Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Default Monuments is better than Zeitgeist or Oceania

much better. The only redeeming aspect of Zeitgeist was Jimmy, and he's buried in the shit ass mix.

Monuments just piles on the catchy hooks and is pretty varied in style... Tiberius is the best song he's made in a very very long time. One and All sounds like a MCIS era B-side. I don't love the whole thing, but I love 40% of it, which is more than I can say about anything since Machina. Only real beef is the lyrics

idk I mean it's not MCIS, but really what the fuck are you expecting at this point?

Last edited by killtrocity : 12-03-2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: lowered percentage

Old 12-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

I agree, and I'd also add its short length to the list of reasons why it's better. I liked Oceania and all, but it overstays its welcome, and I never bother to listen to it because of that.

TbK vol 1 and 2 also might have been improved by putting them together instead of spreading the releases so thinly. And then the entire TbK project would make a lot more sense instead of something that's entirely been made up as it goes along.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Cholera is better than AIDS or Ebola

Old 12-03-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Implosion
Demi-God

Wait a while until the novelty of the new album fades. No way will this opinion prevail.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
Order 66
Socialphobic

it seems to be the fulcrum where he finally let go of pretenses about what a "smashing pumpkins" album is supposed to be (even though zeitgeist and oceania deserve credit for shaking things up in places.) so for that reason i think it'll be looked back on more fondly

though they're very different it reminds me a lot of TFE, which was a very personal album without the weight of the brand anchoring him down. likewise monuments is a take on music he listened to growing up. i think it's about a much simpler and innocent time in his life

Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

yeah the good stuff just feels honest, has interweaving melodies like the old stuff... but god, the lyrics just kill the potential on some of the songs (feel alright tonight, I love a girl like you or whatever the fuck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implosion View Post
Wait a while until the novelty of the new album fades. No way will this opinion prevail.
No way... there are 3-4 songs on this one that are legit. Oceania has maybe 2. Zeitgeist, I don't even know... have to be in the right mood, doesn't really go anywhere. And even then, I'm trying to block out the abhorrent vocals and listen to jimmy jam do his thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
thedeadofnight
Ownz

I thought the same about Oceania when it first came out.....haven't listened to it in over a year

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
Stinstrom3
Pledge

From the music side of it I think it is without question better than Zeitgeist and Oceania. Hell Dorian alone musically is one of the best songs I think he has written. As unpopular of an opinion as that may be.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

some of the songs are great, probably at least 6 out of the 9, actually, but i feel like it was much more enjoyable listening to these on their own before the album even came out than it is to listen to the whole thing in a proposed album casing or whatever

the sugar factor of it all as a whole album though just becomes overwhelming, especially around the run2me-dorian mark/run of tracks

Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

this was unquestionably designed as a sampler pack to hopefully offer something which might be injected into mainstream radio play

but honestly the batting average is just higher amongst this bunch

Old 12-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinstrom3 View Post
From the music side of it I think it is without question better than Zeitgeist and Oceania. Hell Dorian alone musically is one of the best songs I think he has written. As unpopular of an opinion as that may be.
I agree about Dorian. I was surprised with it. I got a sorta Here's to the Atom Bomb mixed with TFE vibe, really cool

Old 12-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #12
Stinstrom3
Pledge

I will say I really want to read the lyrics for all the songs. I can only truthfully understand the chorus on the songs and very little in the verses. There may be some good lines of lyrics in the verses that we haven't heard?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
this was unquestionably designed as a sampler pack to hopefully offer something which might be injected into mainstream radio play

right, a song like "monuments" just doesn't quite hit as hard comin after two other synth-heavy tracks for me though

the "pumpkins hangup" thing that was mentioned earlier in this thread might have actually filled the thing in a bit more, some rock epic or whatever coming between drum + fife and monu might have actually made it the clear-cut best album since machina ii

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #14
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

good tunes tho

for sure

Old 12-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #15
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

yeah this is true, and it's weird cause SP has always been such an "album band". Zeitgeist seems like it was kinda thrown together too but at least has a consistent sound to make it fit. This one really does feel like a long EP. So it has to be judged a bit differently than something like Oceania which was designed to take the listener on a journey. Or at least that's what Shaman Durek told me.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #16
Bread Regal
Banned

yeah, the album is full of hooks and while some of them really fail, at least he's trying.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #17
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeitgeist > Monuments > Oceania

Zeitgeist is harder and more Pumpkins sounding than Monuments and Oceania combined.
If only Jimmy would come back to drum in the studio things would be so much better... just give us that.
Of course, if he toured that would be amazing... but just get him in the studio at least and all will be well in the world.
If Jimmy was on Monuments album, then maybe it would be better than Zeitgest... he would have definitely added an edge and give helped give the album a more unhinged quality instead of this rigid and safe version of SP we have today.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 12-03-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #18
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

these songs are soooooo not jimmy... there's this RHCP style swagger going on. Oceania he could have tremendously helped, but this one would not even exist were he in the picture

Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #19
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

"RHCP style swagger" is pretty generous. Sounds like wall-eyed Tommy Lee struggling to find the groove in corgan's anemic 2014 riffs. Chad Smith woulda fucked the shit outta those songs.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #20
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Zeitgeist > Monuments > Oceania
I agree.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #21
pumpkins
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Implosion View Post
Totally agree.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I disagree to agree about agreeing

Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

let's agree to disagree, house of disagreements

Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

the thing thats much better about Zeitgeist is that Billy actually had a lot to say on it. It was a spirited , ambitious effort. You can tell there was passion put into it.

Theres some great songs on this album, but I kinda get the vibe that Billys hearts not into it

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm just listening to Zeitgeist for the first time in awhile right now and I still don't understand why it generated the response it did. Sure the vocals are a little dry, but it's still a pretty fucking cool album.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #26
s0ss
Demi-God

I'm sure this has no staying power - but I can't even get through Oceania. I give up by the middle and that's with me skipping that first shitty track.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

it's a good solo follow-up to TF

not that it's similar in style. but that it's obviously something that he was into and did well, and he isn't trying to force it into what SP is supposed to be. like or dislike the songs, he did a good job with them. Unlike Zeitgeist which sounds like the last gasp of grunge billy

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 12-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

It feels to me like THIS is what he should have done in 2009 instead of TBK

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's better than Oceania and the first wave of Teargarden songs (or whatever Billy wants to call those)
but it's way worse than anything on American Gothic and Zeitgeist.

Last edited by LaBelle : 12-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #30
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

There's an decent album buried somewhere in Zeitgeist's shit production. When he gets around to reissuing and reworking that, I'm hoping it can be saved a little.

The album's got more punch than Oceania, but I find it just as disappointing for different reasons.

It's an improvement over most of the initial round of TBK output, I'll give it that.