Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate that CYR!
0 - total garbage, unlistenable, couldn’t make it through a single listen 7 8.97%
1 - this is technically music, but you don’t like anything about it 4 5.13%
2 - some of the worst music you’ve ever heard, you won’t ever listen to it again 6 7.69%
3 - pretty bad album, but at least it has purple blood 9 11.54%
4 - Worse than average, you listened to the whole thing but have no desire to do it again 15 19.23%
5 - Completely neutral, you neither love nor loathe this sound 10 12.82%
6 - Better than average, but only a few songs you’ll be returning to 8 10.26%
7 - Super duper album but you won’t be pulling it out unless you are particularly in the mood for it 9 11.54%
8 - great album marred by a few missteps or idiosyncrasies. You will keep listening regularly 7 8.97%
9 - fantastic album, u will get married or renew your vows to it one day 1 1.28%
10 - complete success, on par with golden era SP 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #91
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Idk. 4? 5? It’s not bad music or anything but the vocals are mixed too high, Billy refuses to use his old voice, guitars are MIA, and the drumming is so uninspired it’s hard to believe it’s Jimmy. And the actual music kind of lumps together and is lacking in emotion and energy. A boring album.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #92
Ram27
dumb

all that makes it bad music

Old 11-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #93
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H View Post
It's funny you say that brother because I was going through all the lyrics last night. Wrath is pretty straight forward with Heaven,and the Judgement. Also Shaudenfreud has some good references to Jesus "Round the hills of our Lord and hollows In sacrifice of His own" and when he says "like a lion I will track our rulers" . Not as much as I thought. I think there is more references to greek mythology and tarot cards from what people are saying but I don't know much about either of those.
Wicked. Thanks for looking into it

What do u make of “im in luv with yer god”? Pretty mysterious lyrics on this heap of big willie here

Old 11-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #94
run2pee
Minion of Satan

You know im gonna have to ask us to pump the brakes on all this dissing of the drums on here

If u ask me the percussion is strong almost entirely throughout. And i can hear plenty jimmy. It’s like some of u think that restrained drumming cannot = good drumming

Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #95
Ram27
dumb

i don't think anyone's complained about the drumming, moreso the shitty soulless roland samples

Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #96
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Is it confirmed there are no acoustic drum sounds on this record? Was that in one of the interviews

Old 11-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #97
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Like wytch is gotta be acoustic drum recordings? If not that’s some realistic ass snare

Old 11-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #98
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Sounds 100% like a v-kit on Wyttch.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #99
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I've given the album a spin about three times now. A few songs have grown on me, a few others have stood out as worse.

They call it a double album, and while I understand the logic it's still 20 tracks stuffed onto a single CD with no breaks or shifts in tone; the shift from Starrcraft to Purple Blood doesn't feel at all like any kind of transition.

Assuming you can get into the general sound at all - and I can't blame anyone who can't - there's still no getting around the fact that it's 5-6 songs minimum longer than it should be.

Sometimes you have two songs you're writing, you put pieces of them both together, and you get something magic. Sometimes you don't and you wind up with something like Adrenalynne which literally sounds like segments of two completely different scrapped tracks mashed up.

There are moments. The arrangements of stuff like Starrcraft and Save Your Tears kind of sound like they could be vintage SP stuff. That's maybe the most compelling thing about the album; sometimes I feel like I can hear the SP we love struggling to break free from under layers of processing.

Years from now I'd say it's going to be looked at an interesting sonic experiment whose aspirations fell way short much of the actual content.

The fact that they pared this down to 20 from like 35 tracks is mind-boggling.

I'm gonna ditch Adrennalynne, Haunted, Schaudenfreud, Tyger, Tyger. Maybe Dulcet in E, not sure yet. Five tracks less and there's something I could enjoy at points.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #100
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
This is an insane opinion. Teargarden was clearly and obviously his worst work ever.
100%

Old 11-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #101
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Sounds 100% like a v-kit on Wyttch.
Agree.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #102
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
... There are moments. The arrangements of stuff like Starrcraft and Save Your Tears kind of sound like they could be vintage SP stuff. That's maybe the most compelling thing about the album; sometimes I feel like I can hear the SP we love...

