Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

side note - why is the marvel universe so complicated? jfc

Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #32
slunken
Virgo

finished up punisher war zone. it can be complicated because some of the stories either continue or conclude in either issues of punisher volume 2 or punisher war journal, both of which i am reading now.

i think next time it would be easier to read it all by publication date as opposed to publication title.

i can't stop reading about frank castle mowing down scum.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #33
slunken
Virgo

also i don't think anyone here reads any simon hanselmann but they pushed back megahex another month again ugh

Old 10-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

so Galactus is pretty terrifying, huh?

started reading some Silver Surfer

Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #35
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Silver surfer is great. Read FF 48-50 obviously, but read lee and buscema's run

Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

there was this weird issue of the punisher recently where he kind of teams up with a rapping performance artist flag burner and the punisher goes on this whole "pseudo-racist" rant about how rap music is not music because music must contain three elements: harmony melody and rhythm and he says that rap music is just monkey grunting in rhythm and at best it is bad spoken poetry put to a drum beat and that there is no melody or harmony which one could argue is easily simply not the case but on the other hand i don't know i guess maybe that was the eurocentric view on it or something?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

also note to self to research later/fun fact:

early punisher issues has frank/punisher using an alias of "charles fort". charles fort was a late 19th/early 20th century author on occult phenomena.

Quote:
Fort suggests that there is a Super-Sargasso Sea into which all lost things go, and justifies his theories by noting that they fit the data as well as the conventional explanations. As to whether Fort believes this theory, or any of his other proposals, he gives us the answer: "I believe nothing of my own that I have ever written." Writer Colin Wilson suspects that Fort took few if any of his "explanations" seriously, and notes that Fort made "no attempt to present a coherent argument". (Wilson, 200) Moreover, Wilson opines that Fort's writing style is "atrocious" (Wilson, 199) and "almost unreadable" (Wilson, 200). Wilson also compares Fort to Robert Ripley, a contemporary writer who found major success hunting oddities, and speculates that Fort's idiosyncratic prose might have kept him from greater popular success.[citation needed]

Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #38
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
The Book of the Damned was the first published nonfiction work of the author Charles Fort (first edition 1919). Dealing with various types of anomalous phenomena including UFOs, strange falls of both organic and inorganic materials from the sky, odd weather patterns, the possible existence of creatures generally held to be mythological, disappearances of people under strange circumstances, and many other phenomena, the book is historically considered to be the first written in the specific field of anomalistics.
Quote:
The title of the book referred to what he termed the "damned" data - data which had been damned, or excluded, by modern science because of its not conforming to accepted guidelines. The way Fort saw it, mainstream scientists are trend followers who believe in what is accepted and popular, and never really look for a truth that may be contrary to what they believe. He also compared the close-mindedness of many scientists to that of religious fundamentalists, implying that the supposed "battle" between science and religion is just a smokescreen for the fact that, in his view, science is, in essence, simply a de facto religion. This is a theme that Fort would develop more heavily in his later works, New Lands and Lo! particularly.

Fort was one of the first major writers to deal extensively with paranormal phenomena (see parapsychology), and in that aspect at least, The Book of the Damned should be considered an important work. It should be viewed as a formulative work, perhaps understandably, as it is his first major book. Though Fort's uniquely acerbic writing style is already in evidence, and there are plenty of interesting phenomena to read about, Fort's theories (as such) are only beginning to be developed.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #39
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

do you consider 'graphic novels' as comics? it's all the same for me

anyways, I finished Habibi last week, great read, need to read more from that author

Old 11-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #40
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Slunken...Benjamin marra traditional comics is KILLING IT...trust me and buy this while you can:

http://www.traditionalcomics.com/ind...r/ta--issue-1/

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #41
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah galactus is fucking awesome

Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
side note - why is the marvel universe so complicated? jfc
haha don't know anything about DC do you?

