Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #61
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
at least post something that has some substance to it. two quickies:

Gee, I forgot that the Democrats have been in control of Congress for a while now. So did the author!!!!!
Gee, I forgot that, prior to 2006, the Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years...and by then the damage was pretty much done. Compared to that, 2 years isn't that long.

Quote:
.... it's ok to point out what's wrong with a certain course of action without proposing one.
You'll gain a lot more credibility with people if you do more than scream "This is wrong! We have to find another way!" Especially if you're from the side that largely put the country in this mess in the first place.

I'm not a fan of what's happening, but I have yet to see any viable alternatives proposed. Unless you've got one, shut the fuck up, all you're doing is complaining to hear yourself complain. Besides, it's only been two months. Things won't get better overnight.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 AM   #62
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

When someone's solution to fixing a fire is to throw gasoline on it, you bet I can complain. Saying this happened because of Republicans is stupid and shortsighted.

Also what about the viable alternative of letting businesses who ran themselves into failure... fail?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #63
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
For now at least, GOP stands for "Got 0 Plans."
but its not a 0...

Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #64
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to anyone else right

Is that something to be proud of?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #65
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post

Nimrod thinks it is. It is a pretty rampant attitude in the United States.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #66
Nimrod's Son

Quote:

You need to look up the definition of the word "obligation."

Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

Main Entry:
1ob·li·gate Listen to the pronunciation of 1obligate
Pronunciation:
\ˈä-blə-ˌgāt\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
ob·li·gat·ed; ob·li·gat·ing
Etymology:
Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare
Date:

1 : to bind legally or morally : constrain 2 : to commit (as funds) to meet an obligation

so...

Unless you don't pay rent, then I guess you are obligated to someone. Among other things, of course. Work, for example.

again, is this something to be proud of? not morally bound to anyone? Must be really lonely. Although I would say you are obligated to take care of your dog...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #68
Trotskilicious
Banned

p.s. you need to shut up

Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #69
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Main Entry:
1ob·li·gate Listen to the pronunciation of 1obligate
Pronunciation:
\ˈä-blə-ˌgāt\
Function:
transitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
ob·li·gat·ed; ob·li·gat·ing
Etymology:
Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare
Date:

1 : to bind legally or morally : constrain 2 : to commit (as funds) to meet an obligation

so...

Unless you don't pay rent, then I guess you are obligated to someone. Among other things, of course. Work, for example.

again, is this something to be proud of? not morally bound to anyone? Must be really lonely. Although I would say you are obligated to take care of your dog...
.. are you kidding me? I pay rent out of selfish needs, not because I'm "obligated to someone else." Bills I pay - and fwiw, choose to pay, are not at all what we're talking about here. Christ, just go back to whatever it was you were doing when you left for six months

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #70
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Fuck people, read Animal Farm.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #71
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Fuck people, read Animal Farm.
hahahahahaha

Old 04-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #72
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

I'm too busy with Catcher in the Rye and The Red Badge of Courage.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
.. are you kidding me? I pay rent out of selfish needs, not because I'm "obligated to someone else." Bills I pay - and fwiw, choose to pay, are not at all what we're talking about here. Christ, just go back to whatever it was you were doing when you left for six months
you're legally obligated to honor the rent contract

this "selfish" crap is just a way to spin things to suit your own dogma. you can go ahead and pretend you aren't obligated to do anything, you "choose" to do it but any rational, sensible person with half a brain would realize that's such a tremendous load of shit. Are you not obligated to your family in any way? Are you that selfish? Like if someone in the immediate family dies are you not obligated to go to their funeral? Seriously, stop being dumb.

You're injecting the word "choice" into a word that according to the dictionary, which you instructed me to reference, has nothing to do with choice. You can choose to ignore obligations but they're still obligations. Just because you can choose to honor/not honor something that is an obligation, viz a viz, rent, (which is a committal of funds to satisfy a legally binding contract) doesn't miraculously mean it's not an obligation.

Or were you instructing me to reference the Nimrod Dictionary of American English because I don't know where I can find that.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-01-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #74
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
you're legally obligated to honor the rent contract
a contract i voluntarily signed! seriously you can't be this dense. you just can't. when have i ever led you to believe that i didn't believe in legally binding contracts signed voluntarily? they are also providing me a service... it's commerce.

Quote:
this "selfish" crap is just a way to spin things to suit your own dogma. you can go ahead and pretend you aren't obligated to do anything, you "choose" to do it but any rational, sensible person with half a brain would realize that's such a tremendous load of shit. Are you not obligated to your family in any way? Are you that selfish? Like if someone in the immediate family dies are you not obligated to go to their funeral? Seriously, stop being dumb.

