Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

tra la la, la la

Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #32
slunken
Virgo

sooo madddd

Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

lets bro it out, hug

Old 07-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #34
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

For the record, I've baked a lot of shit from scratch, so there are differences between cupcakes and muffins, and frosting and icing. However, I'd say that the difference between frosting and icing is more different than between cupcakes and muffins - sometimes.

Muffins are more akin to type of quick bread whereas cupcake batter often really is basically no different than cake batter in most cases. It's really the chemistry of ingredients ratios that creates the major differences, in addition to the fact that people tend to use a wider variety of flours/grains in muffin making. Cupcakes have more sugar content in the batter compared to any other ingredient, and I'd say are closer to an angel food cake in particular (light, fluffy, not savory due to less fat content/less egg yolk than some other types of cake.) Also one might choose to use cake flour for a cupcake (this type of flour if finer/has less gluten content in order to maximize fluffiness.) Muffins are generally a little more dense and savory and have more full egg content.

Also, basically frostings have a more equal ratio of fat to sugar whereas icings are predominantly sugar, and frosting is typically not cooked but whipped up with a lot of air content whereas many icings are cooked/melted and less fragile generally. They also may be quite viscous at room temperature owing to these properties.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #35
slunken
Virgo

Arrow

dude you're just going to get me yelled at again and/or increase the resentment

Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #36
slunken
Virgo

can you call billys cupcake shop and see if they are still open my phone died

Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #37
slunken
Virgo

dang dude i want this place to succeed

Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
"Sorry, I had all the cupcakes for dinner, but you can order some frosting from Monty."
you mean he ate all the cupcakes for a pre-dinner afternoon snack tide-me-over

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #39
Adult Head
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
dang dude i want this place to succeed
i'm sure they will let you take some cupcakes out the damn door if that's what you really want

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #40
Adult Head
Ownz

it's not like these cupcakes are on par with everlasting gobstoppers or some shit

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #41
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Muffin Paine
Cherub Cupcake
Muffinbelly
Muffins+Cupcakes
The Everlasting Muffin

Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

It may seem strange, but you really can just walk in there and order some tea and a muffin. After you pay for it, they will make the tea for you and put it in a to go cup. Then you can leave the shop with your purchases and consume them wherever you like.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
opera de nuit
Demi-God

can we change the thread title to fuck you (an ode to frosting)?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by opera de nuit View Post
can we change the thread title to fuck you (an ode to frosting)?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #45
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Cupcake de Locke

Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #46
vajohna
Ownz

White Jell-o Pudding Snack skins in a homage to Billy's tum-tum.

Last edited by vajohna : 07-17-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #47
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
It may seem strange, but you really can just walk in there and order some tea and a muffin. After you pay for it, they will make the tea for you and put it in a to go cup. Then you can leave the shop with your purchases and consume them wherever you like.
Will they take food stamps?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #48
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Will they take food stamps?
Unfortunately, in the State of Illinois, the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits can not be used at restaurants or to purchase ready to eat foods.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #49
opera de nuit
Demi-God

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the State of Illinois, the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits can not be used at restaurants or to purchase ready to eat foods.
and this song was written as a response:

Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #50
slunken
Virgo

(If I could)

OMG it is beginnin to make sense

Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #51
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
UNFORTUNATELY? Christ. Do we really need dipshits spending their entire EBT balance for the month on a couple of meals at a restaurant? To me, that, or ready made meals, or even purchasing candy bars with an EBT is abuse of a system designed only to help with absolute essential needs. Those are all either a) junk, or b) value added items, as in you are paying extra for the cost of labor/service in addition to the food itself. For the record, I don't think people get quite enough in benefits...but I think that what it can be used for should be more tightly managed also.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #52
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
UNFORTUNATELY? Christ. Do we really need dipshits spending their entire EBT balance for the month on a couple of meals at a restaurant? To me, that, or ready made meals, or even purchasing candy bars with an EBT is abuse of a system designed only to help with absolute essential needs. Those are all either a) junk, or b) value added items, as in you are paying extra for the cost of labor/service in addition to the food itself. For the record, I don't think people get quite enough in benefits...but I think that what it can be used for should be more tightly managed also.
I think this is far more on the shoulders of the people who decide what EBT can be used for than the people actually spending EBT

Old 07-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #53
Kreatorkind
Demi-God

Quote:
I meant "unfortunately" in the sense that the person asking the question would be disappointed. My comment does not necessarily reflect the values of Netphoria or it's parent company. I hereby apologize for any inconvenience or stress my comment may have caused. Have a good day.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #54
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I meant "unfortunately" in the sense that the person asking the question would be disappointed. My comment does certainly reflect the values of the O-board or it's parent company. I hereby apologize for any inconvenience or stress my comment may have caused. Have a good day.
fixed

Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I've never seen or heard of anyone using their food stamp card at a restaurant.. From what I understand, it can only be used for 'cold' food (groceries etc).. No tobacco, alcohol, or stuff like that... It fuckin irritates the shit out of me when I'm standing in line paying for groceries with cash (not even $150) and having some ghetto bitch behing me asking me to "trade" for her food stamps and looking at me like I'M an idiot for paying cash to feed my family.. I'm not too proud, nor do I look down on people who use it..but like you said, it should be used for essentials and not just some handout for people to trade for real cash for, or waste on shit food that isn't healthy for their kids..
The problem with regulating exactly what people on food stamps can buy is really complicated. Soda isn't healthy - but are juices like apple juice much better? Is organic "too good" for people on food stamps? Lobster seems excessive, but how about fresh fish in general? Or any fresh meat for that matter (frozen would be cheaper)? Is single serve anything okay? Where is the line for all of this?

