Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide View Post
I know that medication is abused too often in this country. I find nothing wrong with it when the proper steps are taken. It is scary knowing there are general practitioners that will write a perscription simply because someone walks in and says they think they're bipolar. Just because I don't have issues myself does not mean I don't know anything about the topic. When your family and close friends deal with problems, you're a bit clued in on what's going on.
I'm simply saying you don't need to jump to medication as the first step.
I don't believe ANY psych meds should be given out by PCPs except (possibly) emergency once-in-a-while benzodiazepines

Juvenile Bipolar is definitely a thing, and one that needs meds most likely if it is effecting your life (rottenugly) - but only a psychiatrist or psychologist should be diagnosing and treating any mental or emotional issues. Especially in kids, teenagers and young adults.

So go see a therapist, tell them what's going on and see if they recommend meds, therapy, or both. Also things like dietary choices should be looked into, you should also get a check up and some routine blood tests done to check for other things causing depression (like hypothyroidism).

Feel better dude

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #32
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Is it like cool to be depressed or something? God damn, sounds like everybody who's had a bad day is depressed now.
No

Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #33
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzah View Post
what could a 14 year old possibly be depressed about.
yeah cause depression is always reasonable and logical and only because of bad things in your life

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #34
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Not everyone needs medication to solve their problems, but if you are going down that route, you sure as hell don't need to start popping pills with out having done in depth research as to what is best for yourself.
I know you're not really hating but unless you're psychotic (and even then) medication doesn't solve any of your problems. It just makes it easier to deal with the problems, you know maybe to close to a normal level, instead of everything being fucking impossible because you have no energy at all and constantly thinking of suicide or whatever the out of control symptom may be...

At least for us neurotics - therapy is the real treatment.

BTW just because we're on this topic, I just got back from my psychiatrist and my meds have been stable now for about five months which I never ever thought would happen. I was pretty much a hopeless case to many people... probably still am... but things can totally get better and I appreciate that I feel better than I used to even if I have a ways to go to 'mild/no symptoms'

And I have other mental issues but whatever my mood is better and I appreciate it

So um, I guess I'm a good case of medication working? So far? But I still advise much caution.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
fuck you banana, i hope agenda suicide and charmbag are proud for supporting this humongous piece of shit.
I don't get it. when did you get so thin-skinned?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

u got to face reality bro and start thinking differently also i know of this alternative ointment that works great for depression

Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #37
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Hey sup y'all. Depression and Generalised Anxiety Disorder over here. I take drugs for neither, but I do a heal of therapy for both. Sure isn't the easiest way to treat it bur my experiences with friends coming off their meds was enough to scare me off. Physical exercise and a balanced diet are doing me huge favours though.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Is this a support group or a circle jerk?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

everybody has problems - why focus on yours?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #40
rottenugly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
i'm just trying to help the guy. if you want him to continue to live in pain, that's your trip man.
>Trying to help.

Yes, because insulting me for the past few days is trying to "help", you've done nothing but made my day a living hell because you think it's funny to make people feel like shit for your own personal gain.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #41
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

:'(

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #42
Shallowed
Braindead

I don't know? Maybe? If I feel shitty and "depressed", it's usually for a reason. If it's chronic, then it's probably just a long string of shitty things that are or aren't happening that make me feel that way.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #43
rottenugly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
everybody has problems - why focus on yours?
I made this thread so I can hear about everyone's storiez about depression and how they somehow recovered from depression, I had depression when i was 9-12 because my brother would constantly verbally and emotionally abuse me to the point where I had to move down to a basement to sleep, where I am still sleeping.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #44
Shallowed
Braindead

Your brother doesn't sound very nice.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #45
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

I rejected depression years ago and have been fine ever since.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #46
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
I know that medication is abused too often in this country.
How do you know that?

Quote:
It is scary knowing there are general practitioners that will write a perscription simply because someone walks in and says they think they're bipolar.
The only reason you'd think that is because you have no concept of what bipolar disorder is.

Quote:
Just because I don't have issues myself does not mean I don't know anything about the topic.
I dunno it kind of seems like you're operating from the stance of someone who thinks an individual has full control over their consciousness, which isn't even true for mentally "healthy" people.

