems to avoid wanting to talk about the lyrics for this album in interviews as well. Very strange.

it's not only that I don't get parts of it, I don't HEAR it correctly, even after listening to one song several times. you mean he's deliberately singing in a way that makes it harder to understand every word?

not so sure if it's not related to one particular person after all (and after that Howard Stern interview, who can blame him for not wanting to go through that topic again), but it would also make sense to me as a midlife summary - troubled relationships, break-ups and heartaches of 20 years mixed together, who knows.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #225
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
it's not only that I don't get parts of it, I don't HEAR it correctly, even after listening to one song several times. you mean he's deliberately singing in a way that makes it harder to understand every word?
Not necessarily. I'm just thinking in contrast to Oceania.

Quote:
not so sure if it's not related to one particular person after all (and after that Howard Stern interview, who can blame him for not wanting to go through that topic again), but it would also make sense to me as a midlife summary - troubled relationships, break-ups and heartaches of 20 years mixed together, who knows.
Could be but, from the bits of lyrics I can comprehend, the themes and tone are so similar in each song. Besides, Billy writing a summary of his troubled relationships isn't like him at all. That's just not how he writes.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #226
pavementtune

it's not how he writes? I can't tell since Zeitgeist "how" he writes. and I can't imagine that one's past doesn't play into how you phrase songs about loss, love and leaving.

anyway, that's going in an over-interpretating direction I don't really enjoy myself. All I was trying to say is, whatever vague things these few songs are about - if they are ABOUT anything at all and not just a word play and "came to him instantly while singing a melody" - they aren't so ridiculous or so extremely vague that I couldn't relate to any of it. After teargarden and most of Oceania, that's a step up in my book.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #227
DrHalscott
Pledge

Tiberius
http://i.imgur.com/H9bT7P6.png

One and All
http://i.imgur.com/VLtBRMW.png

That's gotta be some kind of a joke

Old 11-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #228
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
it's not how he writes? I can't tell since Zeitgeist "how" he writes. and I can't imagine that one's past doesn't play into how you phrase songs about loss, love and leaving.
Zeitgeist was actually quite a personal album, especially the b-sides. It ranged from lost love to his childhood.

I meant that in the sense that he tends to write about immediate things. The title itself points towards some kind of deep loss, something very mournful to him. Writing a mid-life summary of all his relationships strikes me as impersonal, odd and out of character. But you're right, it doesn't matter what it's about, what matters is that there's some deep meaning coming from him, that it means something to him.

Quote:
anyway, that's going in an over-interpretating direction I don't really enjoy myself. All I was trying to say is, whatever vague things these few songs are about - if they are ABOUT anything at all and not just a word play and "came to him instantly while singing a melody" - they aren't so ridiculous or so extremely vague that I couldn't relate to any of it. After teargarden and most of Oceania, that's a step up in my book.
Sorry, that over-interpretation comes from years of classes examining works, literally line by line, and examining the artists life in conjunction to it. Old habits die hard. See I'm the opposite. I don't have to relate to lyrics to like them. I like a good story behind a song, and I don't doubt there is, but what I still have a problem with is the structure and word choice of the lyrics. The style he chose to use isn't a step up from Oceania, for me at least.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #229
Shallowed
Braindead

Is someone going to upload the sampler in flac or what?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #230
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post

Sorry, that over-interpretation comes from years of classes examining works, literally line by line, and examining the artists life in conjunction to it. Old habits die hard.
I didn't mean you, I have the same habit, literature classes messed me up for life. I just meant the corner of his private life these conversations tend to touch - it wouldn't feel right for me to go "well, that part is likely about Jessica because blabla" on netphoria- you know what I mean?

Quote:
but what I still have a problem with is the structure and word choice of the lyrics. The style he chose to use isn't a step up from Oceania, for me at least.
hm. I might just be in the forgive-him-all mood because I like these songs more than I expected, so for whatever reason something is there I connect with, and then my brain just fills in the parts where the actual lyrics aren't very good. I make the song my own story, if that makes sense to you.

but there is one specific part (of several) where my always-criticise-writing self would very much like to kick him in the balls - sarcasm or not, that is just horrible writing

Quote:
I used to be so nice
And there were days that I was cruel

Last edited by pavementtune : 11-19-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: montese

Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #231
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I didn't mean you, I have the same habit, literature classes messed me up for life. I just meant the corner of his private life these conversations tend to touch - it wouldn't feel right for me to go "well, that part is likely about Jessica because blabla" on netphoria- you know what I mean?
I know what you mean. Hell, I didn't even consider Jessica. I prefer to think of it as a mystery. It makes it more interesting that way. Besides, we can never really know what goes on in his life and what he does or who he sees. So it would really just be conjecture at this point.

Quote:
hm. I might just be in the forgive-him-all mood because I like these songs more than I expected, so for whatever reason something is there I connect with, and then my brain just fills in the parts where the actual lyrics aren't very good. I make the song my own story, if that makes sense to you.
No, that's fair. Makes sense. I think I did that for some of the earlier SP songs (like mayo).

Quote:
but there is one specific part (of several) where my always-criticise-writing self would very much like to kick him in the balls - sarcasm of not, that is just horrible writing
Yes. There's just really lazy writing for someone who thinks of himself (or at least used to) as a great writer. He's well read too, so I think he can do better.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #232
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Tiberius

One and All

Fuck...Billy went full Death Magnetic...

Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #233
fuzzyroes
Banned

Man this albums shaping up to be something pretty special. I'm just loving Tiberius. That "goes and goes" hook is classic Corgan and that lead guitar that kicks in during the hook just sounds so epic. Tommy sounds fucking great too.

These last 2 songs are right up there with some of the best Z stuff.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #234
fuzzyroes
Banned

So it begs the question, is Being Beige just the outlier or are these last 2 songs just the clear-cut best songs on the album and the rest of the stuff harkens back to B-B?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #235
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Pee pee poo poo.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #236
DrHalscott
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
So it begs the question, is Being Beige just the outlier or are these last 2 songs just the clear-cut best songs on the album and the rest of the stuff harkens back to B-B?
I'm betting that Being Beige sounds/feels better in the context of the album.

It's track 2 on this sampler CD and it's position there helps it out a lot.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #237
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Even listening to Being Beige with the other two helps it.

The only real issue I have with it is still the dropped vowels and the tinny 808s or whatever the drums are in the quiet section.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #238
terrence
Pledge

Quote:
Tiberius

One and All

All the coolest songs are produced this way, get with the times!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #239
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't get why people bitch about the compression thing anymore. If it's a modern mainstream record, chances are it's going to clip like a bitch.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #240
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I don't get why people bitch about the compression thing anymore. If it's a modern mainstream record, chances are it's going to clip like a bitch.
that's exactly why people complain about it though

just because something's the "status quo" doesn't mean it's not worth railing against

some records just weren't meant to be smashed (npi )