Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #91
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
shiny 1 had 4 good songs and 4 terrible songs. i'm probably going to feel the same about this one.. half and half.
I'm tempted to say I'll fall into the same camp. That being said, I don't think anything from Cyr so far is as good as the best stuff on Shiny. Like, I'd take Silvery Sometimes, Marchin' On, and With Sympathy over everything released from Cyr thus far. But, nothing from Cyr has been as bad as Alienation, Solara, or Seek and You Shall Destroy. I'm honestly just expecting a boring, middle of the road album that has no flow and just enough hints of occasional proficiency to make it upsetting that it's not better.

The thing that really discourages me is that the album feels as though it's going to lack a certain dynamism in song structure. Most of these songs are three to four minutes; I'd feel better if we had some longer tracks mixed in there, even if they weren't that great, to kind of break up the tedium. While there are still elements of these songs that I really enjoy, they feel so processed, like Billy tried to make an album full of 1979's and Tonight Tonights. SP needs some ragged, tattered fuckin edges to it, a certain sloppiness mixed into the proficiency... it's not here.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #92
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Wytch has a pretty cool driving vibe but will only get a single listen due to vocals

Old 10-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #93
Ram27
dumb

you know the truly depressing think to think is that -- what if james and jimmy are just as stupid and bad and horrible as corgan. they're all into this shitty aesthetic and songwriting and vibe. it's just that since they're not lead singers it doesn't get exposed or reported on as much. but they're just as culpable

Last edited by Ram27 : 10-30-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #94
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
Just listened to Marchin On. It is not a great song but miles better than this stuff.
Which is proof that all Corgan has to do is sing ole he used to and we’d be happy

Old 10-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #95
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
you know the truly depressing think to think is that -- james and jimmy are just as stupid and bad and horrible as corgan. they're all into this shitty aesthetic and songwriting and vibe. it's just that since they're not lead singers it doesn't get exposed or reported on as much. but they're just as culpable
Nah they’re ok

No shame in getting paid for your legacy, even if big willie seems ultimately hellbent on destroying it as slow/painfully as possible while evaporating any semblance of his own credibility as an artist/person

Old 10-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #96
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I don’t blame Jimmy or James for any of this. They just let Billy do whatever bs he’s gonna do in the studio. He gives them a platform to go out on tour and make bank. I’d do it too. SP are like any legacy band now. The fans don’t really give a shit about the new albums and the band will play maybe a couple songs from it live max. Billy is just like an athlete that thinks he’s still in his prime and can’t accept that he peaked already. You’re not batting .390 anymore, more like .125 and the rest of team humors you because they know your retirement is imminent

Old 10-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #97
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh my god. Can we please just go back to 2018 and start this reunion over?

Old 10-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #98
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I don’t blame Jimmy or James for any of this. They just let Billy do whatever bs he’s gonna do in the studio. He gives them a platform to go out on tour and make bank. I’d do it too. SP are like any legacy band now. The fans don’t really give a shit about the new albums and the band will play maybe a couple songs from it live max. Billy is just like an athlete that thinks he’s still in his prime and can’t accept that he peaked already. You’re not batting .390 anymore, more like .125 and the rest of team humors you because they know your retirement is imminent
Let me see if I got you:

Billy is doing what he wishes, as he wishes. Jimmy and James are around just for the money.

Are you really trying to show them some support?

Old 10-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #99
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post

Old 10-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #100
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah they’re just around for the money. That is indeed what I said.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #101
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
Did a double take

Old 10-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #102
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
He gives them a platform to go out on tour and make bank

Old 10-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #103
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post

Old 10-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #104
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Let me see if I got you:

Billy is doing what he wishes, as he wishes. Jimmy and James are around just for the money.

Are you really trying to show them some support?
yeah. it's not like sports with them taking up a roster spot or salary

i don't know what j2 have from the 90s run but they almost definitely deserve more

Old 10-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #105
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I support their decision to play in a no longer great band that sells tickets based solely on 90’s nostalgia

Old 10-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #106
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Curious.. at what point are some of you going to finally abandon this band?

