Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #61
Ram27
dumb

I got into the band in like 2012, so this never really happened properly. Everything was already there, BWBW was already boring. I heard Oceania and thought that it was pretty neutered and overpolished compared to the old stuff.

I do remember watching the Metro show from the SD reissue on youtube and hearing Rocket and Geek USA for the first time. That shit seemed revolutionary...the ending of Rocket and the slow part of Geek USA...how could this band be so bombastic but so groovy at the same time?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #62
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

The first song that got me into the pumpkins was teitbite. Specifically the commercial for the soundtrack which they played incessantly on the tv in Australia for some reason... In amongst the various snippets of the musicians contributing to the soundtrack, came the chorus of the song and I remember thinking "wow. That song makes me feel like the batman." So I went out and bought the single.

Then one day soon after that I heard the snarl, "weeee must never be apaaaart." And the rest is history...

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #63
fuzzyroes
Banned

well, it doesn't matter when you got into the band, as long as you got into them.

But after Siamese Dream, you kind of had an idea in your head about how the Smashing Pumpkins are... When they came back with MCIS it was shocking... The bands image was more raw.... Darcy the pretty blonde girl was rocking short blue hair, and Billy the thrift store guy was wearing Silver pants with jet-black hair.... But the sound of the song was totally unexpected.

Once I heard: "heres some new SP" and then BULLET plays.... It was just an epic mind trip

Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #64
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

edit: redundant post after thread merge

Last edited by The exploding boy : 12-21-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #65
X.Y.U.S.A.
Oblivious Virgin

I was 12. My parents wouldn't let me watch MTV. One night, they made a quick run to the grocery store and left me home to vacuum. I remember being angry that I couldn't go and decided to NOT vacuum and watch MTV instead. Somehow, I think I was able to catch the premier of BWBW. I had heard of the Pumpkins from some friends, but never heard anything by them. I just remember being floored..I think I was just standing there, all slack-jawed. I was into Weezer, Greenday, and Offspring at the time....but BWBW just blew it all out of the water. That was it, from then on- I was a complete SP junkie. For Christmas that year, my friend bought me the BWBW 'cassingle.' Wore that shit out.

I'll never forget my dad flipping around the channels and landed on MTV while they were playing 1979. I remember yelling at him to STOP, so I could see yet another video from my new favorite band. Of course, I said something like, "whoa, he shaved his HEAD!" All my dad could say was, "that guy is WEIRD." Years later, he'd be the one to take me to see the first night of the Machina tour...

so...'95.

Last edited by X.Y.U.S.A. : 12-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #66
Bobbyrain
Amish Rake Fighter

1995. I saw Mellon collie in the local record store and thought it looked cool. So I listend to it and remember I thought it was a girl who sang when tonight tonight came on...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #67
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

casual fan since summer 1995, super obsessed since january 2010

my parents played siamese dream all summer. i was almost 3 years old. one of my first memories is hearing "Today" in a car driving through a cornfield on a sunny day. i was still into nsync & britney spears by the time SP1 broke up, but i knew it was a big deal. they were a grown up band (teenager band).

i have a very vivid memory of staring at the cover of rotten apples in tower records and thinking about how epic + sad that image in that context was, without knowing the band deeply... followed billco as a casual observer, remember my dad saying the Zwan record was no good at a little league game (first i heard of zwan), was fully aware of TFE when it came out and how tone deaf and alienating the artwork and the music was, like career suicide. tried to dig into MCIS on its tenth anniversary in 2005, i remember listening to porcelina on an airplane...was excited about the reunion in 2007, got zeitgeist, was not as good as SP1 but i wasn't invested so it was a pretty ok record. casual observer thru the end of 2009. then for whatever reason i dug out MCIS and SD again at the start of 2010 and it's been downhill ever since

Old 12-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #68
quarky
Amish Rake Fighter

When SD came out. I was in a shop, picked it up because it had an interesting cover and thought, "what the hell".

It didn't blow me away (I was more into stuff like Def Leppard, GnR, Kiss, AC/DC etc, but starting to get into more alternative stuff). By the time MCIS rolled around though, I was a convert. I think MCIS was the last album I ever queued to buy (that or One Hot Minute, but I think MCIS was just after).

Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #69
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

In what year did you realise Billy was crazy?

I guess 2000 for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #70
Funky_Gibbon
Pledge

I became a fan in 1996 when I was 17. I'd not really been into music until I was 16 years old so I missed the Pumpkins during the Siamese Dream era, although I think I did see the Today video but it didn't click with me then.

When Tonight, Tonight was released you couldn't watch MTV without see the video. I still wasn't hooked by the Pumpkins but I was now aware of them, which is why I turned over my TV on impulse to watch the MTV Rockumentary about them.

That's where I first heard them playing live, first heard Billy's banshee-like scream and the heavy guitars of Zero. Hooked.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #71
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Early 1996. I was 14, came in just time to be really happy to see them on the Simpsons.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #72
X.Y.U.S.A.
Oblivious Virgin

Yes! I remember being so stoked for that episode. Still have it recorded to vhs tape somewhere.

"I was in the audio-visual club!"

My dad made me a badass animation cell of Simpson Pumpkins with Homer. TREASURE!

Old 12-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #73
The Pump King
Pledge

Siamese Dream was the first album I remember buying in 1994 (I got in on cassette tape). I wore that tape out I played it so often. Rocket was the song that really hooked me.

I mostly skipped the Mellon Collie period mainly because my family was so poor that buying records wasn't even a consideration (although I thought BWBW was awesome). I only became a hardcore fan in 2000 with Machina. This was also the period of Napster, so I downloaded Gish/MCIS/AFH/Adore and was obsessed with all of it. The music connected with me more at 19 than it did at 14 or 15.

But yeah, Machina was what turned me into a hardcore pumpkins fan.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #74
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

2005. downloaded rat in a cage and the killer in me from Limewire and never looked back. Actually a friend asked me to download Farewell and Goodnight and STumbleine for her

Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #75
october
Pledge

'twas the rocket video got me into the pumps. That tune just blew my mind with its heaviness and weirdo guitar leads, I was just learning how to play guitar then so I asked my teacher to tab it for me. I guess that was around 94/95-ish, I got the condom-head spaceman t-shirt shortly afterwards. Cool shirt, wish they still made ones like that.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #76
sandwiches time
Amish Rake Fighter

1995.....A few months before MCIS came out

I heard a couple Siamese Dream songs on the radio and ended up buying the CD. Then when MCIS came out (might have been on the actual release day) I was at my grandma's reading the comics and flipping through the newspaper and they had this huge article about MCIS that took up a few entire pages. I think it was the Chicago Sun-Times.

I then bought MCIS and thought the artwork and booklet were cool, along with the songs obviously. I was lucky enough to have cable and MTV in my room so I would just sit and watch videos all the time and that's how I really discovered the image of the band.

I felt as if they were "my" band since I'm from Chicago. I realized they were more arty than all of the other alternative bands I was just getting into at the time. They really mixed the visual aspect with the music really well. I was the perfect age and was exactly the audience Corgan was speaking to on MCIS, and it felt like the first album that was really aimed for my generation.