Quote:
I'm simply saying you don't need to jump to medication as the first step.
If you have a true neurological disorder then medication is a very important component to help regulate your brain chemistry. If you're sad because something bad happened to you, you don't need prozac.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #47
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
boy this is the dumbest fucking thing you've said this week
you can't possibly think i was being serious.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #48
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
I don't know? Maybe? If I feel shitty and "depressed", it's usually for a reason. If it's chronic, then it's probably just a long string of shitty things that are or aren't happening that make me feel that way.
congratulations you're normal

Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #49
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzah View Post
you can't possibly think i was being serious.
oh i absolutely do

i mean since you're the one lecturing people about how even jokes & irony are harmful

Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #50
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
I made this thread so I can hear about everyone's storiez about depression and how they somehow recovered from depression, I had depression when i was 9-12 because my brother would constantly verbally and emotionally abuse me to the point where I had to move down to a basement to sleep, where I am still sleeping.
by the way guys i'm betting 20 bucks this is order 66

Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #51
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
>Trying to help.

Yes, because insulting me for the past few days is trying to "help", you've done nothing but made my day a living hell because you think it's funny to make people feel like shit for your own personal gain.
i'm coaching you into becoming a man.

Last edited by dean_r_koontz : 10-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #52
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

my personal advice to rottenugly would be to speak with a LMHC or therapist or psychologist. cognitive behavioral therapy is going to be the path of most resistance in dealing with your problem, but in my humble opinion, you should get with them to assess exactly how hard it will be. they will help you contextualize your problem and help you identify triggers in your life, if any, that instigate your episodes.

and by the way i've been struggling with depression since i was in the single digits. i've been on and off prozac and zoloft. i'm currently giving welbutrin a whirl.

and natalie is totally correct in saying that GP's will often prescribe these things without questioning it. to get on the welbutrin all i had to say was "this lmhc said i probably have disthymia and he said that welbutrin wouldn't affect my sex drive". and then she gave me a scrip for 150mg daily.

on the followup visit i let her know that my depressive episodes had been greatly alleviated but i was also having more trouble staving off anxiety attacks. she then doubled the welbutrin dosage and wrote a script for thirty 1-mg xanax pills to take "as needed". sort of scary actually.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #53
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
and natalie is totally correct in saying that GP's will often prescribe these things without questioning it. to get on the welbutrin all i had to say was "this lmhc said i probably have disthymia and he said that welbutrin wouldn't affect my sex drive". and then she gave me a scrip for 150mg daily.
Yeah it's because these doctors have things called "charts" so you don't have to continually get re-diagnosed.

Quote:
on the followup visit i let her know that my depressive episodes had been greatly alleviated but i was also having more trouble staving off anxiety attacks. she then doubled the welbutrin dosage and wrote a script for thirty 1-mg xanax pills to take "as needed". sort of scary actually.
Not at all. Small doses of xanax are very popular for periodic anxiety treatment. I have them so I can sleep at night when I'm feeling anxious. I've taken one in two months. Yet again, one man's personal universe is the golden standard for all of reality and you just assume that the only time the doctor ever even considers your case is when you're in the office telling them things. Right. They keep notes just for the fuck of it.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #54
bahnzah
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
How do you know that?
probably because abuse exists and any amount of it is too much?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #55
Trotskilicious
Banned

First of all, that point is unverifiable and generally the result of popular culture's war on medication. The concept that the individual is wholly in control of their brain and facilities is important for the neo-conservative, social darwinistic model and when something comes along to challenge that, like psychotherapy and brain science, the impulse for the powers-that-be is to squash it by creating a feeling of shame in people for taking pills. Consider all the television shows, music, and movies that have a specifically anti-psychotherapy stance, the popular wisdom that "you can be ok if you try hard enough, loser." It's not true and that crap led me to lose a lot of my youth to depression and self-loathing. I feel good now and I'm on prozac and I've decided to be a crusader for this subject, because people act like they know everything about it when they are entirely operating on the basis of personal experience and popular idiom and have absolutely zero factual claims to back it up.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #56
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

high on fucken prozac man.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #57
Trotskilicious
Banned

completely and holy shit does it ever give me the dire rear

Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #58
Eulogy
huh

...you think there is a giant movement afoot by conservatives to deprive the pharmaceutical companies of revenue.....?

i don't know shit about shit here when it comes to the technical/medical aspects of all this but that doesn't sound right at all.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #59
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

eulogys dick just turned into a tree.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #60
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
...you think there is a giant movement afoot by conservatives to deprive the pharmaceutical companies of revenue.....?
no, i think the capitalist powers-that-be determine cultural values, it's a pretty basic communist concept

it's not a deliberate conspiracy theory, it's more of a general collective direction of culture by the means of production. They have the money and they determine how you get it.

they also own every single media outlet and control the government which determines the indoctrination/propaganda that is used in our public schools