Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Cat Power - Anybody seen her live?

So, Cat Power came rolling through San Luis Obispo tonight. I hadn't ever seen her before, have a cursory knowledge of her albums and decided to go for it. All in all, it was good - not great, but good.

She did like 7 rapid fire songs on guitar, hardly spoke a word, didn't really pause between songs. Sat at the piano, more cranking through songs with some intermittent complaining about how she could hear everybody talking in the crowd (yeah, people were talking - but it was by no means loud in there, especially because she was so quiet). Then she got back on the guitar, but it was like she was a different person. The weirdest in-between song banter/mumbling/noises accompanied by guitar noodling. She did a few more strong songs - including the highlight of the night - "Good Woman" - then she mumbled some more, did two more songs and just kind of called it and walked off the stage after singing one song acapella.

Was this par for the course? Anybody else seen her and had similar experiences?

Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I haven't seen her personally but this experience doesn't seem out of the ordinary for her. She doesn't have a good live reputation as far as I'm aware.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Bread Regal
Banned

i'll never figure out why people think it's alright to talk in the middle of a quiet set.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:28 AM   #4
Kahlo

I saw her in Glasgow a decade ago and it was hands down the worst show I've ever seen. Pushed her piano to the extreme back of the stage, then faced the wall. Mumbled incoherently. Didn't chat to the audience (I'm ok with this) - apart from mumbled apologies.

People started walking out due to the poor quality of her singing/playing, and I asked for a refund.

Would never see her again, and have cautioned others that her live set is fucking woeful. Act like a professional you dick.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
TuralyonW3
Immortal

god there's so much more interesting music to listen to

Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I just listened to nude as the news again and I still love it as much as I did when I first heard it. I was so excited about her and then everything else she ever did was bleh. A shame.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I just listened to nude as the news again and I still love it as much as I did when I first heard it. I was so excited about her and then everything else she ever did was bleh. A shame.
Yep, that's a great album. What a boring disappointment her music turned out to be.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I really like you are free.