There is also the little matter of how grocery stores totally rely on food stamps to stay open. And many of them "cheat" a little with the cold food thing. You aren't supposed to be able to buy anything ready-made, but in reality you can buy it if it's not hot, so stores use those loopholes all the time.

Yes obviously people shouldn't abuse it like you say with trading it for cash or doing things like returning food for cash or store credit to buy cigs or alcohol.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #56
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
oh shut the fuck up

Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #57
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
See my last post but also:

Should someone not be able to buy a sandwich at Subway when they can buy the same thing at a grocery store with SNAP/EBT? What if they work two jobs and one night need to grab something quick for their kids, should they not be able to stop and get something really quick like any other human being on earth? "Ready made meals" - what about things like a can of chili, or a fresh fruit salad (after all you can buy canned for less), who needs real deli meat AMIRITE just get some $1 Oscar Meyer Bologna and grab some Ramen Noodles and have a heart attack at 45.

Stores work around it - they need that EBT money. People buy the cold rotisserie chicken and microwave it instead of the hot one - who does that help? Who the fuck cares? They can buy a cold sub but can't get it heated up. They can buy cold mac and cheese.

You might not agree with what other people buy, but they idea that you can decide what people "deserve" to eat is pretty asinine. People who begrudge people their food stamps need to take a look at their priorities, IMO.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #58
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
who needs real deli meat AMIRITE just get some $1 Oscar Meyer Bologna and grab some Ramen Noodles and have a heart attack at 45.
it's their fault they are poor but i'm not selfish just wanting them to get essentials. water and food paste thats it. if they want something good they should work harder like the rest of us.

i don't want them to like, enjoy what they eat or anything i mean they're lucky to be alive i work very very hard at my cubicle to afford my xbox and they just sponge off my .004 cents that goes to welfare. i think there should be justice and no snickers bars for children of poor people.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #59
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean obviously if you make being poor a luxury then everyone would want to be poor and that's what we're doing now. it's so easy to be poor and so HARD to work in my cube

Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #60
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
See my last post but also:

Should someone not be able to buy a sandwich at Subway when they can buy the same thing at a grocery store with SNAP/EBT? What if they work two jobs and one night need to grab something quick for their kids, should they not be able to stop and get something really quick like any other human being on earth? "Ready made meals" - what about things like a can of chili, or a fresh fruit salad (after all you can buy canned for less), who needs real deli meat AMIRITE just get some $1 Oscar Meyer Bologna and grab some Ramen Noodles and have a heart attack at 45.

Stores work around it - they need that EBT money. People buy the cold rotisserie chicken and microwave it instead of the hot one - who does that help? Who the fuck cares? They can buy a cold sub but can't get it heated up. They can buy cold mac and cheese.
No, they shouldn't be able to use SNAP/EBT at any quick service restaurant, nor for the equivalent premium priced products at the grocery store. (And it's pretty easy to determine this in Texas - any food item that is taxed is ostensibly the exact kind of item I am talking about that shouldn't be eligible for food stamps use.) I never go out to eat myself nor do I buy these pre-made labor cost added products at the grocery store as they are sold at a premium markup and I need to watch every penny. I don't even consider going out to eat. There's a difference between "good" items and "luxury" items - for less cost than the ready made items from the deli counter, a person could buy equivalent grocery items, even the pre-packaged ones which simply require unfreezing/heating, for less. You can buy quality pre-seasoned pieces of meat/seafood, vegetable sides, etc. that really just need to be heated if you truly don't even know how to boil a pot of water or cut up and season things yourself. Frozen vegetables are extremely nutritious, quite cheap, and only need to be microwaved and seasoned to taste (assuming you did not get the preseasoned ones.) Beans, potatoes, and corn are cheap as hell and simple to cook, too. Cook in bulk and save/freeze left overs for later use if you want to save time. I AM very concerned that everyone has access to quality food, which is why I think people are not given enough money to spend on it. The current allowance is a bit of a joke. However, if we provide the money I think we do have some say-so as to what it can and cannot be spent on insofar as value for price AND health benefit. Clearly something is fucked up both allowance wise and incentive wise when they feel the best use of their relatively limited EBT balance is to buy a palette of Ramen and half a dozen 2 liter sodas. I see this (or the equivalent) ALL the time. The current system incentivizes this type of purchase logic which keeps people alive but NOT healthy.

Last edited by stumpycat : 07-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.