Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default The U2 POPMART Tour was fucking awesome

Really, one of the coolest, cutting edge tours from a major rock band. It was awesome that U2 were trying new things and really trying to push the boundaries. I know a lot of hardcore fans weren't digging the aesthetic of it all, but I think it was awesome. It was the last time that U2 were evolving... I'll never understand why fans proffered what was to come after.

And man... That giant lemon thing. That was fucking dope.

I just watched the concert DVD for the first time a few days ago. I was thoroughly impressed.

It seems like bands don't try and push the boundaries anymore with their live sets.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
fuzzyroes
Banned

Like honestly, check out that video and how they emerge. That's showmanship. And I really dug the crazy stage get-up. Beats going out wearing dungarees.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

It sucks how lame U2 has become. It's really kind of like another Smashing Pumpkins situation, except people actually still like U2

Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Especially since they gave away that one album out for free on iTunes back in 2014

Old 02-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Songs of Innocence, if if I recall correctly. Not really into it, their older stuff is way better.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah man, I've given up on em... They just seem to be following the "u2 formula" now sorta like listening to one of the AC/DC albums that came out in the 90's/00's/10's

Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Dude. I would consider Popmart second only to the ZooTV tour as the highest points in counterculture history. I don't think it's possible to push a rock concert any further than what they pulled off. I'd only put ZooTV at the top because they broadcast a live feed from fucking Sarajevo in the middle of the show with Bono talking to people in a real war zone from the stage!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Even when their records are not up to par, they remain a great live act:

Old 02-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Sarajevo? Lol. Next stop must of been Mogadishu.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Even though I was only 15 and didn't have much of a say in it, this tour is the one I regret not being able to see the most in my concert-going life.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 02-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Dude. I would consider Popmart second only to the ZooTV tour as the highest points in counterculture history. I don't think it's possible to push a rock concert any further than what they pulled off. I'd only put ZooTV at the top because they broadcast a live feed from fucking Sarajevo in the middle of the show with Bono talking to people in a real war zone from the stage!
Hell Yeah man. The ZooTV tour was nuts too. They really were an exciting band.

Which is kind of why I don't know why the fanbase seemingly preferred the "return to roots" sound of that Beautiful Day album and all that. It sorta seemed like they were done with pushing the boundaries and that the fans were happy about it.

Anyhow, I think the Popmart tour was truly the last big rock spectacle. I'd like to see more of that boundary pushing with rock groups today.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i love pretty much everything U2 were doing in the 90s, though considering how far they'd pushed it all by this point (both tour, album, & otherwise) it's not too surprising what a left-turn they took afterward - it is U2 afterall, not Radiohead, they were going to have to "come back down to earth" at some point or another i guess

still though, for the biggest band in the world their experimental period had a pretty damn good run

Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 AM   #14
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

speaking of 90s U2 this is an awesome song from around that period I often forget about since it wasn't on an album - & the version of it on that particular PopMart performance is fucking great because of that alternate vocal thing Bono does during the choruses

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 AM   #15
fuzzyroes
Banned

Hell yeah, that was the first song I got into by them. That music video was super cool too with the animated Bono. Shit, I'm gonna go watch that now.

That's a good point about em coming back to earth though. I only wish maybe they would have been a little more daring than what we've come to expect... It's the way it goes in music though I guess.