it's 60 years of "continuity." It gets stupidly messy

Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #43
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Slunken...Benjamin marra traditional comics is KILLING IT...trust me and buy this while you can:

http://www.traditionalcomics.com/ind...r/ta--issue-1/
I read him

Old 11-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #44
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I know its the comics thread but i just learned Jared Leto is gonna be the Joker. I have no words to express how much i am gonna hate this movie.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #45
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Oh wait i see. Its in Suicide Squad and is yet just a rumor. STILL.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #46
slunken
Virgo

100 Bullets is really hitting the spot.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #47
slunken
Virgo

36/100 issues deep

loving it. highly recommended. Also recently read Paul Pope's "Heavy Liquid". Fantastic.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #48
slunken
Virgo

that POWR MASTRS ASHCAN preview that I pre-ordered in April showed up today. tight.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo

finished 100 bullets over the holiday (sloppy ending - great series) and started reading:

holy mother of god

where has vertigo been all my life

Old 12-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #50
slunken
Virgo

i guess i am only now a "mature reader"

Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #51
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

so spiderman is going back to marvel in terms of film rights....that's good but...oh wait. ANOTHER fucking reboot?

I think they should just be like, look you know the basic story,here's what happens,and then 5 mins later hit the ground running.I mean not really of course but...woul spare us the deja vu.

My main concern is that because we've seen the origin story told twice in the past 15 years, they'll want to make unnecessary changes so it doesn't feel like the same thing all over again. I mean they kinda did that in Amazing spiderman already and it bugged me a lot. The Raimi origin was pretty close to the comics and it's how it should be again.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #52
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Theyll never get Xmen back but FF would be nice too. Without FF and Spidey itshard to feel like tis the marvel uni. And well yeah without X men for fucking sure but i don't think fox is letting that go.TO be fair they did the best job of all non marvel productions. I mean minus Wolverine Origins and I guess X3 was kinda pretty blah. But i even liked Days of future past. Not loved, but liked.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:52 AM   #53
darby
Demi-God

i enjoy love and rockets (and just about anything the hernandez brothers do, really) and little nemo in slumberland

Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

finished the 80s run of ghost rider - onto the 90s series with dan ketch which is much better already

Old 09-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #55
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Read Seth's It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken a little bit ago. It wasn't bad. Sorta in that Catcher In the Rye genre of introspective cognitively-dissonant main characters. My biggest gripe is that it told rather than showed. Instead of showing the internal contradictions of the character by juxtaposing his words and his actions, it kind of just hit you over the head with him being self-aware enough to pontificate about all his struggles with authenticity and alienation and whatnot.

I've been reading Building Stories recently. It's, like, a bunch of comics of all shapes in sizes within a larger comic telling the stories of the inhabitants of an apartment complex. There is no official order to read the bits in, so it's sort of like reading assorted fragments that connect to each other in different ways. It's great so far.

Was also reading a bit of this Dini and Ross Justice League comic. Pretty straight-up superheroics, which suits Ross' style, because he renders superheroes in this sort of larger-than-life mythic way. Not a lot of that mandatory "superheroes don't get along" thing you see in most superhero team books these days, it's pure Silver-Age throwback with the heroes just being all chill and shit.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #56
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

catcher in the rye is bullshit

Old 09-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #57
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I dunno, I like Salinger. Then again, I read that book when I was in middle school, so maybe it wouldn't hold up anymore.

I remember liking the stories in the Glass family mythos better, though. "A Perfect Day for Banana Fish" is probs one of my favorite short stories. Roof Beam was great, too.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #58
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

God please make it stop

Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 AM   #59
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I dunno, I like Salinger. Then again, I read that book when I was in middle school, so maybe it wouldn't hold up anymore.

I remember liking the stories in the Glass family mythos better, though. "A Perfect Day for Banana Fish" is probs one of my favorite short stories. Roof Beam was great, too.
I love Franny and Zooey.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 AM   #60
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

franny and zooey is all i own and read of salinger. I don't remember it much though. I tried to read Catcher twice and couldn't get interested. Holden seemed like an annoying dickweed.