You're injecting the word "choice" into a word that according to the dictionary, which you instructed me to reference, has nothing to do with choice. You can choose to ignore obligations but they're still obligations. Just because you can choose to honor/not honor something that is an obligation, viz a viz, rent, (which is a committal of funds to satisfy a legally binding contract) doesn't miraculously mean it's not an obligation.

Or were you instructing me to reference the Nimrod Dictionary of American English because I don't know where I can find that.
good lord, you really are that dumb.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #75
Trotskilicious
Banned

haha

you are still reading meaning into the word obligation that isn't there. there's nothing that says it's not voluntary or by choice. i'm not sure how you think you become obligated to something or someone but, there really isn't a lot about your mind that makes any kind of rational sense.

marriage is an obligation of choice. having children is an obligation of choice. seriously guy, you lose. you might as well delete these posts because you just look like an utter tool.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #76
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
haha

you are still reading meaning into the word obligation that isn't there. there's nothing that says it's not voluntary or by choice. i'm not sure how you think you become obligated to something or someone but, there really isn't a lot about your mind that makes any kind of rational sense.

marriage is an obligation of choice. having children is an obligation of choice. seriously guy, you lose. you might as well delete these posts because you just look like an utter tool.
You really have no grasp on what this conversation was about. Marriage? Kids? Rental Agreements?

Are you drunk?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #77
Trotskilicious
Banned

i thought we were defining the word obligation

because that's what i'm talking about

Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

you're also obligated to pay taxes, btw. so, no it's not possible to live in a city and not be obligated to anyone.

unless you're like, homeless.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #79
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

nimrod, just because you're willingly shortsighted in regards to you relationship with the rest of the planet, doesn't mean you don't owe anything to it.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #80
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 View Post
I'm too busy with Catcher in the Rye and The Red Badge of Courage.
I'm too lazy to spread in order to be able to +rep you, so consider this a +rep.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #81
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel Buckner View Post
nimrod, just because you're willingly shortsighted in regards to you relationship with the rest of the planet, doesn't mean you don't owe anything to it.
I don't subscribe to touchy-feely economics.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned

...what

the hell

are you talking about

Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #83
Nimrod's Son

You seem to be espousing how people are born owing other people monetary compensation simply for existing.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #84
Trotskilicious
Banned

...no...

this is really beyond you isn't it

Old 04-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #85
Nimrod's Son

I don't think even you know what you're talking about anymore, you're just trying to troll and argue.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #86
redbreegull

Quote:
...no...

this is really beyond you isn't it
It is always frustrating in an argument with Nimrod when you get to the point where you realize he just doesn't understand what you are talking about.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

then he says i'm trying to troll and argue

it's really quite sad

i think everyone else understood the point, it's fairly simple.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #88
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Quote:
then he says i'm trying to troll and argue

it's really quite sad

i think everyone else understood the point, it's fairly simple.
Neither side is making sense.

Nimrod shouldn't have said that you can get by living in a city without obligating yourself to someone at all. If someone is wanting to be hypercritical about it and take it painfully literally, then sure, that statement is wrong. There is a baseline level of obligation you must submit to in order to get by in modern society even if you're just out for yourself.

But on the other hand, everyone else has been shifting freely between specific moral and legal obligations to you and yours (eg. pay your taxes, support your family) and vague, pie-in-the-sky, "everyone's all in this together" BS and treating them as though they're the same concept. In reality, those are two different things with two wholly different sets of implications. I don't think you have to reject the former to reject the latter.

Perhaps what Nimrod meant was "Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to everyone else."

Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #89
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
Neither side is making sense.

Nimrod shouldn't have said that you can get by living in a city without obligating yourself to someone at all. If someone is wanting to be hypercritical about it and take it painfully literally, then sure, that statement is wrong. There is a baseline level of obligation you must submit to in order to get by in modern society even if you're just out for yourself.

But on the other hand, everyone else has been shifting freely between specific moral and legal obligations to you and yours (eg. pay your taxes, support your family) and vague, pie-in-the-sky, "everyone's all in this together" BS and treating them as though they're the same concept. In reality, those are two different things with two wholly different sets of implications. I don't think you have to reject the former to reject the latter.

Perhaps what Nimrod meant was "Perhaps you're not aware but it is possible to live in a city and still not be obligated to everyone else."
I don't really see how they are different except that one is expected by societal norms and the other has not been embraced yet. It seems like someone who can subscribe to the obligations expected by our culture but not higher obligations that are still a bit ahead of the social curve is just pretty shortsighted and immersed in immediacy.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #90
Nimrod's Son

redbreegull is all about higher obligations because he hasn't had to pay taxes yet and his mommy cooks his breakfast