Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #31
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Her voice is annoying, the affectations only make it worse. Ugh.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
LaBelle
Socialphobic

A whistling balloon would enhance the songwriting in a more meaningful way.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #33
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
just listen to that goddamn southern accent.

i kinda hate to admit he's a good songwriter (or at least, one that knows very well how to use cliches) but this music is just 100% plastic
I heard some of his stuff from my Israeli friends. Did you pick an especially bad song? I remember liking him more than that.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #34
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Bro, do you even play? Like for money?

Old 05-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #35
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
I think its a dude
I know you were being facetious, but I was talking about Joanna Newsome.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #36
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I tried for years to write lyrics and music like the stuff she writes, so I'm impressed with her. It takes a lot of skill and vulnerability to do what she does.

With her voice, her pre surgery voice was nearly unlistenable. I don't often listen to that stuff, especialy Ys. I don't think I've ever actually listened to Ys. I didn't like the string arrangements on it, either. But Have One On Me had much more satisfying arrangements in my opinion, plus her voice was so much easier to listen to.

It's a shame to overlook her, because she is among the most accomplished singer songwriters of our generation, and her name is going to stick in the history books, for the quality of her work.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:27 AM   #37
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

vix can you name like her single most brilliant, flawless song?
i want to give it one more shot

Old 05-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #38
vixnix
Socialphobic

This is the clearest example. The form of the music, and the lyrics, is so clever. And yet it fits together and propels forward so naturally.

And the polyrhythms are just exquisite. Just so tasteful and restrained. She said she felt the polyrhythms in Ys made her tire of them, I remember. She felt they were pretentious, or something - so she held back a bit, on Have One on Me.

Half her genius lies in her lyrics. They're outstanding - I think she is a finer lyricist than anyone in our generation. My notes follow the lyrics.

I found a little plot of land
in the garden of Eden
it was dirt and dirt is all the same

I tilled it with my two hands
and I called it my very own
There was no-one to dispute my claim

Well, you'd be shocked at the state of things
The whole place has just cleared right out
It was hotter than hell, so I laid me by a spring
For a spell, as naked as a trout

The wandering eye that I have caught
Is as hot as a wandering sun
But I will want for nothing more, in my garden
start again, in my hardening to every heart but one

Meet me in the garden of Eden,
Bring a friend, we are going to have ourselves a time
We are going to have a garden party, it's on me
No, sirree, it's my dime

We broke out hearts in the war between
St. George and the dragon
But both, in equal part, are welcome to come along
I'm inviting everyone

Farewell to loves that I have known
Even muddiest waters run
Tell me what is meant by sin, or none, in a garden
Seceded from the union in the year of '81?

The unending amends you've made
Are enough for one life, be done
I believe in innocence, little darling, start again
I believe in everyone

I believe, regardless, I believe in everyone

Every single note she sings is deliberate. To scan her lyrics so thoroughly, and match them with specific notes, takes such dedication. And she must practice a lot, because her execution is outstanding. That second to last high phrase she sings - I be-LIEVE... I have never seen a performance where she misses that, which alone is highly commendable. But on top of that she very rarely misses a note playing harp. There are very few people in the world who could copy what she does. She is literally one in a million. Probably even rarer.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #39
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

ok this marks the first time i got through a joanna gruesome (LOL!OL) song and actually enjoyed it. it was really beautiful. harp is one of the best instruments there are. i wish more people mastered it. it's such an interesting creative tool. almost limitless.

what polyrhythms are you talking about though?
listening to that song, i don't hear any of those. she just starts and stops at odd times (indeed in a very deliberate and inspired way) but her playing is pretty straight on the beat. am i missing something or do you mean other songs?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #40
vixnix
Socialphobic

polyrhythms are where she's playing one rhythm with one hand, and another rhythm with the other.

Pianists do it quite often, too. So unsurprisingly, she often uses them on the piano.

Beethoven utilised them often - for one crotchet beat he would have a triplet in one hand and two quavers for the other. It took me about an hour to work it out, the first time I had to play that. And I had to get really mathematical about it, and slow everything right down.

She uses them quite a lot, and it's pretty amazing to watch her two hands, when you're looking specifically for how each one will be playing a different rhythm.

My favourite polyrhythm of hers is on peach plum pear, and the words for that song are just...I don't know. I keep saying exquisite with her, but I don't know how else to describe her work. But peach plum pear has her old voice, which is pretty hard to listen to.

Here is a video that shows it pretty well:

Check it out at 3:00 .... this took me AAAAAAAAAAGGESS to learn on the piano. Must have driven my husband and kids nuts.

And the lyrics:
We speak in the store
I'm a sensitive bore
You seem markedly more
And I'm oozing suprise

But it's late in the day
And you're well on your way
What was golden went gray
And I'm suddenly shy

And the gathering floozies
Afford to be choosy
And all sneezing darkly
In the dimming divide

And I have read the right book
To interpret your look
You were knocking me down
With the palm of your eye

This was unlike the story
It was written to be
I was riding its back
When it used to ride me

And we were galloping manic
To the mouth of the source
We were swallowing panic
In the face of its force

And I am blue
I am blue and unwell
Made me bolt like a horse

Now it's done
Watch it go
You've changed some
Water runs from the snow

Am I so dear
Do I run rare
You've changed some
Peach, plum, pear
Peach, plum

Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #41
bye june
Ownz

One of my favorites

Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #42
bye june
Ownz

Old 05-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #43
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
One of my favorites

This one is amazing.

I think The Milk-Eyed Mender and Ys are among the best albums of the 2000s. I love them so much. Divers and Have One on Me have some great songs (Go Long being one of them), but I could never get into the albums in quite the same way.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #44
redbreegull

more like joanna NOISOME, amirite?

