pale princess was telling me how diverse the toronto food culture is

course their MEXICAN food sucks and they don't have WHATABURGER
Mexican food here is almost nonexistent

Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #92
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
couple years ago I got a bit lost out in one of the Toronto suburbs. I pulled into the parking lot of a taco bell to check my GPS and realized that it was packed with Indian teenagers. It seemed really strange to me that Indians living in Toronto would hang out at a Mexican restaurant run by an american company.
Why? What you wrote sounds weird to me, actually. No one thinks like that here. Also, they might not have been indian but regardless it isn't strange at all.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #93
Order 66
Socialphobic

obvs youve never heard of the trail of tears. lincoln exiled them to canada

Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #94
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
Why? What you wrote sounds weird to me, actually. No one thinks like that here. Also, they might not have been indian but regardless it isn't strange at all.
All I'm saying is that it in a pop cultural sense it was an odd thing to run across, especially having spent the previous week several hours north at Camp White Pine hanging out with a few hundred Hosers

they could have been Pakistani for all I knew. The area seemed to have a lot of strip malls filled with "Indian" businesses. And I saw quite a few Sikh men out and about. Doesn't Toronto have the largest native Indian population of any city in North America?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #95
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I've had good indian food in Ontario too.

also you have a fascist mayor who smokes crack and calls for motorists to hit cyclists with their cars.
He doesn't do dumb stuff cause he is a fascist, it is cause he drinks a lot and does crack. Other politicians in toronto are awful though.

Anyways toronto has great indian, chinese, jamaican, korean food. There is a lot more to list but what I think sucks here is mexican, american southern bbq, almost no deepdish, not much japanese (outside sushi).

Old 06-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #96
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
He doesn't do dumb stuff cause he is a fascist, it is cause he drinks a lot and does crack. Other politicians in toronto are awful though.

Anyways toronto has great indian, chinese, jamaican, korean food. There is a lot more to list but what I think sucks here is mexican, american southern bbq, almost no deepdish, not much japanese (outside sushi).
reading up on the guy it looks like it's not just a behavior problem, but also a problem of shitty politics. He advocates horrible political views. Case in point is his contempt for any form of transportation other than cars.

If you had told me he was the mayor of a Midwestern US city I might have believed it. I feel bad for people in Toronto. Everyone I know there hates the guy. I don't understand where all Ford's supporters are because I've never met one.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #97
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it in a pop cultural sense it was an odd thing to run across, especially having spent the previous week several hours north at Camp White Pine hanging out with a few hundred Hosers

they could have been Pakistani for all I knew. The area seemed to have a lot of strip malls filled with "Indian" businesses. And I saw quite a few Sikh men out and about. Doesn't Toronto have the largest native Indian population of any city in North America?
Native indian to me means aboriginal.

We have a lot of different neighbourhoods here. Depending on where you are you could be in an area filled with one ethnicity. That is why it is cool. Where I live it is primarily chinese. All chinese businesses two huge chinese super markets five mins apart.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #98
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I've never had a good slice of Pizza in Toronto. Been to a handful of randomn pizza joints and all were terrible. Also, I can't believe anybody in Ontario knows how to make real BBQ

Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #99
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Native indian to me means aboriginal.

In AMERICA we good liberals now use the term "Native American"

Old 06-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #100
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
reading up on the guy it looks like it's not just a behavior problem, but also a problem of shitty politics. He advocates horrible political views. Case in point is his contempt for any form of transportation other than cars.

If you had told me he was the mayor of a Midwestern US city I might have believed it. I feel bad for people in Toronto. Everyone I know there hates the guy. I don't understand where all Ford's supporters are because I've never met one.
The poor and immigrants are the supporters of ford. Ford isn't the devil he is made out to be. Prior to ford the mayor was only interested in supporting the rich white neighbourhoods of downtown. They raised a lot of taxes which hurt the middle class and poor to pay for all the government union types to have crazy wages and crazy benefits. For instance a bus driver in toronto makes 60k-100k.

People were fed up and ford vowed to cut back. So those who were ignored voted for him and he did some good stuff and saved the city a lot of money and stopped certain unions from destroying the city, but sadly ford fucked shit up. First of all he doesn't support the large population of gay people in the city, to me that is his biggest problem. The gay commuminity has a lot of power here and he should have AT LEAST pretended to support them. Secondly he is a mess with drugs etc.

But at the same time the other politicians are JUST as pitiful even without drugs. They will tax and tax and tax and the money will disapear.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #101
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
In AMERICA we good liberals now use the term "Native American"
We use native or aboriginal. And depends who you are talking to.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #102
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I have no problem with a bus driver making $60k or more.

I you're poor and the target of your ire is public employees (like bus drivers) you're politics are fucked up. Poor immigrants (Canada or USA) aren't being hurt by people like teachers who are well paid. They're being fucked by the rich and by business interests.

sounds exactly like the garbage that goes on in Detroit. ask anybody living in the suburbs of detroit why the city is broke and they won't mention how Businesses bankrupted the city or how two thirds of the cities residents left. They'll tell you that the city is fucked up because the teachers are paid too much and the bus drivers' union squeezes the city for cash.

it's all bull shit of course. Nobody bitches about the billionaire owner of Quicken Loans getting huge tracts of propery tax free, or the Fords getting a half billion dollar stadium paid for by the State. Or the owner of Little Ceasars getting millions in tax breaks....