The fact that they pared this down to 20 from like 35 tracks is mind-boggling....
Aye

Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #103
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Wicked. Thanks for looking into it

What do u make of “im in luv with yer god”? Pretty mysterious lyrics on this heap of big willie here
Yeah that's an interesting song. I think he's talking about false gods. Whatever you love the most is your god. Or maybe he's looking from an outside perspective and wants to become closer to God and has an admiration for people who have a healthy fear of God and wants to rise like a phoenix and become more spiritual. You never know with BC.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #104
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Old 11-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #105
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Is it confirmed there are no acoustic drum sounds on this record? Was that in one of the interviews
it's confirmed by our EARS mothalicka!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #106
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

still only heard the pre-release bs so far, but the only one with anything that could even be construed as "live drumming" or at the very least, live drum sounds, was Wytchh

or is it Wyttch

or Wyyttcchh

Old 11-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #107
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I think it's solid for what its setting out to do. Billy said on the Q interview he wanted SP to make a contemporary music album. Given how much pop is already out there, you can definitely make the case that a classic SP album would be much more of a breath of fresh air rather than something that sounded out of date. Also, SP do need to remind the general public why they were great in the first place, and going the synth pop route was just never going to accomplish that. It certainly was not what I was hoping for and not why I became a fan in the first place. But all that being said I think its actually a solid album and certainly not a ripoff or embarrassment.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #108
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Cool

just listened to the whole thing. last seven songs or so drag. everything up to that point i can dig.

can you dig it?

Old 11-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #109
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

"drag" ?

you mean like, drag everything Bill Corgan has done up to this point in time? if that's what you meant i wholeheartedly agree!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #110
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

BPM per song:
1 - 152
2 - 106
3 - 127
4 - 160
5 - 140
6 - 128
7 - 132
8 - 128
9 - 107
10 - 140
11 - 98
12 - 145
13 - 136
14 - 115
15 - 145
16 - 93
17 - 131
18 - 121
19 - 103
20 - 125

Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 AM   #111
FoolofaTook

BPM = Butt Pound Me?

Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #112
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
"drag" ?

you mean like, drag everything Bill Corgan has done up to this point in time? if that's what you meant i wholeheartedly agree!
man have you heard purple blood? shit's on par with adore.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:26 AM   #113
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
man have you heard purple blood? shit's on par with adore.
Purple blood is fucken righteous

When that came on i was like omf is this....wait...this is good shit! Not even any qualifiers. Like it’s a freikin kickass composition, wicked sound, good singing, everything man

Old 11-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #114
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Gettin a wintry snowsparkle kinda bleak kinda frozen vibe off the synthscapes on this. They are good synths. Evocative. Lotta texture existing in the same space

So far for me the story of this album is texture that keeps luring me back in to explore the surroundings of the little hooks that get lodged in my brain. Dopamine and Wrath and Anno Satanas. There are a lot of guileful little hooks and themes in those tracks that get lodged in the brain more than any SP since golden era, probably

Old 11-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #115
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also while we’re at it, i don’t hate that there are 20 songs. Some of them may be growers, who knows. Only thing is i can’t picture ever having a need for a vinyl copy of this to play. Probably gonna be an album i digest through evolving playlists

Old 11-30-2020, 12:37 AM   #116
FoolofaTook

backing vocals are great too. they should kick out jeff and make her permanent.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:05 AM   #117
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Birch Grove is fucken moving, man

It’s about his kids, huh

Old 11-30-2020, 01:11 AM   #118
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

The negativity about this album is really overstated. I keep listening and liking it more and more. The people who say the back half is worse, or just more of the same, aren't giving it a fair shake. The back half is darker, stranger, and has a few really interesting pockets where the instruments truly do shine. It's actually kind of crazy to go back and listen to some of the Teargarden stuff (and yes, earlier poster was right-- EASILY the worst thing he has ever done; even Monuments is clearly better and that album is straight bullshit) and see how cheap and lame the synths sound. Same with Oceania. There's a type of song that he has been trying to write for over ten years now and it's generally terrible (Run2Me is the poster child of this song type) and Cyr is honestly the album where he figures out how that type of song works. I never thought I'd want an album like that, but now that it's here, I'll probably return to it more frequently than any other post 2000 Billy material.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #119
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
The negativity about this album is really overstated. I keep listening and liking it more and more. The people who say the back half is worse, or just more of the same, aren't giving it a fair shake. The back half is darker, stranger, and has a few really interesting pockets where the instruments truly do shine. It's actually kind of crazy to go back and listen to some of the Teargarden stuff (and yes, earlier poster was right-- EASILY the worst thing he has ever done; even Monuments is clearly better and that album is straight bullshit) and see how cheap and lame the synths sound. Same with Oceania. There's a type of song that he has been trying to write for over ten years now and it's generally terrible (Run2Me is the poster child of this song type) and Cyr is honestly the album where he figures out how that type of song works. I never thought I'd want an album like that, but now that it's here, I'll probably return to it more frequently than any other post 2000 Billy material.
Yeah this is an astute post right here

It’s like the first time this type of big willie keyboard experiment just lands to where u can go ... oh yeah. That’s what he’s been fiddlin at or graspin toward on those songs of those albums u cite, there

In your post

Old 11-30-2020, 02:07 AM   #120
Ram27
dumb

i think the argument that something should've been X songs shorter is really dumb and bad -- just because the song doesn't resonate with you or even most of the audience, that doesn't make it inherently bad, and some people could really love it, or i'll sometimes be in the mood for it, so it's worth it

but cyr should've been 20 songs shorter