Old 05-30-2016, 01:22 AM   #45
redbreegull

wait wait wait she's married to Andy Samberg? wtf? like laser cats andy samberg?

more like joanna JEWsome amirite?

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpre...trip=all&w=780

Old 05-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #46
redbreegull

Fiona is Queen, yes. I don't know how similar this music sounds to hers though, at least to my ears.

Back in the day everybody compared her to Regina Spektor

Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #47
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
ok this marks the first time i got through a joanna gruesome (LOL!OL) song and actually enjoyed it.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #48
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
This is pretty neat

Old 05-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #49
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dade View Post
All you guys are fucked.. anything "interesting" you find about this bitch's annoying voice has already been done by artists like Fiona Apple who FAR exceed the talent of this woman hands down..if you disagree then that just means you haven't heard enough Fiona. Case closed.
You seem to have missed the part where Newsom writes exceptional lyrics and weaves them artfully into a complicated harp composition, unlike Fiona Apple, who just bangs out some rudimentary piano noise and then hurrrrs out some tired lyrics about being a complicated young person over the top with little surprise or joy for the listener except the venture drawing to a close some minutes later

Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #50
redbreegull

Angry

hey hey idgaf about anyone's opinions on joanna newsome but you do not talk shit about fiona apple here

Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #51
redbreegull

she wrote this shit when she was a child. fiona apple is actually a fucking prodigy

Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #52
vixnix
Socialphobic

I'm sorry to say this but it's awful. It's everything I said - the high school journal lyrics, and the high school girl fiddling around at the piano.

In my teenage world, at my all-girls high school where just about everyone I knew had some classical training at the piano (and about half, 5+ years), and studied Shakespeare and Alice Walker in English at high school, Fiona Apple was just a serious cringefest Terrible music, terrible words.

It's weird, I have only ever had her recommended to me by guys.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #53
redbreegull

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I'm sorry to say this but it's awful. It's everything I said - the high school journal lyrics, and the high school girl fiddling around at the piano.

In my teenage world, at my all-girls high school where just about everyone I knew had some classical training at the piano (and about half, 5+ years), and studied Shakespeare and Alice Walker in English at high school, Fiona Apple was just a serious cringefest Terrible music, terrible words.

It's weird, I have only ever had her recommended to me by guys.
well I've never met another man who was into Fiona Apple and your opinion is verbal garbage so there

Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #54
cork_soaker
full of longing

jackrabbits

Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #55
cork_soaker
full of longing

love that tune!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #56
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
well I've never met another man who was into Fiona Apple and your opinion is verbal garbage so there
I think you elevate Fapple above Jewsome because she writes sad music and you want to heal her wound with your sex, so there

Old 05-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #57
redbreegull

I would have no idea how to heal the emotional wound of being brutally raped when you are 12, with sex or otherwise. I do think she is a real feminist icon though, to go through what she did and still come out as a strong, extremely talented and uncompromising woman.

I couldn't even get into her second two albums, but Tidal and When the Pawn are absolutely extraordinary. give them another try.

and this is one of the best lyrics of all time

Quote:
He said, "it's all in your head,"
and I said, "So's everything," but he didn't get it

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #58
vixnix
Socialphobic

I suppose the reason Fiona Apple doesn't impress as many people as Jewsom is that little snippets of lyrics, here and there, are easy enough for even the layperson to write. But what elevates that from being ordinary to extraordinary, is being able to tease out an idea into a longer and even more satisfying form, using nuance, elegance and wit.

Here's a similar mood from Jewsom, where she explains things that are in her head - so instead of just describing a two line conversation, she expresses the actual thoughts and feelings that are 'all in her head', in a way that can be comprehended and considered by others. Jewsom just produces more interesting, layered work, especially for people who are over 25.

And, I saw straightaway
that the lay was steep,
but I fell for you, honey,
easy as falling asleep.
And that, right there,
is the course I keep.

And no amount of talking
is going to soften the fall,
but, like after the rain,
step out of the overhang. That's all.
It had a nice ring to it,
when the old opry house rang,
so, with a solemn auld lang
syne, sealed, delivered,
I sang.

And there is hesitation,
and it always remains
(concerning you, me,
and the rest of the gang),
but, in our quiet hour,
I feel I see everything,
and am in love
with the hook
upon which everyone hangs.

And I know you meant
to show the extent
to which you gave a goddang —
you ranged real hot and real cold,
but I'm sold,
I am at home on that range.
And I do hate to fold,
right here, at the top of my game,
when I've been trying
with my whole heart and soul
to stay right here, in the right lane.
But it can make you feel over, and old
(Lord, you know it's a shame),
when I only want for you to pull over,
and hold me,
till I can't remember my own name.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #59
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I suppose the reason Fiona Apple doesn't impress as many people as Jewsom...
ok, apply the brakes. Fiona Apple is like ten times more respected and widely appreciated than Joanna Newsome

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #60
vixnix
Socialphobic

I will give Tidal and When the Pawn another try but it is difficult for me to listen to, as it has that Amanda Palmer-esque sound...the sound of a person who is stumbling into particular key progressions that composers often stumble into and reject, because they're so easy to stumble into and are associated with poor analysis and lack of skill if not first preceded by a demonstrated ability to work within the confines of traditional western music forms....so any trained musician would feel embarrassed to present that kind of work, but laypeople tend to misinterpret it as being "individual" "alternative" "unique" "new", etc., and the type of musician who would be willing to put that kind of musical composition on display could only be badly educated and trained, so then there's a situation where a badly trained musician writes music that is avoided by the establishment as being embarrassing, and people raised within the establishment are told it's 'boundary pushing' music by people who have never had to spend time practicing their A flat minor arpeggios.

I have been playing piano and writing music for most of my life, and it just grates on me as artistic sloth.