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 06-20-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #103
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I've never had a good slice of Pizza in Toronto. Been to a handful of randomn pizza joints and all were terrible. Also, I can't believe anybody in Ontario knows how to make real BBQ
There are places in Toronto but it is not like the statesI hear that in northern ontario there is some. For pizza, there are very few but it can suck. There is one place that actually has chefs that go to italy every year to keep up with the pizza trends.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #104
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

the real question is where can I get a great Walleye dinner?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #105
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I have no problem with a bus driver making $60k or more.

I you're poor and the target of your ire is public employees (like bus drivers) you're politics are fucked up. Poor immigrants (Canada or USA) aren't being hurt by people like teachers who are well paid. They're being fucked by the rich and by business interests.

Fight the real power!
Actually they are, in canada it isn't about big business especially in ontario. The unions are making a killing so they have to constantly raise taxes. We already have 13% sales tax and our hydro and gas just doubled. Private industry is at risk because they are being taxed so heavily. Many are considering moving to calgary.

60k-100k is a problem when because of the unions making so much the government makes the riders pay more to ride transit which affects the poor. our subway line is a joke and getting worse and worse, service getting cut and more expensive.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #106
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

cutting the pay of bus drivers ain't gonna make your subway better. it's a case of the have nots blaming each other.

just like the USA the people who have the money aren't paying their fair share. To beat up on a bus driver when hundreds of billions of dollars of tar sands oil is being pumped out of the country is beyond ridiculous. There is enough potential tax money in energy resources alone in Canada to fund whatever infrastructure the country might need.

But I get it. Dipshits down here do the same thing. They blame my state being bankrupt on the Teachers Unions, so they cut $1billion dollars from education spending and gave a $1billion tax cut to large corporations and billionairs. And that makes the schools worse, so they blame the teachers again... and they want to cut more from schools.

Keep going, Ontario! You'll be just like Detroit before you know it!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #107
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

oh my god if only i had eyeball cancer

Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #108
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LULZ

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #109
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
cutting the pay of bus drivers ain't gonna make your subway better. it's a case of the have nots blaming each other.

just like the USA the people who have the money aren't paying their fair share. To beat up on a bus driver when hundreds of billions of dollars of tar sands oil is being pumped out of the country is beyond ridiculous. There is enough potential tax money in energy resources alone in Canada to fund whatever infrastructure the country might need.

But I get it. Dipshits down here do the same thing. They blame my state being bankrupt on the Teachers Unions, so they cut $1billion dollars from education spending and gave a $1billion tax cut to large corporations and billionairs. And that makes the schools worse, so they blame the teachers again... and they want to cut more from schools.

Keep going, Ontario! You'll be just like Detroit before you know it!
I live in ontario not alberta, that money wouldn't come here. Alberta is rich and big biz is booming there.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #110
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
I've had good indian food in Ontario too.

also you have a fascist mayor who smokes crack and calls for motorists to hit cyclists with their cars.
that wouldn't happen if a good portion of cyclists weren't fucking assholes who think they have special rights because like they save the planet by not using their cars or something. Of course here's the thing, pedestrians think cyclists are assholes, cyclists think drivers are assholes and drivers thinks cyclists and pedestrians are assholes. the moral of this is...most people are just assholes and should probably be run over regardless of their mean of transportation.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #111
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

You'd make a great Republican. You should move here.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #112
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I cycle everyday. I think that there should be more bike lanes and paths and remove the street cars downtown and put them underground. Streetcar tracks are a danger to cyclists. I know two people who got seriously injured because their wheel got caught.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #113
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

i'm mainly just SICK SO FUCKING SICK of cyclists on the GODDAM sidewalk. It's not like bike paths are lacking in MTL. Or like oh my god I'm on the wrong way on a one way street, no way am I gonna ride on the street. yeah but every other street is one way the way youre fucking going, too much effort to continue on to the next one? I don't give a shit, just don't ride on the fucking sidewalk. I actually take the middle if I see one coming. Either two things, they get off the sidewalk, or they hit me at which point I hope I get injured so I can sue your stupid ass..

Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #114
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

More hate

Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #115
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

It keeps me alive.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #116
Mooney
Socialphobic

Arrow

Quote:
The poor and immigrants are the supporters of ford. Ford isn't the devil he is made out to be. Prior to ford the mayor was only interested in supporting the rich white neighbourhoods of downtown. They raised a lot of taxes which hurt the middle class and poor to pay for all the government union types to have crazy wages and crazy benefits. For instance a bus driver in toronto makes 60k-100k. People were fed up and ford vowed to cut back.
this is the anti-union sentiment that drives me fucking nuts. let's attack the fucking bus drivers! they are the true 1%. 60k in a city where the average rent on a one bedroom aparment is $1500/month...almost half of their take home pay would go towards rent...which any financial expert would tell you is a bad situation.

rather than vote to bolster the middle class, and stand behind unions because they are the reason the middle class exists, lets choose whatever fat fuck that promises to make any currently borderline middle class worker just as poor me!@#

fuck you.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #117
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean why shouldn't a bus driver make that much, much more valuable than social media experts

Old 06-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #118
Trotskilicious
Banned

and it's a stressful, unrewarding job

Old 06-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #119
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Most bus drivers in the city make at least 80k, some bus drivers are making 100k which is what many police officer make?

Give me a break.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #120
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Oooo just found that many making over 100k are station collectors. Totally cool these people are making as much as police.