Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #181
Order 66
Socialphobic

i hooked up with a girl at my friends church band thing

Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #182
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
vixnix is a christian who rejects the vast majority of the basic tenets of christianity
Can you please not talk about it, it really upsets me

Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #183
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

is it because you're living a lie and you're a godless atheist like the rest of us

Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #184
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

She can't be serious. What would be upsetting about a simple mentioning of her religion?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #185
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Sometimes. Sometimes it's because I'm unable to communicate everything I think and feel about all of it. It's a very unfamiliar and unpleasant feeling.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #186
vixnix
Socialphobic

It's not mentioning Christianity that upsets me. It's talking about what is required or what it means to be a Christian.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #187
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Why should you care? It's your private, personal faith, whatever anyone thinks is "required" - it's yours.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #188
vixnix
Socialphobic

I guess it reminds of how nobody ever listens to what I say about religion or Christianity and how a lot of people think they understand it but i feel like they don't and I really wish they did because it's an aspect of life I would really love to share with more people (share as in, be a part of with, not as in, revealing the truth to people) and how there's no way to tell them that, that i know of. I don't know. It reminds me if how lonely I am in my faith, I guess.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #189
vixnix
Socialphobic

I can't bring myself to draw another bath in this dry country so now I'm drinking large cups of tea instead.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #190
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Sometimes. Sometimes it's because I'm unable to communicate everything I think and feel about all of it. It's a very unfamiliar and unpleasant feeling.
it's because the rational part of your mind knows it's all mularkey

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #191
vixnix
Socialphobic

DO YOU WANT ME TO BE FAT FOREVER TROTSKY

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #192
vixnix
Socialphobic

Stop giving me feelings to eat

Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #193
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
Why would anyone want to be a Christian?
christmas

Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #194
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

vixnix are you a jehovah's witness

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #195
vixnix
Socialphobic

No, I'm in the Uniting Church of Australia. It's the product of the merging of the Methodists and Presbyterians in Australia. My family is Presby on one side and London Missionary Society on the other. I was actually baptized into the Anglican church in New Zealand but the Sydney diocese is too fundamentalist for me so we joined the Uniting church here instead.

Christmas is a great reason to be a church goer. This year I'm playing organ at the midnight service at our new church and then playing piano at our old church on Christmas morning, it's going to be a real experience. Easter is amazing too.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #196
Trotskilicious
Banned

the invisible sky man him tell us what do

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #197
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'll be playing with my organ this christmas as well

Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #198
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

what the hell can those denominational divisions really mean if they can split and reunite and rename and do whatever they like and you and your family just pick what's most convenient or something. protestantism

Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #199
vixnix
Socialphobic

You know what I'm making now? Self saucing chocolate pudding. Maybe I can mix in a few tears for good measure.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #200
vixnix
Socialphobic

Everybody's different, it's good to be able to choose a church where you feel like you're coming close to God and where you and you get along with the other church goers.

But ultimately what all the splitting and renaming and reuniting has meant is that people think we're a bunch of clueless idiots. Which is true, and mostly we are aware of that. But we were kinda hoping people might stick around anyway just for interest's sake but it turns out nobody us interested in thinking about values or God on a Sunday morning and thinking about stuff and singing and having a cup of tea afterwards. So in a couple of generations we just won't exist anymore.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #201
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

shouldn't you choose a church based on what is true / what you believe in? otherwise naturally it's just another hobby.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #202
vixnix
Socialphobic

I did. Truth and belief are complicated things to me so I chose a church that encourages questioning and accepts doubt.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #203
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

that's not what those divisions are based on though. anglicans, presbyterians and methodists are different in ways that most people don't know or even care about today. which seems weird to me, if you really take your religion seriously.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #204
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

i'm christian but whatever, hindus probably have a better grip on metaphysics than christians and for all i know there are a bunch of gods.

but you know, pretty sure none of them would be okay with annexing people's land and killing innocent civilians which is what this thread is supposed to be about, right guys?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #205
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksure View Post
that's not what those divisions are based on though. anglicans, presbyterians and methodists are different in ways that most people don't know or even care about today. which seems weird to me, if you really take your religion seriously.
depends if you're IRA

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #206
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Blair View Post
but you know, pretty sure none of them would be okay with annexing people's land and killing innocent civilians which is what this thread is supposed to be about, right guys?
i'm getting really into th iliad these days and... naaah

Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #207
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

the iliad is awesome. i love it. read zachary mason's 'the lost books of the odyssey' by the way, if you like this stuff. it's really good.

anyway, i'm not going to extend my belief to a totally amoral pantheon of gods, but maybe something close.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #208
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Blair View Post
i'm christian but whatever, hindus probably have a better grip on metaphysics than christians and for all i know there are a bunch of gods.
lol what u r blasphemer

Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #209
Eric Blair
Apocalyptic Poster

you would be surprised with what you can get away with. anyway, there aren't really any hard and fast rules for being a christian in general beyond accepting the beautitudes, that some sort of god does exist and that christ was all about that shit and that he did die for us.

honestly couldn't care less if a christian wants to throw like another 70 gods and reincarnation in there.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #210
hnibos
Braindead

Christ died for our sins.