Obviously the music isn’t what it was when they were young and started out. Obviously they’ve come back to cash in on what they’ve built in their initial run.. but duh why shouldn’t they? They’re dudes in their 50s with families, what else they going to do? Be realistic about it rather than angry about it. Seems wasted energy.

I for one am happy to see them make new music. Whether it’s good or bad honestly doesn’t bother me now as a fan, it’s going to be hit or miss. I’m also all about seeing a stage production type show for MCIS.. my favorite album and with James and jimmy at the helm I’m sure that’ll be a trip to witness and hear.

But Jesus Christ lots of energy wasted on what’s obvious. Take it or leave it.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #107
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Loving it too. It sounds a bit like White Zombie
The riff sounds like the one in “Thunder Kiss 65” but you’re kidding yourself if you think Wyyytch is anywhere near the quality of White Zombie. White Zombie were the shit.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #108
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy can’t write good music unless D’Arcy is there. Prove me wrong.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #109
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
Billy can’t write good music unless D’Arcy is there. Prove me wrong.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #110
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Curious.. at what point are some of you going to finally abandon this band?

Obviously the music isn’t what it was when they were young and started out. Obviously they’ve come back to cash in on what they’ve built in their initial run.. but duh why shouldn’t they? They’re dudes in their 50s with families, what else they going to do? Be realistic about it rather than angry about it. Seems wasted energy.

I for one am happy to see them make new music. Whether it’s good or bad honestly doesn’t bother me now as a fan, it’s going to be hit or miss. I’m also all about seeing a stage production type show for MCIS.. my favorite album and with James and jimmy at the helm I’m sure that’ll be a trip to witness and hear.

But Jesus Christ lots of energy wasted on what’s obvious. Take it or leave it.
How much energy did u put into your post complaining about how others use their energy? By the way omg thank u what have we done with our lives, here

Old 10-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #111
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I mean its good music but its nowhere close to SP1 quality. However, its Led Zeppelin III compared to Cyr.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #112
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
How much energy did u put into your post complaining about how others use their energy? By the way omg thank u what have we done with our lives, here
Honestly took two minutes of my time. Was worth it just to rattle your cage.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #113
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I'm a fan of the band so it's interesting to discuss the ups and downs, the positive and negative, and the absolute villainous nature of Billy Corgan. What's the point of anyone being on this board if it all has to be positive and endless praise? That's sad machines and that's the kind of stuff Klax would send to my message requests on fb taking me to task for having an opinion.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #114
paranoid
Minion of Satan

My point is this place has become the complete opposite of sad machines. No middle ground.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #115
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
My point is this place has become the complete opposite of sad machines. No middle ground.
In fairness, Billy has gotten really weird in recent interviews and social media, and Jimmy seems to be going along with it. Billy seems like he wants to spite anyone who is willing to share any grain of truth about SP. It's very much reflected in the music, interviews, and social media interaction. I really thought we were turning a corner for the better in 2018 and even in January of this year, if not in music than at least in attitude and communication, but now it seems worse than ever. It seems like being critical is the only real response. I was definitely mad about Billy's attitude towards SP1 and the fans in the 2007-2015 period, but now it seems like its entering an even new level of strange to where I feel genuinely uncomfortable about the situation.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #116
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I mean its good music
what

Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #117
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Billy has been this way throughout the entirety of his career. We just didn’t see it as much in the 90s because we over idolized him. But listen to his rants from those lollapalooza shows, for example, and they’re just as cringe as his behavior is now.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #118
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

hasn't it always been like that more or less? I think for most people there isn't a middle ground with this new stuff because it's some of the weakest material he's ever released. And I really liked some of Monuments, Ogilala and about four songs on SoSB and Cotillions each. But his ig persona and ranting doesn't really make people have positive feelings about him.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #119
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Billy has been this way throughout the entirety of his career. We just didn’t see it as much in the 90s because we over idolized him. But listen to his rants from those lollapalooza shows, for example, and they’re just as cringe as his behavior is now.
that's true, yeah. we over idolized him so we glossed over that stuff. I guess that's why just about any other band who had some sort of contact with him hated him. with the ig q+a stuff you just see a lot of the ugly side of his personality come out unfiltered.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #120
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Remember what a whiny bitch he was when adore came out? That was a hell of a meltdown