Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #31
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Not that different in the grand scheme of things.
there's a cultural divide between city liberals depicted on snl and white people that live in the countryside even within America itself, let alone the cultural gaps between countries

yeah there's a generalized liberal westernization around but it manifests in different ways

Old 03-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #32
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I didn't even see the video, i'm not basing my opinion on that.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #33
Trotskilicious
Banned

uh ok, so basically you said life isn't like the video you didn't watch and its the same everywhere

cool good talk very false

Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #34
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I simply answered red's question.
And I didn't say it's the same everywhere.
All I said was brazilian and american white dudes aren't that dissimilar in broad strokes.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #35
LaBelle
Socialphobic

For example a brazilian guy would also try to discredit my experience saying I didn't try the right men, from the right city or from the right places, so again... the general attitude is not that different.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

Seeing and treating women like equal human beings definitely has its advantages when it comes to picking them up.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #37
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
For example a brazilian guy would also try to discredit my experience saying I didn't try the right men, from the right city or from the right places, so again... the general attitude is not that different.
the gringo knows better about cultural gaps

Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #38
Trotskilicious
Banned

for example the one between gringos and everyone else but yeah ok try to be dumber please its great

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 03-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #39
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
so basically you said life isn't like the video you didn't watch and its the same everywhere

Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #40
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I was speaking portuguese smartass

Old 03-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #41
Trotskilicious
Banned

eat shit

do you think a texan doesn't know what gringo means

Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #42
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

oh really tell us what Mansplainer means in Texas, enlighten us

I mean, it might be different in some places, who knows? (you do, actually)

Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

mansplaining is a stupid phrase used by people with thoughtless, bad takes and you're a thirsty idiot, you're trying to use identity politics 101 to cut down a point about experiences not being universal. pathetic, juvenile.

mostly you want labelle to notice you tho

Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #44
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

LOL

I get it now, you still have a crush on her, but since you don't know what to do with your feelings you get aggressive (that's pretty common among straight white texan men)

Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #45
Trotskilicious
Banned

is it? i thought that was latin machismo. i thought i was talking about that, but i guess we're MANSPLAINING what i meant by "brazil is kinda different from white america"

but seriously to the block list you go, din******

Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #46
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

so sorry you were hurt by this thread

actually, I'm not, too late to learn how privileged you are

Old 03-05-2017, 11:37 PM   #47
Trotskilicious
Banned

nah keep going, you got this

Old 03-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #48
Trotskilicious
Banned

please mansplain my privledge for me about this here point its an education moment, you can critique my micro aggressions go ahead you got this my dude

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 03-05-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #49
Trotskilicious
Banned

i realize it just seems like you're thirsty and desperate and basically exactly like the OP

Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #50
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Methinks the time is nigh for libations.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #51
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I remember when a girl was called a "cocktease" if she dressed and acted in a way that was perceived as sexually suggestive but didn't want to partake in the act of male ejaculation after she had teased the said cock into some kind of "active state".

Like she had teased the cock, and that was undesirable. Should have been a cockpleaser, basically.

God, for us plebs, the 90s were utterly fucking vile

Now, those kinds of guys are the same underneath, but they don't even fucking realise it. It's like the stupidity compounds with every new generation

Old 03-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #52
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I remember when a girl was called a "cocktease" if she dressed and acted in a way that was perceived as sexually suggestive but didn't want to partake in the act of male ejaculation after she had teased the said cock into some kind of "active state".

Like she had teased the cock, and that was undesirable. Should have been a cockpleaser, basically.
they call it "attention whoring" these days i think

what about a cucktease? that would be a sexy lady who goes around and trolls all the pepes and makes them wanna hatebate because her photos are :fire:

i wish i was her

edit no wait i totally don't because she gets death threats like overflowing her inbox on all social media platforms

Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #53
vixnix
Socialphobic

Pretty sure the best solution is feeding them to polar bears who are starving because of habitat loss

Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #54
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
uh ok, so basically you said life isn't like the video you didn't watch and its the same everywhere

cool good talk very false
Labelle didn't seem to make a comment about the video. RBG asked her a question about whether men will claim to be feminists in order to try to pick women up, and Labelle responded to that by saying:

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's super common. From my experience, lots of guys believe themselves so above it that they don't realize when they are sexist or improper. They aren't necessarily declaring themselves feminists though.

What happens way more than it should is guys switching up their behavior almost completely when they realize things aren't going the way they want. I've had guys get really aggressive with me in the past because I didn't want to go outside a bar with them, for example.
Labelle's comment wasn't about the veracity of the scenario presented in the video, which she immediately admitted to not watching due to regional restrictions. It was about the fact that, in her experience, men will often try being "nice guys" at first, but then get salty and aggressive as soon as the woman declines to bend to their every request.

I'm not seeing how mentioning that this behaviour isn't specific to Brazil is making some sort of gross global generalization. She didn't even say that every culture is exactly the same (we can all agree that gendered interactions vary across the world, and will look different in places like Sweden, where there are more comprehensive laws against harassment, than they do in places like India, where "Eve teasing" is a thing). She only said that this particular cultural phenomenon is "not that different" (note how this language implies that she is not saying that there are no differences) between the U.S. and Brazil.

I mean, I live in Canada, and even I get told by women about men suddenly changing their demeanor as soon as a woman rejects them. It's likely not just people from Latin American cultures where machismo is even more emphasized than it is in Anglo-American cultures, and it's likely not just rural white country dudes who like monster trucks. It's probably very often some urban middle-class white college dude in tennis shoes and Nantucket red chinos who didn't need to get his first job until age 23, and calls himself an "investor" because he shares Forbes and Business Insider articles on Facebook and has bought BitCoin before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
It's tough because you are under extreme social pressure to be a feminist but women want you to be one without declaring it or wearing it like a badge of honor. But whatev.
I dunno if men are really under "extreme social pressure" to be feminists. Most men don't seem to identify as feminists, and they are getting by in society just fine.

I think it's more that men who do identify as feminists can often get a social bonus from it, because "they must be such amazing guys to, like, think women are people and all that." Dudes kinda get belly rubs and brownie points for it.

Of course, there are also social sanctions, like being called a "cuck" or "beta" or something. These sanctions usually come from other men. Or, you know, other men acting like you're an uptight buzzkill. It's hard to say what the net social effect is. The world is complex, there are a lot of variables at play.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 AM   #55
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

that's exactly what i was going to say

Old 03-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #56
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
mansplaining is a stupid phrase used by people with thoughtless, bad takes
I don't think "mansplaining" is a useless term in general. I think it just gets misapplied very often.

Like, it seems to be a very real phenomena that men will often underestimate women's competence in a given domain, and explain things to them in ways they would not to a man. Women who know more about cars than their male partners still talk about having to bring them along while shopping for cars because the salesperson will only discuss technical matters with him, and will pat the woman on the head and go "You see all this stuff under the hood? This is what all cars have on the inside of them. This is what makes them go 'vroom vroom'." Men will talk to a woman with a PhD and explain her own field to her Lots of this stuff is anecdotal and based on reported experiences, but it seems like it would be fairly simple to demonstrate that such biases are at play though an experimental design in which sex/gender is the manipulated variable. There's probably plenty of research on it already.

There will also be times when men explain things that women are most likely more informed than them about, like about menstrual experiences or something.

But the term also seems to get inappropriately thrown around in internet debates to describe "advancing an argument I don't like while also being a male." Instead of explaining why his argument is flawed, one can just kinda act as though the very fact that he advanced an argument at all is inherently wrong because he doesn't get to have an opinion on this, and by doing that, one can safely save oneself from having to advance one's own counter-argument. I mean, it's totally true and fair to point out that one's social situation and experiences could bias once's perceptions. It's another thing entirely to act as though the truth of a proposition is dependent on who is making that proposition, and that a proposition can be dismissed for the sole reason that the person stating it is a male (a literal ad hominem).

I've seen pretty egregious misuses of the term "mansplain." For example, in the comments of one popular feminist blog, somebody disagreed with the columnist, citing experience in the field of psychology to argue against a claim. The columnist was charged with "mansplaining," because the issue had to do with sexual violence, and of course women inherently know most about that. Except, as it turns out, the commentator was also a woman, and when she revealed this, the response was just, "well, it doesn't matter, because you're being just as arrogant as a man, anyway." Nowhere in this interaction did anybody even address the commentator's point.

Even though the term has fair and unfair usages, I probably wouldn't be able to point out the unfair usages because that would be mansplaining the correct usage of the term "mansplaining." The solution is pretty much to only read internet article comment sections, but never comment on them.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #57
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
a "cocktease"... male ejaculation... cock...
cock... cockpleaser...

Old 03-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #58
Trotskilicious
Banned

I was foolish itt & toase is still a moron

Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 AM   #59
Trotskilicious
Banned

i come in from the trump thread looking for an argument so i apologize to labelle

Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #60
LaBelle
Socialphobic

No harm no foul.
I could have expressed myself a bit more clearly. Sorry for that.